IGNORED

Bald Eagles

tufftom4

Found this out about the name...

First of all, bald eagles are not bald.

Some people say this bird was given the name "Bald eagle" because the lighter feathers on its head make the bird appear bald from a distance. In fact, the word "bald" comes from the old English term "balde" which originally meant white, not hairless.

The bald eagle's scientific name, Haliaeetus leucocephalus, stands for:

sea (halo), eagle (aeetos) and white (leukos), as in the feathers on the eagle's head. So there you have it, the bald eagle is a seabird with a white head.

Hope that helps...

Rick F.

They are called Bald Eagles because from a distance the early ornitholigists thought that they white feathers made them look like they did not have any feathers on their heads.Or at least so I was taught in 9th grade biology.

And what Rick said,ya beat me to it.

My oldest son and his wife live in Clermont, Fla. on a small lake. He called me a while back and told me about seeing one swoop down and pick up a snake from the lake. He said he still sees them once in a while around Lake Louisa. There was a pair that spent a couple of months hanging around near my family farm last year about 30 miles west of me. As far as anybody can remember there has never been any in this part of Ky. One of the neighbors said he'd heard that the state released a pair of them at Ft. Knox and that it was probably them. It's a cool sight to see regardless of where you see them.

I was riding along the Lake Ontario shore line east of Rochester near A park called Chimney Bluffs when one flew right over me. It was the first time I'd ever seen one in the wild like that. Didn't even know there were any in the area, even though the Montezuma area has been used as a nesting sight to release birds into the wild.

Theye both look like they have white feathers on thier heads.. so why do they call them BALD eagles? :stirthepot::think:

I too always thought it funny. They have beautiful white feathered heads. Bald are turkey buzzards. http://readreidread.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/vulture1.jpg

• 5 years later...

I know a resurrected thread right?.. but we were out recently & saw these guys.

Not THAT unusual around here, they are often scavenging on the local salmon.

Just thought you may like to see

Sorry for the quality, I had to use my phone handheld on full zoom.

C. Eagles at Dump Feb 2018.jpg

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111615

When you get that many eagles together you call it a Squadron.:sign killer dude:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111615

can you see it now?

They are a little hard to see because I was using my phone but these two were pretty close to the edge of the road near my house. One was feeding off a roadkill deer carcass and the other was off to the side, maybe standing guard? I took the picture through the window of my truck and as I pulled back onto the highway one of them took off. That's when you can really appreciate their size. The wingspan most have been nearly 6 feet.

IMG_0400.JPG

Its nice to see that their numbers are increasing. We do not have that many that stay around here as far as nesting goes. The size of them are pretty intimidating. We are on a major migration flyway along the Lake Erie lake plain. Literally thousands of birds fly over day and night through here. The amount of buzzards alone on some days is staggering. Spring is close I smelled the first skunk when I left for coffee this morning.:happy34: As bad as they smell who would think that you wouldn't mind smelling them.:think: