IGNORED

Oil Changes on Road

leo3wheel

Any place that does oil changes will take the oil. Also any part store will also take it.

Okay, I will ask before attempting an oil change. Estimating trip to be 6,000 miles. I may be okay doing nothing or just changing the oil filter. Will decide when the time comes. Thanks!

I might would make sure had a fresh change before I left and just ride it out. Other option is like someone suggested, buy a disposable type drain pan maybe a turkey roast pan (alum a couple bucks) and then just go out in the autozone or equivalant parts store and change the oil. Turn in the oil and filter and on your way again in maybe an hour.

on our long trip around oz when getting near change time would pick up oil and filter then ride till we found a main roads camp site where they had bluemetal and old road bituman dumped we would dig a hole park the bike over the hole dump the oil and filter in the hole fill it in and move on .

I usually do the wally world routine too, but must say I LOVE stopping at ol back road cowboy towns out west and interacting with the old style station folks while I change oil - its always worth the extra couple bucks they charge for oil just to chat .. I have yet to have a wally world auto center turn me down when asked to use a drain pan and funnel and disposal is free.. I dont normally change filters while on the road but I do loosen my filter cover and drain the oil from the filter before refilling. My first Venture back in the 80,s came with a quick change oil plug (pull a pin and slide a little door open) - made for very easy changes an quick get aways..

Last year out at Sturgis I finally found good use for a rally book. I had to make a funnel out of several pages to change out the oil in my 83 Venture.

Edited by we2riders

Okay, I will ask before attempting an oil change. Estimating trip to be 6,000 miles. I may be okay doing nothing or just changing the oil filter. Will decide when the time comes. Thanks!

I'm an Amsoil believer (10w40). 6-7k miles is ok for me, that's my normal change.

If you want, change the filter mid way.

Amsoil states 25k for cars, 9k for bikes.

If you are in the 5,000-7,000 range for a trip I'd agree that changing the oil and filter before you go and running it until you got home would be fine. 5,000-6,000 miles on regular oil wouldn't be a problem. 6,000-7,000 would be better to run synthetic (my opinion on synthetics).

I run synthetic all the time in my Venture and car.

Then, I'll be sure to stop in LA for the oil change. :rotf:

Leo, you could estimate when it will be time to change your oil and then suggest to a member or two close to the area that it is maybe time they had a Maintenance day at there place.:thumbsup2: Also if you didn't know Autozone carries the filter for our bikes and also has Valvoline motorcycle oil.

Whether you're changing, or adding, oil on a trip a funnel can be made out of a heavier magazine cover and a piece of tape. Just roll it into a cone, tape it, and cut a bit off the end.... Makes the job a lot less messy and it's disposable afterwards.... :)

I agree with running synthetic and just not worrying about it. I don't do many trips of that distance but I run Mobil 1 for motorcycles and would not be at all concerned. I did a trip a few years ago that was somewhere around 6500 miles and changed the oil and filter when I got home. Didn't concern me at all.

If you're on Mobile 1 - change before you leave and you'll be good for the trip

oooops - redundant, should have read all the posts

Leo, you could estimate when it will be time to change your oil and then suggest to a member or two close to the area that it is maybe time they had a Maintenance day at there place.:thumbsup2: Also if you didn't know Autozone carries the filter for our bikes and also has Valvoline motorcycle oil.

I have done this and I welcome anyone the use of my tools and garage shoot I may even supervise.

Rick, Planning to join the Galena 2013 International Rally and then head west. Fellow rider in Colorado offered to help me with oil change, if I choose to do so. Or, he said we could go shooting. :)

Guest scarylarry

Or maybe a member here will loan a garage for a cold beer...