IGNORED

People tailgating or following too close.

hog

Hi everyone.I have had it with people tailgating me on my bike.I have actually had some so close all I could see was the hood of the car.But I finally found a way to get them to back off.May sound kinda gross to some of you but I have done it three times now and each time it has worked.I just kinda flip my head back and sideways a bit as I spit over my shoulder.Don't know if it is actually hitting the windshield or they see me and realize what I am doing ,but all three times I have done it they back off real quick and one even flipped me the bird as I pulled into the turn lane as they passed me.I may survive going down but I really don't want to be run over by a car following too close if I do go down.

I have had a car or two follow me too close, but mostly they seem to follow at a respectable distance. I wonder if it's positional riding that makes a difference. I always, (well unless I forget) ride to block my lane. I try to make sure that the person behind me doesn't even in the slightest get the idea that maybe they could sneak past me. So on a 2 lane road, I ride the left track, totally blocking my lane. If I do get one that seems to want to be towed, I first wave them back and if that don't work I slow down and eventually turn off at my most convenient location. I will never move to the right hand track, and let them envision to be able to pass me on the sly.

I have had a car or two follow me too close, but mostly they seem to follow at a respectable distance. I wonder if it's positional riding that makes a difference. I always, (well unless I forget) ride to block my lane. I try to make sure that the person behind me doesn't even in the slightest get the idea that maybe they could sneak past me. So on a 2 lane road, I ride the left track, totally blocking my lane. If I do get one that seems to want to be towed, I first wave them back and if that don't work I slow down and eventually turn off at my most convenient location. I will never move to the right hand track, and let them envision to be able to pass me on the sly.

You must have more civil drivers than we do.

Around here, if you hold solid to the left track they will ASSUME you are going to stay there and take the shoulder and the right track to pass.

I paid my road taxes, I own a full lane and I use every bit of it.

There is no correct track to be in for all circumstances. I am from the weaver mentality.

I am constantly back and forth between tracks depending on the circumstance of the moment.

If some one is to close, I first flash the break light a few times, If they don't get the hint, I just go slower and slower, as soon as there is a safe place for them to pass, I slow way down so that they will pass.

There are some that just have such a severe case of cranial rectal inversion that there is nothing you can do except get off the road. On a 3 lane interstate with no traffic I had a jerk that was traveling at least 15mph faster than me, in the right lane and just glue to my bumper. Speed limit was 65, I changed lanes, he followed, I slowed all the way to 40 and he still stayed right on my bumper till I pulled to the shoulder. and he finally realized that there were2 empty lanes he could pass in.

I have thought about carrying some pea gravel in my shirt pocket to flick up over my shoulder.

I almost always make left turns from the right track and right turns from the left track or I WILL have some cage sharing MY lane.

i was coming home from Branson one year on the road to springfeild when this old lady kept riding my butt so i moved over to the right rut so she could pass me when she got the chance well she did pass me in the same lane i was in then she pushed me over to the shoulder while she was doing all this another car was passing her in the other lane. mean while there was another biker following us when we got to a place to pull over the other biker pulled in to. we started talking about what had just happened to me then he shows me his shirt pocket it was half full of good size ball bearings he said that when ever he feels a car is to close and trys to let them go around and the dont he just flicks one of the ball bearings over his shoulder he said that gets there attention real quick and they back off in a hurry. myself i dont think i could do that

Well I just pull over, let them go bye, and Usually they just start tail gating the next car in line !!! Its not worth getting into an argument, or confrontation with them. As this could lead to an " Ugly Situation " I have had that happen in the past.

Best, to just pull over, or take a right turn, or do whatever you can to simply

remove yourself from the situation.

Remember, on a motorcycle, YOU, are nothing more then a " Target" !!! and Easy Pickens !!! Go Away, and stay alive !!!!

Anyway, thats my 2 Cents worth, on the problem.

One more comment, on Tail Gaters, over the years I have noticed, that most of them, are young females, between 18 to about 30 years old. Hmmmm??? why??

Don't know. ( just an observation ) :confused24::whistling:

I will politely point at them and wave them back away from me. Then show them a thumbs up gesture of my thanks and approval of distance. This normally has worked for me.

If this doesnt work, I just slowly let off the throttle but I stay right in the middle of my lane.. as I am slowing down, I motion for them to fall back again...this usually gets thier attention and they fall back..and again I will give the thumbs up gesture and then politely wave at them.. They never get close to me again..

I have never had to come to a complete stop yet, but close..

we started talking about what had just happened to me then he shows me his shirt pocket it was half full of good size ball bearings he said that when ever he feels a car is to close and trys to let them go around and the dont he just flicks one of the ball bearings over his shoulder he said that gets there attention real quick and they back off in a hurry. myself i dont think i could do that

I know of a guy that used to ride, that also carried a pocket full of ball bearings, but he didn't flick just one over his shoulder. Said he threw a small handful over, claimed it always got their attention.

we started talking about what had just happened to me then he shows me his shirt pocket it was half full of good size ball bearings he said that when ever he feels a car is to close and trys to let them go around and the dont he just flicks one of the ball bearings over his shoulder he said that gets there attention real quick and they back off in a hurry. myself i dont think i could do that

I know of a guy that used to ride, that also carried a pocket full of ball bearings, but he didn't flick just one over his shoulder. Said he threw a small handful over, claimed it always got their attention.

If you choose that route, go with glass marbles. Once they shatter, they are nearly indistinguishable from windshield glass.

Edited by AzBones

Weaving erratically and flashing the brake lights (without actually braking) seems to work wonders for me. In the rare case that does not work, I just pull off to a side street, parking lot or whatever as soon as safely possible.

Remember that if they were to hit you they would be at fault, but as a motorcyclist, you lose every time.

----

As a friendly reminder, in most states it is against the law (at least a misdemeanor) to trow ANYTHING from a moving vehicle. That is totally independent of whether it does damage or not.

Throwing marbles or ball bearings toward some people is just like pulling a gun. Some people would take you down in a heartbeat if you don't get away from them. I did take the lid off my water bottle once and slung it all over some girls car.

As I have matured, I am a lot more likely to wave my hand indicating them to move back or wave them around, even if it is a rural two lane and double yellow, if it is clear. If it is bad enough, I will almost come to a stop waving them around. I also do the weaving thing and a lot of times that works.

Yes, I will also say that a lot of bad tailgaters are young women. I also like to wave them around when my radar detector is going off. :whistling:

RandyA

on an interstate I slow down (never below 40) and turn on my 4 way flashers. don't allow others to make you do something illegal/stupid. If someone ball bearinged my car i would definately call 911 and have them arrested. Plus... If you do that to a hothead and they will just run your ass off of the road...

on rural roads: at passing zones i slow down till they pass, if they don't,i put my 4 ways on, slow down to a stop, put my kickstand down and wave them by. In one case i went back and explained to the young lady i didn't appreciate her riding my ass, as if a deer ran out in front of me or my engine died for any reason it wouldn't turn out good for me. She gave me the finger and passed my "still on a kickstand bike"...LOL

P.S. she was also gabbing away on the phone. :confused24:

I have had the same response as Eck. For the most part when I have waived the driver off they will back away. Occasionally there are the a'holes but 90% are just driving like they would if they were following another cage and don't even realize they are that close. I will also make sure that the closer they are to me the farther away I am from the cage in front of me. That way I eliminate my need for any typre of hard braking.

While we're on the subject, I hope everyone takes the same care when approaching a stop light. Do you pay attention to the cage behind you and make sure they are slowing? Do you approach the cage in front of you at an angle that would allow you to pass along side of it in case the cage behind isn't paying attention? I have a number of lights I hit daily that are on a divided road carying high speed traffic. One is only a half mile after the road changes from controlled access and is on a curve. I make sure I'm very aware of the cage behind.

I have had the same response as Eck. For the most part when I have waived the driver off they will back away. Occasionally there are the a'holes but 90% are just driving like they would if they were following another cage and don't even realize they are that close. I will also make sure that the closer they are to me the farther away I am from the cage in front of me. That way I eliminate my need for any typre of hard braking.

While we're on the subject, I hope everyone takes the same care when approaching a stop light. Do you pay attention to the cage behind you and make sure they are slowing? Do you approach the cage in front of you at an angle that would allow you to pass along side of it in case the cage behind isn't paying attention? I have a number of lights I hit daily that are on a divided road carying high speed traffic. One is only a half mile after the road changes from controlled access and is on a curve. I make sure I'm very aware of the cage behind.

That's it exactly... always have an exit plan when coming to a red light. Don't take your hand off the throttle or take it out of gear until you're certain that the cage behind you (or two) has come to a stop.

I do the same with one exception. I will move from my selected track If I feel I am not visible enough for example hidden from view by a larger vehicle. I that case I will put myself were I feel I am most visible to any and all traffic. For example moving to the center or even the right track of the left lane if it makes me more visible to oncoming traffic intending turn left.

With regards to being followed to close it has been rare. My biggest issue is when in the right lane of two left turn lanes at an intersection, the car in the left of the two lanes feels it is perfectly fine to sweep across into your lane half way through the turn, despite the fact that seconds before you were sitting side by side waiting for the light to change and he/she even looked over at your bike while we are stopped. a couple of times I was so close I felt like kicking in their side door.

My biggest issue is when in the right lane of two left turn lanes at an intersection, the car in the left of the two lanes feels it is perfectly fine to sweep across into your lane half way through the turn, despite the fact that seconds before you were sitting side by side waiting for the light to change and he/she even looked over at your bike while we are stopped. a couple of times I was so close I felt like kicking in their side door.

Yep a well known maneuver. The rule is that you turn into the lane you came out of, but happens maybe only 30% of the time, so we need to be ready for that, if we're not, then we have something to learn.

Funny this thread appeared. I have NO TOLERANCE tor tailgaters. I actually had to get off the bike yesterday (Saturday) morning on my way to work. When someone tailgates me, I kind of turn sideways alittle and motion with my thumb to back off. If that does not work I get off the bike at the next light and ask them why they are tailgating me. Yesterday morning some a$$hole was doing just that on Groesbeck. I motioned for him to back off, (I was in the right hand lane on a 3 lane road) he just got closer. At the light at 13 mile turned back and told him to back off. He jerked up closer almost hitting me. Game on b*&ch! Off the bike and in through his side window I went. I grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him through the window a bit and asked him what the problem was. Told him if he hits my bike, he's going to the hospital. He did not think he was so funny with my hands on him and my face in his. In the words of Strother Martin... Some poeple you just can't reach.....well that's the way he wants it.....well.....he get's it.

Poeple tell me I need to manage my anger. But I would not have to if they would manage their stupidity.

Wow you guys live around some BAD drivers. I will say this: I used to ride extremely aggressively on my crotch rocket (R-1 a bike that Yamaha does seem to want to improve on a regular basis) Then I had problems, I was run off the road tailgated etc but. I haven't had that problem in the three years since I've been back in the US and now I'm just riding my RSTD.

What I have been getting mad about lately, Is when a smoker from a car throws there smoke out of the window. heck I didn't even do that when I used to smoke .

How about a dirty diaper flying by your head? Happened to me years ago. I pulled up beside the two women in the car and the thrower started apologizing immediately. But who the hell does that?

I usually give a bit of a swerve as if I might lose control and they back right off. I was thinking about golf balls. Bigger than bearings but they don't damage the windshield so they can't claim damages or even prove anything happened.

I always look behind me at a light and plan an escape route forward just in case.Many years ago I was in my car stopped at a red light in the left lane and a bike pulls up in the right lane beside me.I happened to look in my rear view mirror and saw a truck coming in his lane and was not slowing down,speed limit was 50 mph on this road.Everything seemed to be in slow motion and I honked my horn and yelled at the biker and motioned for him to go through the light but he did not understand why I was doing this and the truck hit him as he looked at me like I was nuts.The truck never hit his brakes till he hit the bike.The biker was killed instantly right beside me and I will never forget that as long as I live.The truck driver had dropped a cigarrette on the floor and was trying to pick it up.

Funny this thread appeared. I have NO TOLERANCE tor tailgaters. I actually had to get off the bike yesterday (Saturday) morning on my way to work. When someone tailgates me, I kind of turn sideways alittle and motion with my thumb to back off. If that does not work I get off the bike at the next light and ask them why they are tailgating me. Yesterday morning some a$$hole was doing just that on Groesbeck. I motioned for him to back off, (I was in the right hand lane on a 3 lane road) he just got closer. At the light at 13 mile turned back and told him to back off. He jerked up closer almost hitting me. Game on b*&ch! Off the bike and in through his side window I went. I grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him through the window a bit and asked him what the problem was. Told him if he hits my bike, he's going to the hospital. He did not think he was so funny with my hands on him and my face in his. In the words of Strother Martin... Some poeple you just can't reach.....well that's the way he wants it.....well.....he get's it.

Poeple tell me I need to manage my anger. But I would not have to if they would manage their stupidity.

Some people gotta be trained like mules. ...You club them between the eyes first to get the attention ...then you start the training

Well I just pull over, let them go bye, and Usually they just start tail gating the next car in line !!! Its not worth getting into an argument, or confrontation with them. As this could lead to an " Ugly Situation " I have had that happen in the past.

Best, to just pull over, or take a right turn, or do whatever you can to simply

remove yourself from the situation.

Remember, on a motorcycle, YOU, are nothing more then a " Target" !!! and Easy Pickens !!! Go Away, and stay alive !!!!

Anyway, thats my 2 Cents worth, on the problem.

One more comment, on Tail Gaters, over the years I have noticed, that most of them, are young females, between 18 to about 30 years old. Hmmmm??? why??

Don't know. ( just an observation ) :confused24::whistling:

All the young good looking ones tailgate me trying to get my attention.