IGNORED

Never heard of this

jonesy

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20082 I've never heard of this, that Philips screws on metric bikes are really JIS type screws, and that's why they strip easy. Has anyone heard of this before, not me and I've been horsing around with them since early 70's. Stripped many of them since then.

JIS is Japanese Industry Standard

Edited by jonesy
added something

It has been mentioned quite a bit before.

You 2nd genner's will become more aware of the finer points of working on a classic machine as your machines continue aging. At least those that don't trade them for an HD.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57988

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46896

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72767

Gary

Been working as a wrench Bender for many years. Always bought the best tools i could afford. Lots of bucks on screwdrivers from top names.

Bought a set of 3 JIS screwdrivers about a year ago for under $30.00 from McMaster Carr. Now they are the first ones i reach for.

If you're working on any metric these are a must on your tool box.

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

So just what is different from the JIS and a std head. If I was to take a guess its the pitch of the slots or something like that. If you replace a screw on the bike with another "regular" metric its only the head thats different right, not the thread pitch/count?

This would explain why I mangled most of the screws on the 305 dream and RD 350 I had.

So just what is different from the JIS and a std head. If I was to take a guess its the pitch of the slots or something like that. If you replace a screw on the bike with another "regular" metric its only the head thats different right, not the thread pitch/count?

This would explain why I mangled most of the screws on the 305 dream and RD 350 I had.

Here is one of the better explanations.

http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/step10/JIS-Japanese-Industrial-Standard/

The biggest issue is the root radius on the driver. Because the Phillips has a big root radius and the JIS is fairly sharp, the Phillips driver is really only going halfway into the JIS screw head before the radius hits. You are now trying to apply torque via the radius near the center of the tool and that is why it strips out so easy.

The JIS driver used in a Phillips screw will still be driving at the outer tips to transfer maximum torque.

I think it's just all of you in the states that have this issue. Over here when you buy screwdriver or socket sets they come with inserts for a range of types of screw - at least two, but usually three - the third type is 'posi-drive' and they are most common in construction. You just get used to trying each bit in the screw head to find which fits best and keep the screwdrivers that work on the bikes you fix. Philips head screws - they're the uncommon ones now. Over here anyway.

:confused: was 9 when the first car I was wrenching drew blood... it was a lot of blood too. I am not telling how long ago that was but I have never heard of this either.

I am a Plumber, Industrial Gas fitter, Power Engineer and a few other certificates I don't recall how I got and I cannot recall anyone ever mentioning this to me.

Shopping time.... all those VWs I stripped screws on too.

I bought a set of T handle JIS screwdrivers when I bought my 1977 Honda 750k....still have them. I mentioned them to our tech's at work(Honda dealership) and they had no idea what I was talking about...one of them old feller things!

Keith

I bought several Vessel Drivers from JDV Products, which is their North American distributor.

They ain't cheap but they have just about everything JIS from stubby to impact and all kinds of other stuff. It's also a certified woman owned small business, ya gotta support the ladies you know.:bowdown:

I rememebr my brother also telling me years and years ago there was a difference in "european metric" and "Japanise" metrics. While both might be a 14mm there was just enough in the Japanise bing smaller you ran a bit more risk or messing the bolt head up.We at the time had VW so we had some metic tools. But the ole Honda was still a PIA.

I have on ocasion used a #1 phillips bit because it just felt like it fit a bit better. So far I havent had any issues. Thankfully Yamaha went to internal wrenching (nice I still remember that from my USAF days) for any bolts with higher torque requirements.

It has been mentioned quite a bit before.

You 2nd genner's will become more aware of the finer points of working on a classic machine as your machines continue aging. At least those that don't trade them for an HD.

Gary

OUCH. :whistling::D