IGNORED

How long have you had your Venture?

Venturous Randy

Bought my 07 RSMV in March of 07 after Daytona bike week. I test road all touring models while down there with my best female friend from high school. She helped give a back seat opinion. I road the HD, Goldwing, and Yamaha, only full dressed touring at the time. I didn't care for the seating and feet position on the Goldwing and she said I was to young for them. The HD and Venture had about the same seating position for me but she liked the venture because of the extra room on the back seat. I also liked the RSV over the HD because it save me :mo money:

So I have had the venture now 6 years 7 months. 80K+ miles and much more :mo money: spent to personalize it to the 'Black Label Venture'

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my 83 in April of 1983, and now it's got about 140,000 miles on it. Under warranty, my dealer did the alternator stator recall, and then at 82K, 2nd gear was finished. I rebuilt the transmission, and at 92K, the frame broke. I purchased an 84 frame, and it's been great ever since. Now my brother is using it, but he hardly rode it this year. I was down at his house helping him winterize it and (and his boat) and when we got back from running the Stabyl in, he told me it's only his 3rd ride of the year.

I've had my 89 for 5 years now, and I've put 45K on it (it only had 30K on it when I bought it). It hasn't been perfect.....it came home on a trailer when the rear wheel bearing went bad. I've also done the Dano mod on the starter drive, and replaced the stator, shaft drive universal joint, and rebuilt the carbs (floats were set high, the diaphrams had holes, and also leaned out the mid-range fuel/air mixture. I haven't found anything that I like as much as the MK II though, so I guess I'll keep it for a while.

after a 20 year drought I got my 83VR 3 1/2 years ago. Rode it for one season.

I bought an 84 for parts (planning on restoring the 83), but it was so good I ended up riding it for 1 1/2 years.

Then I somehow ended up with an 88VR with lots of parts and a trailer from ebay so I sold the 84

That was 2 years ago

Last summer ('12) I bought 2 more...one to flip and one for parts.

I've spent just enough on maintenance and parts on the others that I can't afford much else....so the 83 is still sitting half naked, with nothing being done to it.:bawling:

LOTS OF PARTS FOR SALE!!!!

I bought my first Venture in 1990. It is an 86 and had 15,000 miles on it, it now has 130,000 miles. I have not had tags and ins on it for several years now. I keep saying this winter I am going to get it back road ready. 23 years

I bought my second venture in 2003. It was a 2000 mm with just over 4,000 miles on it and I sold it in 09 with 88, 000 miles.

I bought my third venture in 09. It was a 07 RSV with 14,000 miles and has 63,000miles on it now. They are all great bikes

Earl

I've had my 2007 Venturette (RSTD) since June of 2008. Bought it as a brand new hold over......

I am so new to this motorcycle world that I wouldn't know if someone was pulling my leg, or not. Is an RSTD really referred to as a Venturette by the Venture owners? If so, then my venturette (97 RSTD) was obtained 5 months ago. It is my first ever motorcycle and it came with 67,000 + miles. I was able to put close to 2000 miles on it this year before having to put it away for the winter. The county and city was out throwing road salt all over during the first snow of the season last week. I would not have gotten that many miles on it if not for the expertise given from many members of this forum on helping me through some pretty good carburetor issues. Finding this forum was the best medicine a beginning motorcycle owner could ever obtain. I just wish the downtime would have been during the winter months instead of the precious few riding months we actually have!! -Wayne

Had mine since 2005 joined here in 2006. Saw my first one when they 1st came out and instantly fell in love with it but could never afford to get one until 2005, having to settle for other cast offs which needed to be patched up to become ride able. Now that I own one I wish that I had tried Harder to get one sooner.

Edited by saddlebum

Bought my 83 in 99 and after 30k and 3 years the second gear issue popped up so I sold it and bought a 99 with 9k in early 2003. Put another 50k+ on her over the last 10 years and rebuilt the bike front to rear and she rides like new. Best bike that I have ever owned. Yes, shes up for sale but im not really pushing it.

I have always wanted a Venture since I the early 80 s, but never bought one due to fact that I heard they had so many problems. I finally purchased a 87 standard with 15,000 miles 3 years ago and have done alot of upgrades to it. I also currently have a 84 Honda V-65 Sabre, complete with factory fairing and saddle bags that I have owned since 1985 (28 years).

I took my current venture out of the crate in december of 2005 and it has 177000 miles on it at the moment and the largest repair so far is a valve cover gasket at 160,000.

I have not seen or driven anything that i would trade for yet..

Bought Big Gal(2009 RSVS) in June of 2009. Previous owner got shaken up when he dropped her in NC mountains and sold her to me with only 846 miles on it. Four and a half years later she now has 67,000+ miles on her. She is ridden daily, year round. Best street bike I've ever owned and believe me, I've owned a bunch. Would I buy another?? In a heartbeat!!

I purchased my 2001 rsv in April, it had rear ended a car so I had to replace the front forks, rotor, tire, fender, handlebars, lightbar, and fairing. The bike is rideable but I haven't put a lot of miles on it. But every single time I ride it brings a smile. Today its going to be about 82 degrees, so I'll be on the bike.:322:

Have had my Yamaha XVZ12/13 experience since 1988, moved up from an XS1100 Special. Awaiting a new premium touring bike from Yamaha.........and not any glorified cruiser style Harley copycat like the gen 2.

Riding since 1955 learning on a Harley flathead springer with dead-man clutch and side shifter on a rutted Alberta prairie road.

Couldn't stop moving as a cloud of blood thirsty mosquitoes was chasing me.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA