Harley warranty voided due to flags...

KIC

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:stirthepot:

Can't even tow a flag behind it? I guess that rules out a trailer.

15 U.S. Code § 2302 - Rules governing contents of warranties

© Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.

Guess you can't add anything that would put strain on the drive train; passenger, trailer, luggage... unless of course it has the Harley name on it...

So much for the torque claims if their transmissions can't even take a little abuse.

Guess you can't add anything that would put strain on the drive train; passenger, trailer, luggage... unless of course it has the Harley name on it.......

Maybe that is why passengers usually wear HD clothing ! That allows them to ride with passengers

Funny when I first started reading it, I figured somehow it was going to come back to "not a HD " part. I like the comment about passengers wearing the garb so it would be covered on warranty. By a Victory.

Maybe that is why passengers usually wear HD clothing ! That allows them to ride with passengers

:rotfl::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotfl:

Was gasing up the other day and this couple stopped for gas on a RK and they both had the HD jacket, pants, helmets, belts, boot ....almost asked if there was matching underwear involved......but he had more tatoos than me :whistling: All tatoos where HD also:rotf::rotfl::rotf:

Oh, and they did not wave at me either :confused24: as I left and hit my brakes to light up my set of HD lights in the back :rotf::rotfl:

:canada:

...Oh, and they did not wave at me either as I left and hit my brakes to light up my set of HD lights in the back:

I'm finding that since it is still early in the season HD riders are still waiving. Give another week or two and it will only be the non-HD, non-Wing riders waving.

I get a laugh out of the gear HD riders wear too. I think they buy the clothes and Harley throws in a bike. HD is a clothing company that sells bikes... aren't they?

Went into the HD shop in Cody, Wy last summer looking for a trunk rack bag... no bikes, only a few bike accessories...sales girl was telling a woman she needed to buy the shirt she was looking at because it was new that year. I could have bought bar stools, dog collars/leash/toys, pool table, glasses, socks, underwear.... but they didn't have a single motorcycle in the place....and everything had HD logos.

On a ride the other day we stopped for a coffee and a guy got out of an SUV and started talking with us. 2012 HD with 6k km on it...hates the bike. He said his girlfriend rode for two miles and won't get back on it - too uncomfortable. He said that to get the "Harley sound" he had to put Vance & Hines pipes on it. What the "H" is the Harley sound ? LOUD ????

I'm finding that since it is still early in the season HD riders are still waiving. Give another week or two and it will only be the non-HD, non-Wing riders waving.

I get a laugh out of the gear HD riders wear too. I think they buy the clothes and Harley throws in a bike. HD is a clothing company that sells bikes... aren't they?

Went into the HD shop in Cody, Wy last summer looking for a trunk rack bag... no bikes, only a few bike accessories...sales girl was telling a woman she needed to buy the shirt she was looking at because it was new that year. I could have bought bar stools, dog collars/leash/toys, pool table, glasses, socks, underwear.... but they didn't have a single motorcycle in the place....and everything had HD logos.

On a ride the other day we stopped for a coffee and a guy got out of an SUV and started talking with us. 2012 HD with 6k km on it...hates the bike. He said his girlfriend rode for two miles and won't get back on it - too uncomfortable. He said that to get the "Harley sound" he had to put Vance & Hines pipes on it. What the "H" is the Harley sound ? LOUD ????

I think that's one thing that HD does heads and tails above other bike company's, Took my wife to 5 shops in the area to find her a new 1. Helmet 2. Boots 3. all weather jacket.

The first 4 places where non Harley shops, 3 had a decent selection of bikes but the woman's accessory's and clothing area was tiny to non existent at all 4. On a lark I went to the HD dealership and was amazed at all the items they had for women.

We found her a reasonably priced high quality all weather jacket with full liner for 120.00, a half helmet with drop down internal visor for 110.00 and some decent HD boots on sale for 75.00. (this dealership had at a guess 300 new and used bikes that I could see).

Geeze....I'm glad that I'm not the sensitive type. :)

You guys need to come over for a visit. I can take you to several Harley dealers within a few minutes of here that have plenty of bikes on the floor. You can choose about any model and color you might want and ride off on it that same day.

Now as for the clothes and other stuff. I love it. Yes, I have two HD coats, a number of shirts and Eileen does also. I love being able to walk into most any HD dealership and being able to buy and walk out with not only clothes but pretty much any accessory that I might want.

For me, it's not just a Harley thing. I would have loved to been able to buy RSV clothes, accessories and etc. so easily. The fact is, they just offer very little and what they do offer you pretty much always had to order it and wait, sometimes for MONTHS, to get certain things. I did end up with a couple of shirts and ONE generic Star jacket but that was about it. Most of the metric companies are just very poor at marketing their great bikes.

I'm sorry, I'm not bashing the Yamaha. I loved the RSV and it will always be one of my most loved rides but Yamaha has very little vision when it comes to marketing. Add to that the fact that they started discontinuing many of the RSV accessories several years before they even discontinued the bike and it just makes you shake your head and wonder what the heck they are thinking.

Yes, I love the shirts, caps, jackets, etc. regardless of the make that I'm riding. I've met and made many friends over the years due simply to the fact that I would be in a store or wherever and somebody would comment on a shirt or cap and start talking about bikes. It's not about advertising for the company but often about meeting people who share your interests.

Now I'm going to my corner and nurse my wounds. :whistling:

Yeah Don, but at least the RSV actually has a drive train that can stand up to the pull of a couple of flags at highway speeds. According to the MANUFACTURER (not just somebody bashing the HD, but the stupid people who actually build and service them!!!), you have just been told that your little "toy" is either too poorly made or too weak to handle such a slight increase in load on the drive train.

So enjoy your HD logos - the brand is obviously made for looking at and NOT for real world riding. Again, that is now a pronouncement officially made by HD themselves!

Goose

I agree. It is stupid. It is also very likely that the flags had nothing to do with the issue but they are using it as an excuse to deny the claim. In my opinion, this comes down to a dealer issue. I know of some riders, of HD, Yamaha and other makes, that have been told that pulling a trailer will void their claims for certain issues. Clutches, transmissions, etc. More than one Yamaha dealer has stated that fact and even the manual states that trailers should NOT be pulled.

I have a hitch on my Harley and my service department told me that they simply look the other way. I've had some Yamaha dealers tell me the same thing. In the end, it often comes down to knowing and having a good dealer.

To be fair though, I know of some Yamaha dealers who have denied warranty claims for some pretty stupid reasons and it is usually because they call Yamaha corporate instead of taking care of the issue in house.

One thing that Harley is doing right is customer service. I've ridden into all of the Harley shops in my area on Honda's, Yamaha's and every other kinds of metric bike you can imagine and always received the most welcoming treatment you can imagine. Not so much when I go to any of my local Yamaha stores. Also resale value is great on a Harley, much better than on any other make I've had experience with.

Oh and I really like my HD shirts and hats! :cool10:

Geeze....I'm glad that I'm not the sensitive type. :)

Now I'm going to my corner and nurse my wounds. :whistling:

Ah don't take it to bad my friend. You have one heck of a bike there and many here wish they had one just like it or even the same make, just afraid to admit it.

I get teased and ragged almost everyday on my GW. I truly don't give a rats ... what others say about it as well as any remarks they have towards my Avalanche or anything else I have.

I'm in this world to live how I want to live and do what I want, I buy what I want and I enjoy what I want. If others don't like, want or enjoy the same things as I do then so be it.

I accept them for who they are. If they cant accept me for who I am, then they really aren't a true friend anyway.

So come on out of the corner and smile with that rooster chest.

I'd ride with you any day no matter what your on. :thumbsup2:

I've been looking at the HD's myself.. who knows.. Vic, BMW, HD, another Honda or even a Burgman may be in my future. :confused24:

I am a Yamaha fan. I love my RSTD with a passion. As a matter of fact, I would even go so far as to say that i favor Japanese bikes because I know they have a proven track record of above average quality.

Now, having said that, I do not get why people bash Harley Davidson's so much. The joking that's just a fun poke here and there is expected and funny, but the serious venom that I see where you can tell people really have a dislike for the brand and their riders, I just don't understand.

The hard cold fact is; There is not another bike company, period, that is as in tune and responsive to their customers as Harley Davidson. There is one and only reason they sell all of the products that has been mentioned above, it is because their customers want it, and Harley listens and provides it for them. Bottom line. And to tell you the truth, I'm darn glad they do sell all of the accessories they sell because the stuff is usually very good quality. My riding boots are Harley brand and I love them. I don't know how many pairs of boots I went through before I found the Harley brand that I wear that are so comfortable. I don't see myself ever buying a Harley bike, but I really enjoy going to a Harley dealer and just looking around at all of the stuff they have to sell. It's really cool to see all of the different styles and colors of bikes they offer to satisfy the desires of their customer base. And another thing, I am not going to be convinced that Harley doesn't make quality bikes. When my wife and I travel across this beautiful nation on long bike vacations, 80% of the bikes we see on the road are Harley's. And for the most part, the owners I have talked to on these trips absolutely love them and have had no problems.

Meanwhile, us Yamaha fans are extremely lucky to find something as basic as a Yamaha baseball cap while we're in our dealerships. And, every model year when Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Kawi gives us their newest grandest sis boom baaa product, we get a whopping 2 color choices. It's usually Black (Midnight, Raven, or whatever you wanna call it), and a two tone color of some sort.

We have absolutely been trained by the non Harley manufacturers, but either we don't see it, or don't want to admit it. Yamaha year in and year out proves that they have no real interest in listening to their customers desires, especially their touring segment customers. As is evidenced now, they have thrown their touring customers to the ditch and focussed on something else. They absolutely hear us screaming our desires, but they have decided to give us the finger and let us scrounge for ourselves out here doing things like buying Harley exhaust pipes to put on our bikes, and as I did last week, buy Harley passing lamp rings and install them on my passing lamps so they won't look like tractor lights.

Again, I love my Yamaha bike! But, Harley is the company that cares about their customers the most. They produce a good quality bike/bikes in a ton of different options and colors, and care enough to provide their valued customers with an ocean full of accessories to keep them happy.

I ain't about to bash that. As a matter of fact, I have a tendency to be a smidge jealous.

Oh, as far as the waiving thing goes? I get waived at all the time by Harley riders, some do, some don't. But, heck I see a boat load of Wing riders (by the way, non Harley), that won't waive at ya, and sport bikers that won't (Harley doesn't make sport bikes), and Adventure riders that won't (Harley doesn't make Adv bikes), etc, etc, etc...... Who cares if they waive at me? I'm gonna keep waiving my big happy ass off whether they do or not.[/size]