IGNORED

New Member... Looking at '86 Royale Tomorrow and Need Advice

C4pt4inMatt

I recently sold my '89 Radian as I was looking to get into something a little more suited for longer hauls and the Venture caught my eye. I found a '86 Venture Royale with 74K miles that I plan to check out tomorrow. I called the owner and he had this info to pass:

Runs great although lately haven't ridden much and therefore at low engine speeds need to apply a little choke. Has the air shocks, cruise, clock, factory am/fm/cb, intercom, headphone for both riders, driver back rest, wind wings, highway floorboards, aux driving lights, extended chrome fender w/ fender trim, trunk rack, chrome light bar on trunk, waterproof cover and dust cover, taller windshield, venture bags, excellent condition paint, tires are good, garage kept.

Currently owned by an elderly gentleman that has owned it since '92. He has done the service himself or with a mechanic friend. He seems mechanically inclined as also restores old cars. He said he had the clutch plates replaced not too long ago. It was laid down once by the owner before him but only the slightest little scrape on the mirror was the only damage and he said he has had no issues with it since. I am planning on riding out tomorrow to go check it out and was wondering if you guys had any advice. He's asking $3500.

Does this seem like a fair price? I have spent the past few days scouring this site learning as much as possible. I plan on asking if he has had any issues with 2nd gear and if the starter has had any high heat issues. Beyond that any other advice would be appreciated. I am familiar with Yamaha carbs as I was constantly cleaning and syncing the carbs on my Radians. If I do end up tearing into these ones I know to check the diaphrams and hope there are no issues there. If I were to negotiate what would be the areas of concern? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing what y'all have to say.

Matt

Welcome to the site. There was no issues with 2nd gear on the 86-93. Check all the buttons for radio,intercom, handle bar controls, air suspension. ( only works on center stand and with key on acc.) Running with choke alittle,maybe seafoam will clear that up. Look for cracks in plastic and the pins broke off on side covers ( easy fix). Look at clutch and brake fluid for very dark color, if it is they will need to be bled and replaced, good idea anyway. I'm sure more will join in with other things.

I recently sold my '89 Radian as I was looking to get into something a little more suited for longer hauls and the Venture caught my eye. I found a '86 Venture Royale with 74K miles that I plan to check out tomorrow. I called the owner and he had this info to pass:

Runs great although lately haven't ridden much and therefore at low engine speeds need to apply a little choke. Has the air shocks, cruise, clock, factory am/fm/cb, intercom, headphone for both riders, driver back rest, wind wings, highway floorboards, aux driving lights, extended chrome fender w/ fender trim, trunk rack, chrome light bar on trunk, waterproof cover and dust cover, taller windshield, venture bags, excellent condition paint, tires are good, garage kept.

Currently owned by an elderly gentleman that has owned it since '92. He has done the service himself or with a mechanic friend. He seems mechanically inclined as also restores old cars. He said he had the clutch plates replaced not too long ago. It was laid down once by the owner before him but only the slightest little scrape on the mirror was the only damage and he said he has had no issues with it since. I am planning on riding out tomorrow to go check it out and was wondering if you guys had any advice. He's asking $3500.

Does this seem like a fair price? I have spent the past few days scouring this site learning as much as possible. I plan on asking if he has had any issues with 2nd gear and if the starter has had any high heat issues. Beyond that any other advice would be appreciated. I am familiar with Yamaha carbs as I was constantly cleaning and syncing the carbs on my Radians. If I do end up tearing into these ones I know to check the diaphrams and hope there are no issues there. If I were to negotiate what would be the areas of concern? Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing what y'all have to say.

Matt

I bought mine from a member of this site for 2500, and I've seen them in varying condition from 2000 to 2500, 3500 seems to me a bit high, but I've not seen it. Even so, if it is in

excellent condition as described it's probably a good deal, IMO. :080402gudl_prv:

86RoyalStar.jpg

Edited by Wanderer
add photo

If it's an 86, then tings you'll need to have done, either already done or shortly in the future:

- Carb diaphragms,

- Grease the swing arm with maybe some parts if the grease has left.

- Steering head bearings will need to be adjusted and greased

- Wheel bearings should be serviced at least.

- Class system needs to be serviced.

- Brake cylinders need to be taken apart and serviced as well as the clutch cylinders.

- Grease the speedo cable and speedo head.

- Take apart electrical connectors to clean a lubricate.

- Check for cracks in the plastic, especially around the connection joints.

Seems like quite a list, but it's all doable. The only real cost would the carb diaphragms.

flyinfool, are you referring to this thread by skydoc?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65738

If so I already have it printed out and will be putting together a little checklist from it.

Buckshot, thank you for the clarification on the '86+ motors not having the 2nd gear issue. I knew they changed the engines in '86 but couldn't remember if the problem was the MKI or MKII.

I kind feel the price is a little high also and that's why I would like suggestions on the areas I might be able to explain to the seller as to why it should be less. I realize he probably has some sentimental attachment to it and I do not want to insult him nor rip him off as I am not that kind of guy. I just do not want to pay more than it is worth. According to NADA, excellent condition which is described as bikes reserved for concours or show quality and values that at $3370. Very good seems more inline with his description as it is very presentable, original motorcycle that shows minimal wear or a fully restored bike that does not meet concours standards. All systems functional and in need of no repair. That is listed at $2340. With all that in mind it would seem the $2500-$3000 range is more reasonable. Does logic seem viable when it comes to negotiating? Thanks again for your input.

Edited by C4pt4inMatt

Marcarl, what is the Class system you mentioned that needs service?

I definitely don't mind tinkering and checking things, in fact I have been pretty bored since I finished my Grizzly 660 build so looking forward to a little wrench time.

CLASS refers to the air suspension system.

I also ride an '86 that I bought in 2005 for $2800.00 with 72K on the meter. I had some paint things to do and have had to clean the carbs but now have another 30K on it.

The $3500 seems a little high to me but sounds like he wants to recoup the costs of the farkles.

Add some Seafoam to the tank and ride it hard on the way home. Will clear up most of your carb issues.

Dave

CLASS = Computer Leveling Air Suspension System. If it works fine don't worry about it immediately but what happens is the solder connections on theinput connector develop hairline cracks and you will eventually get an error message. Easy fix to just resolder the connections.

As far as the idle issue, a can of Seafoam added to the gas tank then drive it like you stole it followed by new plugs should pretty much fix that problem, but as mentioned, the carb diaphragms may have pinholes in them.

Overall you will find the Venture royale one of the best touring bikes out there. They are pretty much bulletproof. Unless that bike is pristine and in top mechanical condition then his asking price is a tad high. You should be able to pick it up for under $3000. Start your bartering at $2000 and think cheap episode of "Pawn Stars..."

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate your explanations. Here is the list I will be taking with me of things to check, let me know if I missed anything.

On center stand:

1. Check all three brake rotors for bluing (LF and rear are no longer avail)

2. Check both front fork seals

3. Check front tire for splitting and tread

4. Check steering head bearings

5. Check coolant overflow bottle to ensure not empty (under door above CB on upper right side)

6. Look at engine oil sight glass to verify oil level

7. Look at fish eye on front brake and clutch master cylinders, draw sample of rear reservoir

8. Remove false tank cover and remove fuse box lid to ensure none missing or jumpered

9. Remove air box lid and check for oil on bottom

10. Check swing arm bushings and bearings (sit next to bike and push side of tire with foot)

11. Check rear tire for splitting and tread

12. Look at water pump weep hole (right side in front and below brake) for signs of leaking/staining

13. Look at front of water pump at elbow to ensure crash bar has not damaged

14. Check fairing for cracking

15. Start bike and run for a while to let fan come on (should come on at ¾ temp gauge)

16. Once fan comes on shut off, then try to restart again

Hey Matt,

It sounds like you did your homework very well. If this bike has the Ventureline Driver Backrest, And the Cassette works, (Take a tape with you) and NONE of the items on the check list are an issue, then this bike is worth $3250.00 TOPS. If this bike doesn't have the backrest, the cassette doesn't work, the brake fluid is cola colored, the water pump elbow has the gash in it, and you can't see the oil level because the window is dirty, then this is a $2000.00 bike Tops. If he will not budge on the price, then try "walking away". You can still call him in a day or two and give him what he wants. You are buying a motorcycle during the worst possible time of the year for buying a motorcycle. I would be prepared to spend a bit more for this bike, but NOT $3500.00

If it had 38,000 miles on it, maybe.

Keep your cool, don't be over excited about the bike, and you should do fine.

Go get um', Tiger! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Ha, I just tore the house apart looking for my one cassette I had from back in the day (Pink Floyd's The Wall). Use to listen to my dad's a lot but I guess it shows my youth that I was just old enough to start into music right when CDs came on the scene and therefore never accumulated cassettes. If only I could run to my local Best Buy and hit up the cassette department :(

I just bought an 86 with a lot of extra's like fog lamps, driver floor boards. Everything worked but it did need the calipers cleaned and new pads front and back . It only had 35k on it and I only paid $2500.00. So mine has half the mileage and was a thousand dollars less. Not sure if that helps but that's what i paid and this is my second venture. My first was an 85 and paid $1800. for that. It was a little rough but still hadn't developed the second gear problem. Anyway I'm happy with my 86 and the price i paid for it.

So I went to check out the bike yesterday, but unfortunately did not buy.

The bike itself is immaculate. All the plastics look to be in almost showroom condition. It had the wind wings and a goldwing backrest, highway boards, along with all the other bells and whistles which all seemed to work except for the driving lights. The negatives were that I think the valve cover gaskets were cracked leaking and blowing oil everywhere and the tires were from late '04 - early '05 albeit with decent tread. Event though he recently replaced the fork seals the right seal was still leaking also. On top of all this, it was originally listed for $3450 and when I try negotiating showing him book values and whatnot offering $2500, he says no right away. At this point I ask what his bottom dollar is and he says $3950, yeah $500 more than it was listed for. I show him the ad and he says his friend screwed up and it should have been higher. Needless to say with the mechanical work that is needed and whatnot, I did not proceed from there. It's unfortunate because it was a very clean bike but I cannot see paying that much when there are early 90's Goldwings and lower mileage Ventures for the same. The hunt continues.