IGNORED

--- Twinkies ---- !!

GeorgeS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something even better will be gone. During the warm weather when I rode the bike to work, I used to go right by the Wonder Bread factory (Rte. 45 & I-55, just SW of Chicago). The smell of bread baking was fantastic. For me, that is a greater loss than Twinkies.

Frank D.

Better buy a box and freeze them before they all disappear.... Never open the box.. Years to come they will be a collectors item...:stickpoke:

I don't know that you'd have to freeze them. I think they're like cockroaches. They'll survive anything. :rotf:

Sounds to me like the workers cut off their noses to spite their faces.

I bet someone buys the rights to Twinkies and starts to make them elsewhere. They are too well known and loved.

Like everything else, if they do get bought out they'll move the manufacturing overseas. 18,000 jobs will be gone. Those 18,000 will end up either unemployed or making 1/2 what they were.

Twinkies in Chinese (Simplified) looks like 奶油夹心饼

Welcome to progress.

Twinkies are no big loss, BUT THAT ALSO MEANS NO MORE SUZYQ's !!! :depressed::soapbox::crying::bang head:

Amen brother!! I feel your pain. They're my favorite!! :crying:

It appears, from what I read on their site, they will sell their iconic brands. So it may just be that someone else will buy the rights and start making Twinkies, Suzy Qs, etc.

Weston (Canada) has already said they will NOT buy the rights/brands.

(from article in The Toronto Star)

"...In Canada, Wonder Bread is produced by George Weston Ltd. of Toronto, and Saputo Inc. in Montreal holds the licence to bake Hostess brand cakes, although it does not make Twinkies....

....Weston spokesman Geoff Wilson told Canadian Press on Friday that it has no interest in acquiring the manufacturing assets or brand names of Hostess in the U.S."

It's always the miss managment that causes this but the people would rather be on welfare than work. Older companys are in trouble because the business is passed down to the kids and grandkids who never had to work for anything,now then they run them into the ground.

It's always the miss managment that causes this but the people would rather be on welfare than work. Older companys are in trouble because the business is passed down to the kids and grandkids who never had to work for anything,now then they run them into the ground.

Combination of mismanagement and the bakers union. See how much they make at Walmart. I am not a fan of unions at all. They were a good thing back in the day, but they are nothing but trouble now.

Combination of mismanagement and the bakers union. See how much they make at Walmart. I am not a fan of unions at all. They were a good thing back in the day, but they are nothing but trouble now.

Cutting there own throats just like the Detriot News did. No fan here either , my dad was a union man(Asbestos Local) and he always said unions are for lazy people. They had their time. I have a lot of UAW in the family and used to listen to them brag about how much money they would make . Stories of sleeping and only working 4 hours and getting paid for 12 . Thats why companys go broke .

Took my wife to lunch today, and had to drive past the local Hostess Bakery Discount store. They were ten times as busy as they usually are...and we all know why.

Stop at the very small local grocery store on the way home, and while I was lookinbg for a bag of frozen succotash (yes, I am old, and someone will need to explain what succotash is to the younger riders here), I found that the store has only two packages of Twinkies left on the shelf. In the case of this small store, that is probably their normal inventory. If anyone wants the last two packages of Twinkies in my small town, let me know.:080402gudl_prv:

Weston (Canada) has already said they will NOT buy the rights/brands.

(from article in The Toronto Star)

"...In Canada, Wonder Bread is produced by George Weston Ltd. of Toronto, and Saputo Inc. in Montreal holds the licence to bake Hostess brand cakes, although it does not make Twinkies....

....Weston spokesman Geoff Wilson told Canadian Press on Friday that it has no interest in acquiring the manufacturing assets or brand names of Hostess in the U.S."

That's just it. They have had several investors and other operations interested in taking over the company at different times over the last few years. But because of all the bickering and stalemates with the unions they have backed out. One top company stated clearly that if any of the unions went on strike they were out. Well, you see how well that worked out.

It was tough watching some of the guys leave today. Some have been there for over 20 years. Some of the unions have given up a lot to keep the company going and keep their jobs while other unions would not give an inch.

What a mess. :thumbdown:

Mike