IGNORED

The Storm of War

Squidley

I have been on a Top Secret (well maybe not so much) mission for the past couple of months. Some of the Houston members have met Dana Braquet (formerly csmbrak, now Sgt. Maj.) who lives over by Winnie TX. Dana has a '99 RSV and had some work to do to the bike, due to some damage on the bike from a drop.

He decided to "Theme" his bike for every person who has had to travel into harms way with our military. Dana is a retired Army Command Sergeant Major, retiring after 20+ years of service to our country. For those of you that don't totally understand the rank system in the Army, a Command Sergeant Major IS the top dog of the enlisted ranking. They are the assistants to the Generals and the liaisons between the officer and enlisted. Now Dana is not the type of guy to brag of himself, he joined the Marines in 1970 and was in the Corps until 1976. He then left the military for a few years, only to reenlist into the Army where he spent the remainder of his career and subsequent retirement from. He spent time in Afghanistan as a CSM and is one of the best people I know. I was very honored that he asked me to help him with this project. I have been over to his place probably 5 times now, to help with the complete disassembly and subsequent reassembly of his '99. This has been a labor of love for both of us as Dana has looked to me for some guidance in the assembly of the bike. It has been a great time, through all the long days and hard work, putting the bike together. We have laughed and joked, I heard great stories, and told a few myself. Dana honored me by insisting that I took the bike on it's inaugural ride. I resisted at 1st as this is a very beautiful machine with a very deep meaning, but he was insistent that I took the 1st ride, and I did for him....but I was VERY nervous :yikes: It felt good to be on it though, and my rightwristitis kicked in a few times as I knew the bike wanted to sing after 5 months of being apart :whistling:

I don't have a lot of the nekkid pics of the bike, but it was bare! All the tins and ABS body panels were off and that was an adventure doing the surgery. So here are some pics for y'all to enjoy, and the story in Dana's words. If you get a chance to spend some time with Dana, do so, he is great company with a great personality. He's the kind of guy that I would follow into Hell, because I know he would bring me back out....he's THAT kind of guy.

BTW I want to give props to the guys that painted the bike.

The paint job was performed by Gonzo's custom paint and body out of Groves Texas

http://gonzoscollision.com/

The artwork was done by John Janis of Port Arthur Texas

The Storm Of War

The Storm is different for each soldier that comes out in the combat zone. When a soldier goes on a mission they must clear their head of all other issues. Put them in a compartment of their brain, and close the door. They need to focus on the mission. Their life and the lives of their team members depend on them staying focused on the details of the mission. If they survive the mission , then they debrief, and are released until the next mission. They return to their eight by eight space in the tent that they call home. Then the door opens in the brain and lets the Storm out. The Storm is all the other things a soldier thinks and worries about when they are not on a mission. Things like, their Salvation. They need to be right with their God, because the next mission might be their last. Their Soldiers, have we trained enough to see the dangers of the mission and survive. Spouse and Marriage, is their bond strong enough to last through this deployment? Kids, how much they miss and love them, and want to get back to them. Family, it's how much they miss their family members and long to see them. Life, are they ready to go back into the world and function as a parent, a Spouse and bread winner. Death, their own death or the death of one of their Soldiers, will they be able to handle it and continue with the Mission?

There are eight subliminal thoughts in the Storm of this bike. If you look close you can see them. This paint job is dedicated to the Storm of every Soldier in combat. Once they return home to Family, friends and the responsibilities of life, the Storm is still there, but it has changed. When they are alone or asleep the door opens and the Storm is what they went through, what they did, and what they can't forget and the question of why did they live, and others did not. Some of us handle the Storm better than others. Some have a real tough time with putting those things in the right perspective or compartment of the brain. Then to learn how to deal with, and forgive oneself and move forward, becoming that productive person they remember. There are also two eye's on the bike as a reminder that the eye of the mind never sleeps.....GOD SPEED

Edited by Squidley

Now Dana is not the type of guy to brag of himself, he joined the Marines in 1970 and was in the Corps until 1976. He them left the military for a few years, only to reenlist into the Army where he spent the remainder of his career and subsequent retirement from.

Well at least he had some great initial training.

Oh Rah !!

Very nice looking bike !!!

:backinmyday:

Gary

That is one awesome looking bike, now I understand why you were fearful for giving it its first test ride...................You guys did good, and the paint job is awesome, which really doesnt say enough about it. Looking forward to seeing it in person some day. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Wow! Thanks Brad for the kind words. What you failed to mention was that if not for you it would still be in pieces on the shop floor. There is not a way to thank you enough, but I'm gonna give it a hell of try.

Thanks my friend

Dana

Wow! Thanks Brad for the kind words. What you failed to mention was that if not for you it would still be in pieces on the shop floor. There is not a way to thank you enough, but I'm gonna give it a hell of try.

Thanks my friend

Dana

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::clap2::clap2:YOU ROCK!!

Thanks my friend

Dana

It was my pleasure Dana, I'm thankful that we were able to share time together and make the bike what it is

:thumbsup2:

It's a beautiful bike! I wish my Dad were alive so I could show the pics and story to him. Dad was a WW2 vet (Army) Pacific theater, and his demons from the war followed him into his senior yrs. I never heard his stories and his service record with the Army was lost. But I know he walked the Bataan death march. I just wish we knew then what we know now about PTSD. People tried to say he had a weak character because he spent so many years in a bottle. Many never knew the battles he'd fought and fought in his head til he died. I was 23 when Dad passed in 1997. Had I known then what I know now about PTSD I would have gotten him help. My hat off to Brad and Dana for a beautiful project bike.