IGNORED

gear jump under acceleration

I have just recently begun to experience a jump or pop from the drivetrain under moderately heavy acceleration. I first thought it was coming from the rear end as I have had it happen in both first and second gear. Nothing is whining or grinding. I pulled the final drive apart after work and no problems there. I am now beginning to suspect the middle gears may be jumping a tooth under acceleration, but from everything that I have read so far they rarely have problems. I am open to any suggestions.

I have just recently begun to experience a jump or pop from the drivetrain under moderately heavy acceleration. I first thought it was coming from the rear end as I have had it happen in both first and second gear. Nothing is whining or grinding. I pulled the final drive apart after work and no problems there. I am now beginning to suspect the middle gears may be jumping a tooth under acceleration, but from everything that I have read so far they rarely have problems. I am open to any suggestions.

Probably a bent shift fork. No easy fix besides getting into the transmission. :(

It actually never jumps out of gear or into another gear. Rather, it feels like it jumps a tooth while remaining in the same gear. This happens in more than one gear. I am assuming (and we all know where that leads) that broken gear teeth in the transmission on multiple gears would cause noise. It rides normally otherwise though it does limit my ability to accelerate.

That is a bad one. Was fixed in the mid 1400's I think.

Picture attached of parts that are bad.

Motor case must be split to fix, longer it is left unfixed, more damage is done to gears & shifter fork.

Thrust washer need replaced on end of output shaft by bevel gear.

Gary

Bummer. I'm guessing all my hot dogging caused it to finally rear it's ugly little head. I'm kinda hoping that if I ride easy, I might make it until winter. Would a V-Max transmission have the same problem? I had considered putting one in even before this problem cropped up. My plans were to strip it to the frame this winter and correct any and all problems that I found as well as give it a new paint job.

Bummer. I'm guessing all my hot dogging caused it to finally rear it's ugly little head. I'm kinda hoping that if I ride easy, I might make it until winter. Would a V-Max transmission have the same problem? I had considered putting one in even before this problem cropped up. My plans were to strip it to the frame this winter and correct any and all problems that I found as well as give it a new paint job.

VMax will fit. Gear ratios are not the same as a Venture, somewhat opposite of what I expected for ratios. 1st less effective for acceleration, 2 & 3 are geared identical gearing. 4 & 5th are less effective for top end. These differences are very small though.

The 1985 VMaxs also have had the same tranny problem as the 83-85 Ventures.

It is not an expensive fix if you catch it early. Bypass 2nd gear for remainder of year and that will help it, not as much fun I know.

Gary

I pulled the final drive apart after work and no problems there.

You pulled the driveshaft out and inspected the splines on both ends?

My '85 started doing similar and what I found (after it stripped them completely) was the splines were totally rusted out. I'm talking about the inner splines in the pumpkin where the driveshaft goes into the pinion gear.

Both sets of splines in the rear end were well greased. Here's a strange update. As I said earlier, I had pulled the final drive after work to inspect it (it's my daily ride). After reassembly, I took it for a ride around the block. The gear jumping effect only reoccurred under full throttle acceleration and only at the upper rpms. The rear axle shaft on dissassembly seemed like it wasn't torqued very tight which is strange as I torqued it recently when I replaced the rear tire (and yes, it had a cotter pin through it). That doesn't make sense though as the splines between the final drive and the rear wheel are long and showed no signs of wear. Just the same, I will ride it gently until I can get a chance to pull the engine and split it.

Just skip 2nd gear till you fix it. We rode west years ago without 2nd gear in the 83 we had. It was a great trip with no worse transmission problems. As was said the thrust washer at the end of the output shaft is the real culprit. It wasn't made hard enough causing it to wear past acceptable limits thereby letting 2nd gear find a made-up neutral. OUCH. One thing about it it scares the *#@! out of you when it happens.:D

Just skip 2nd gear till you fix it. We rode west years ago without 2nd gear in the 83 we had. It was a great trip with no worse transmission problems. As was said the thrust washer at the end of the output shaft is the real culprit. It wasn't made hard enough causing it to wear past acceptable limits thereby letting 2nd gear find a made-up neutral. OUCH. One thing about it it scares the *#@! out of you when it happens.:D

OK. I'm confused. The OP says that it happens in first and second gear. Why has everyone zeroed in on the infamous second gear problem?

OK. I'm confused. The OP says that it happens in first and second gear. Why has everyone zeroed in on the infamous second gear problem?

ya, I wondered about that too. I'm also now confused whether it's actually jumping a gear or just "jumping something" within the same gear.

My 87 Venture was doing the same thing .IT FINALLY TOTALLY QUIT MOVING.THE SPRING LOADED CAM DAMPER gear busted into 4 different pieces

Best thing to do is fix it, think about bevel cutting the 5th gear dogs and the 2nd gear slots to match so they try to pull each other together under acceleration (that's what I did to my '84) and I tried mightily but could never make it skip again.

My 87 Venture was doing the same thing .IT FINALLY TOTALLY QUIT MOVING.THE SPRING LOADED CAM DAMPER gear busted into 4 different pieces

It sounds to me that this is the problem. The 2nd gear problem in the early Ventures won't leave you stranded. The damper gear however, could leave you with 6 neutrals and on the side of the road. You're going to have to take it apart and see what's up.

Frank D.

I had an 85 and that was the first sign of losing second gear. Under light load no problem but under heavy acceleration it would jump in and out of gear like that. I just rode it like that until another problem occurred and I just started parting out the bike and bought a newer one.

Others here have fixed this problem. Its only a washer on the second gear shaft that is made of too soft a metal and mashes flat causing the second gear to disengage. The part is cheap but getting to it means pulling the engine to open the cases and get to the stinker. Others have done it. I chose not to based on my mechanical skills and the cost. I found my 87 locally for $2500. and went that route.

Hi guys! My first post on this site. I hope I am not hijacking your thread but I have a question regarding this exact problem.

I am going tomorrow to do a possible trade of my Honda Helix for a Yamaha Venture. The guy has three of them that I can chose from. After reading about the second gear problem I am having major second thoughts. I know for sure at least one is an 84 which falls into the problematic years.

Is this problem hit or miss or is it just a matter of time before it happens? Everyone seams to love their ventures but I do not want to get a bike that I am going to have pull the motor or sell the bike for peanuts when it happens.

Thanks

Dave

Hi guys! My first post on this site. I hope I am not hijacking your thread but I have a question regarding this exact problem.

I am going tomorrow to do a possible trade of my Honda Helix for a Yamaha Venture. The guy has three of them that I can chose from. After reading about the second gear problem I am having major second thoughts. I know for sure at least one is an 84 which falls into the problematic years.

Is this problem hit or miss or is it just a matter of time before it happens? Everyone seams to love their ventures but I do not want to get a bike that I am going to have pull the motor or sell the bike for peanuts when it happens.

Thanks

Dave

HI David Welcome to the group. After 1/2 way thru 85 model year the issue was fixed. If you want to test if 2nd is weak take the bike out and give it wide open throttle in 2nd gear, if its weak it will jump out. From what ive seen it looks like over 50% of the bikes will have the issue, but it doesnt hurt the bike you can just skip 2nd gear when driving it, as 2nd gear just fails to engage when the bushing gets worn.

You are safe from the 2nd gear issue on anything 86 or newer.

Brian