IGNORED

--- Twinkies ---- !!

GeorgeS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have a Twinkie craving, just make your own:

8 ounces (two sticks) unsalted butter (melted)

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs

2 ¾ cups all purpose flour

¼ corn meal or polenta

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt

1 ¼ cups buttermilk

Whisk together butter, sugar, eggs and buttermilk. Fold in dry ingredients. Spoon into prepared moulds and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Once cool, trim the tops and inject filling.

Filling

16 ounces cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

1 vanilla bean scraped and pod discarded

One of the more frustrating things in all this is that, of the various unions involved, only one is holding out " the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union". Even the Teamsters (Yeah, that's right, the Teamsters!) were supporting the company and according to reports were even crossing picket lines to get the job done! The Teamsters!!! What is wrong with these guys? Have they not seen the unemployment figures in our two countries? Have they not seen all the jobs going overseas?

I think I need a Twinkie! Oh crap ... where are they?

Andy

One of the more frustrating things in all this is that, of the various unions involved, only one is holding out " the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union". Even the Teamsters (Yeah, that's right, the Teamsters!) were supporting the company and according to reports were even crossing picket lines to get the job done! The Teamsters!!! What is wrong with these guys? Have they not seen the unemployment figures in our two countries? Have they not seen all the jobs going overseas?

I think I need a Twinkie! Oh crap ... where are they?

Andy

Yup, I understand poeple do not want to take a pay cut. I had to take a $10 per hour pay cut when the company I work for went under. Union bakers make pretty good coin. Now, welcome to the real world. I know plenty of UAW workers here in Michigan. Alot of abuse. If I ever tried sleeping on company time.....out the door I would go. If I was told to do something and I come back with "that ain't my job"....I won't have a job. Unions breed laziness, pure and simple. I am not saying that all union workers are useless, but they do not do anything to change the "common" mans mind. It really too bad. Like alot of poeple here, I grew up on that stuff. A real shame.

My father in law was an electrician and belonged to a union. We used to have some heated conversations. All I had to say was, "unions are the cause of most of the problems with our country," and he would come un glued. I have heard him brag about working, uh, showing up on weekends or holidays and getting double and triple time pay and going behind the building and goofing off all day. A friend of mine worked with the Miller Brewing Company here and he told me the number one reason for firing people at the plant was for sleeping on the job. Unions were needed when they were first organized but now they have gone too far.

After 10 years of being in business, I have had the local labor union, hounding me to join there groups. I 10-99 the mail every time. ( Trash it ) Now, I've been bidding on County jobs, and the Bigger builders ask if I'm a member of the local Union. ( doesn't seem like that work will be coming my way anytime soon )

Unions had their time and purpose years ago when employers took advantage of employees and treated them unfair (general statement). Nowadays with labour laws and employee rights unions don't serve the purpose they used to. Now it is about contract negotiations and defending employees against the employer (usually when the worker does something that contravenes rules of employment or harassment).

In Hamilton, Ontario... there used to be two major steel makers. One unionized, the other not. The unionized company would go on strike, sometimes for weeks/months... and the non-unionized company would match the contract. The non-unionized workers wouldn't lose pay for having to go on strike and would reap the benefits. The union would try to convert the non-unionized workers and try to get them to force a vote for a union... usually using the argument that they should support their fellow workers at the unionized plant, and "see... we negotiate for you and see what you get", and also saying it was unfair of them to benefit from the union having to strike to get them better pay and benefits.

Look at the deals the "Big 3" auto companies negotiated with the UAW/CAW over the years. Takes two sides to agree on a deal. Not just the unions to blame for the perpetual retirement benefits/pension contributions that almost put all three of the auto makers under.

I work in the computer department for a non-unionized company (Japanese auto manufacturer). Periodically a union is standing at the parking lot exit trying to get employees to sign union cards to force a vote and get the union into the company. This is at a time when union membership has fallen drastically with the recession and job cuts elsewhere. They want to recruit members to get union dues... and to help pay for their leaders condo's in Florida.

One funny thing with this situation is that when we want to deal with companies for things like network cable installation... we can ONLY use UNIONIZED labour. If a non-unionized company is used we have to prove that local unions were unable to support the work. The unions have threatened to pull all of their people from the plant if we use non-unionized company/labour where a unionized company is available.

My father worked for Massey Ferguson for over 40 years as a labourer. During the early years there was reason to have a union. Now... they don't serve the purpose they used to. If an employee has a disagreement with management, there are established resolution processes and peer reviews where fellow team members review and decide on issues. They pay us fairly (match Big 3 rates and benefits) and treat us well. I don't think 7,000 team members paying the union over $1,000 each per year would gain them anything.

Twinkies - "sugar-filled heart attack caplets"

Ingredients

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening – containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40.

A single Twinkie contains 2.5 grams of saturated fat, representing 13% of the recommended daily intake of saturated fat based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkies

I worked for a union company in Hamilton Ontario when I was 20 or so.

They made railway cars.

During the year and 9 months I worked there, there were 2 wild cat strikes which lasted several days each time....and a 4 month general strike.

I was making 3.95 per hour at the time and when the contract came up, the company offered us 7 cents an hour

We went on strike for 4 months.

During that time, I had to sell my bike, give up my apartment and move back home with my parents.

16 weeks lost wages at 3.95/ hour = $2528

This was in 1972 or 73. That was a LOT of money! (STILL IS!)

After 4 months, we settled for 2 cents an hour more than the original offer .

2cents: and they called that a win?

I went down the road and spent the rest of my working carreer at the non union steel mill that XV100SE was talking about. No more strikes.

Because they didn't want a union to get in there we were treated pretty good.

They had what they called an "open door policy". If you felt you were unfairly treated, you could go above the head of the supervisor to the next supervisor and go as high as you felt you had to.

Because they didn't want a union to get in there we were treated pretty good.

Imagine how you could have been treated without there being a union at the other plant.

There are two sides to every story. Both good, and both bad. With the way things are going in this good ole US of A, with the cost of living steadily going up, fuel cost sky rocketing, utilities going up, groceries costing more, and on and on. Just how fair is it that the companies continually looking to reduce expenses, ie labor cost, while paying CEO's millions. I ask you this, what is wrong with someone looking out for the worker?

Imagine how you could have been treated without there being a union at the other plant.

There are two sides to every story. Both good, and both bad. With the way things are going in this good ole US of A, with the cost of living steadily going up, fuel cost sky rocketing, utilities going up, groceries costing more, and on and on. Just how fair is it that the companies continually looking to reduce expenses, ie labor cost, while paying CEO's millions. I ask you this, what is wrong with someone looking out for the worker?

Abosutely nothing, but it cost these workers theirs jobs. Now they can go work for Walmart or Meijer for minimum wage. If they are lucky enough to get hired!

Quoting a news story concerning new mediation talks that may lead to bankruptcy and liquidation of assets or may result in a new settlement and renewed operations.

Members of the BCTGM union went on strike after workers were asked to accept pay cuts, diminished health benefits and a reduction in contributions to their pension fund from $100m a year to $25m a year.

It also emerged that some members of the management had received 80% pay rises at the same time.

Abosutely nothing, but it cost these workers theirs jobs. Now they can go work for Walmart or Meijer for minimum wage. If they are lucky enough to get hired!

Unions or not....that is the main aim of corporations, anyway.

Have everyone work for minimum wage while CEOs and shareholders make millions.:confused24:

Oh...and "consider youself lucky" ( they keep reminding us) if you can get one of THOSE ( minimum wage) jobs.

We will soon be kissing boots of these people for food, never mind minimum pay.

Boy am i glad i am retired....:banana:

Edited by chabicheka

Unions or not....that is the main aim of corporations, anyway.

Have everyone work for minimum wage while CEOs and shareholders make millions.:confused24:

Oh...and "consider youself lucky" ( they keep reminding us) if you can get one of THOSE ( minimum wage) jobs.

We will soon be kissing boots of these people for food, never mind minimum pay.

Boy am i glad i am retired....:banana:

Lucky duck! I wish I was, but I have a looooong way to go. I see what these companies are doing everyday. It's a crime.

16 weeks lost wages at 3.95/ hour = $2528

After 4 months, we settled for 2 cents an hour more than the original offer .

2cents: and they called that a win?

Kinda funny it takes a year to recoup the wages you lost and then your 2 cent raise can pay the yearly union dues.

:rotf:

Brad

Managements gets bonuses because they save money. We are asked to shave expenses because every $ spent adds to the cost of the cars we make. Instead of "nice pens" we get cheapies, turn off lights when not in a room.... you get the idea.

Martha Stewart is a good example...This from an article in the Toronto Star :

"A week ago Friday, MSLO reported a 17 per cent plunge in third-quarter sales and a quintupling of pre-tax losses. The company is folding its Everyday Food magazine into the flagship Martha Stewart Living, and will do the same with its Whole Living if it can’t find a buyer for that health and fitness journal. MSLO said it will lay off as many as 70 employees, or about 10 per cent of its workforce. That’s not a big number, as these things go. But then, for all its fame, MSLO is not that big a business.....

...MSLO has lost money most years of its existence as a public company, its profits having peaked 13 years ago at a modest $25.6 million. Stewart’s firm has racked up staggering total losses of $185 million over the past eight years.

Yet Stewart is among America’s most lavishly-paid business executives....

...Stewart has paid herself some $30 million in the past three years alone, including — draw a deep breath, corporate governance reformers — a $3 million “retention fee” for agreeing to remain employed at her own company. Shareholders also pay $30,000 a year for Stewart’s personal trainer, $73,230 for her “weekend driver,” and stipends of $179,317 and $230,769 last year to her sister-in-law and her daughter, Margaret Christiansen and Alexis Stewart, respectively. (This data is taken from MSLO’s own Securities and Exchange Commission filings.) "

If an executive is doing well at increasing sales and profits and managing their employees fairly (without nepotism) then they deserve big bucks. A company not doing well.... rally the troops, treat everyone alike...

Speaking of things we tax payers fork over... how about public CEO's that quit and still get huge payouts ! Lots of examples here with Universities and Hospital CEO's that quit and then get millions.

In the warehouse complex next to me is the Hostes Distribution Center privately owned and run for Northern New Mexico and on Friday afternoon he took all 27 of his employees to lunch. At lunch they learned the center ways being shut down. He is hoping the manufacturing plants come to an agreement soon so he doesn't have to file chapter 11. These aren't low wage jobs as most of his employees have been with him for over 15 years and were looking to retire from there. Many of them will loose everything and have to live off their 401's untill it is gone. GE is also laying off 300 here due to the cut backs to the military. 2 years ago GE closed the jet engine plant here and laid off 1500 people. NM is pretty much a welfare state unless you work for the state a city or at one of the labs. I'm seeing more and more 50+ year old people out of work, but haven't given up work at fast food restaurants or entry level jobs. What a waste of experience. I know it's not bad everywhere, but this last year the bad economy has pick up speed here, more and more mom and pop businesses are closing down. Good luck to all of you working, may you help pay it forward during this time of year.

Shamue.

Well, its a sad day for America !!! Sounds like there Ain't going to be

any more " Twinkies " !!!! at the grocery store !!!

Whats next ???? Will I be able to buy a new " Chevy " next year ?????

:stirthepot: :stirthepot: :whistling:

US companies are not in business to a) make needed products, b) provide employment to citizens c) support the US economy or even d) provide income to shareholders. They are in business to siphon off maximum dollars to the senior executives. Taxes? Its cheaper to hire a creative accountant and put a few bucks into all the political candidates' election funds.

Then, when the cow collapses from being over milked and underfed.....

You can bet your bippy that the senior execs at Hostess all have Golden Parachute contracts that will pay them better to dissolve the company, than to have to WORK and manage the company in a profitable manner. They'll all walk out with multi-million dollar packages when the company is sold off. The execs will get their money first. The shareholders will get 10cents on the dollar for their shares. The employees are expendable.

Thats what the American dream has become.

well! last week i applied for a job with the local hostess bakery they had just posted. maybe i'll be taking down the equiptment and get it ready to ship to mexico! a company there has stated it was wanting to buy the rights to make hostess products. i've never had any problems with finding work but it has been 4 weks since i got terminated. looks like most companies is waiting to see how the year ends and next year starts off. i've been doing hvac work for over 40 yrs and never seen it this bad! it started back around june when things started slowing down and has never really picked back up yet. still waiting on state to aprove me for unemployent pay but it only about 30% of what i was making a week. i don't see how anybody can survive on it.for the last 15-20 yrs about all the big named a/c mfger has gone to mexico to do the assembling of their units, goodman/amana is the only company thatsall made in usa. i have been installing them since 1991 and haven't had much trouble with them.wel thats all i have to say on that.