IGNORED

Honest advice needed

there's a lot of good advice here for you but one thing you need to know before you ride the v-4. it get it power in the upper revs and it has a rev-limiter on it thats set low and you can't hurt it by hitting the rev-limiter. when you ride it whine out the gears and you'll feel the upper end power as it gets into it. i had 3 royals and only have some whine in my 01 around 50-55 mph but it's not loud. i had an 82 goldwing that had more whine in it. you can also checkout www.lakehillmotors.com which is in MS and they have really good prices which is out-the-door. you maybe able to print out their ads and see if you can use it to talk down your dealer. i've put over 100,000 miles on my bikes all together and haven't had any problem with any of them. good luck on your hunt for your bike, don.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cst, I had an 06 rstd midnight I couldn't give it away and ended up trading it. Just something to consider. The rsv's may have a better resale. Not a lot of people want the rstd's.

thats because they haven't done their homework.

Well, I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam. I bought a new leftover 08 RSTD in may of 09' and after 53000 miles and a payment that quadrupled I fell on hard times and unfortunately she had to go. Good side is that with in a few months I found my "Betty's" twin sister on Craigslist with only 11000 miles, another blue/black 08 RSTD for 6500.00. I've refitted all Bettys old gear on Bessie and lovin' every mile. I've had 0 carb issues in nearly 3 years on these bikes. They only take a few minutes to synch and when they're in tune they can really light up the stop light drags. :innocent: The TD is a great fit for us tall guys. I'll say if you can find one on a good deal, scoop it up cuz it wont be around long.

I think they are both great bikes. I still like my rstd but I am selling simply because I can not affod two and we like the comfort of the RSV for our long rides.

Oh yeah.... ditto on the 06 pearl white. best looking bike out there.

bikea1.jpg

CSF you may have already made a decision and if you went with a Star you made the right decision. Mine is a 99 RSV and whines like a bear, but I don't notice it once I get on the road and as far as the carbs go if you keep them in sync there's not a problem. It loves to get on the road and run. Join VR as the people on this site are a wealth of information and more than willing to help with information for you. Oh, in the ego boost category mine gets more attention when I park it at events than any of the Harley's around it and that attention comes from Harley riders who love the look over their rides. :cool10:

Thanks again for the additional replies. I will admit that while I'm not thrilled with the carburetors I have owned many Japanese bikes with them and they have all generally been reliable. I do find the combination of the V4, the air suspension, the comfort, the liquid cooling, and the cruise control intriguing. But I have decided the dealer's price is too high so I will return to see if they will come down by at least another $1-1.5k. If they will I will seriously consider buying the bike as it is a brand new bike. If they will not deal any further I will look into some other cruisers and tourers, or some a nice used RSTD . . .

thanks again to all

Craig

If they will not deal any further I will look into some other cruisers and tourers, or some a nice used RSTD . . .

Welcome and Good luck in your search. Curious you mention the RSTD but what about a looking at used Ventures, whhich have a few more features and is almost the same bike.

Brad

I will return to see if they will come down by at least another $1-1.5k. If they will I will seriously consider buying the bike as it is a brand new bike.

thanks again to all

Hi, cfs

You're right. Make them an offer of a 1000.00 or 1,500.00 less and see what they say. I'll bet they take it!

I bought my RSTD new 2 years ago (March 2010) and paid 10,999.00 from Lojak cycles just outside of Pittsburgh. It was also a leftover with 0 miles. I was expecting it to have at least some miles on it from test rides but it didn't. Anyway, I love mine. I now have over 28,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all. I did take a ride on a 2006 leftover before I bought mine and it had a LOUD wine and a Loud chirp that I know would have gotten old real fast. That bike is STILL sitting at that dealer!

If the weather here in Somerset, Pa holds up (AND IT LOOKS GOOD right now) I'll be leaving for "the March on Rome" meet & eat this Thursday...so hurry up and get a bike and join me for a 1,200 mile round trip lunch break.

Mark

Craig

I have three bikes on the road. a 2007 venture midnight, a 2008 FJR and a 2004 goldwing. The venture is by far my favorite bike, followed by the Goldwing, the FJR is just for thrills. I can ride the Venture all day for weeks without suffering. the goldwing is smooth quiet and built for a 5'10" 180 pounder at 6'1" and 200lb 34 inseam I find the seating cramped leg position back underneath me sort of like the FJR (raised the bars and lowered the pegs). there are aftermarket seats that move your Butt back a couple inchs for the goldwing, that along with handlebar risers would go a long way towards comfort. A lot of guys will suggest highway pegs for the wing, but you will find the fairing edge will rub on your leg and eventually chafe your leg raw. The Venture is a big heavy bike, it is top heavy and a chore arround town, but if you plan trips of thousands of miles, it would be my bike of choice.

Al

Just bought an 06 with 6k miles for $6k. Midnight edition with Chrome forks and bub pipes.

I've never had a problem with carbs. Just run them out of fuel before you put them up for the winter...and I never put mine up for the winter since I live in Texas...

Well, as the original poster I want to thank everyone so far for their input. The dealer with the brand new leftover 09 RSTD did not really want to budge off their price of $10,999. So I did not buy that bike yet. However, as things sometimes tend to work out, I have just found an 06 Venture with 6000 miles, garage kept, nearly immaculate, for about $10k. The bike is owned by an older gentleman who is downsizing the number of vehicles he owns. He will even deliver the bike to my home, 63 miles from his. The bike is under warranty for a few more months. Has new tires, new battery, a few Star accessories, and has been serviced by a Yamaha dealer. He states he has never heard a loud whine at any speed, in any gear. It did require a rear shock replacement, under warranty last year, due to a leak. I was not happy to hear that, but I am going to look at it Sat, and at this point this bike seems a better deal than a brand new 09 RSTD for about the same price but with full warranty. We will see on Saturday, but I am seriously planning to give him a deposit if it is as nice as he says. Will post more after weekend

Craig

Hello: I purchased my 05 RSTD used from a local dealer. I chose it over the RSV they also had on the show room floor because it fit me better. I was more comfortable on the RSTD with my 30 inch inseam. The crusie control, transferable warranty and lower price clinched the deal for me. Regardless of which make and model of bike you choose, do not be surprised if you have to make modifications to it. After riding mine for a while, I opted to change the handlebars, seat and windshield to get it "just right". I have 3 years and 25K miles on my bike now and love it more everytime I ride it. This site makes owning a motorcycle so much more enjoyable. Takes the trial and error out of most any modification. After being on this site for more than two years, I have learned so much about the reputation and dependability of the Yamaha brand. I will likely always purchase a used bike from here on out. Many of the members here often sell bikes to one another. Keep us posted and welcome to the site.:)

Well, as the original poster I want to thank everyone so far for their input. The dealer with the brand new leftover 09 RSTD did not really want to budge off their price of $10,999. So I did not buy that bike yet. However, as things sometimes tend to work out, I have just found an 06 Venture with 6000 miles, garage kept, nearly immaculate, for about $10k. The bike is owned by an older gentleman who is downsizing the number of vehicles he owns. He will even deliver the bike to my home, 63 miles from his. The bike is under warranty for a few more months. Has new tires, new battery, a few Star accessories, and has been serviced by a Yamaha dealer. He states he has never heard a loud whine at any speed, in any gear. It did require a rear shock replacement, under warranty last year, due to a leak. I was not happy to hear that, but I am going to look at it Sat, and at this point this bike seems a better deal than a brand new 09 RSTD for about the same price but with full warranty. We will see on Saturday, but I am seriously planning to give him a deposit if it is as nice as he says. Will post more after weekend

Craig

The rear shocks have a history of failure, so it's good he's already addressed it and had it replaced. Others have noted the replacement costs being pretty high.

When you test ride it, you will notice pretty quick how severe or minor the gear whine is. It usually shows up at 25, 35, 45, 55 mph +- and on deceleration when downshifting.

This morning I did go see the 2006 Venture with 6070 miles. The bike looks like it belongs in a showroom, and indeed was in a large garage with several other motorcycles and cars, including an antique Oldsmobile. The bike has a few Star accessories. It started immediately, everything seems to work and it has new tires, a new battery, and valid inspection in place. I was not able to ride it as it was pouring and the owner was not comfortable with me taking out it in the rain. He had no problem with me riding it on another dry day, but was adamant the bike runs flawlessly with no loud whine. In the same garage was a 96 Venture with 106,000 miles, which the owner says he still likes more than his new one. That is the only reason he is selling. We have agreed on $10,200, which seems a very fair price, and I gave him a small deposit to hold it for me. I know this is the RSTD forum, but any comments would be appreciated. I can go back to ride it but he is 90 mins away and also has other interested buyers. I know the whine can be an issue . . . .but I did put 20,000 miles on a Ducati once with a open dry clutch - ironically, people modify those bikes to make the clutch sound louder. To each his own I guess. Thanks.

Craig

I assume you mean his other bike is a 1999 Venture, since there was no Venture in 1996?

Other than that 93 was the last year if he has the old style (first Generation) venture.

If he likes his 99 better,there must be a reason , since its the same bike as the 2006.

I would personally take the bike for a good long ride before finalizing the transaction. 6 year old bike with 6000 miles likely has some dirty carburetor issues. If you need to pay to thave the carbs clean expect 600-800 at a dealer.

In my opinion, 10,200 is not that great a deal for an 06. Particularly if your dealer has a new leftover 09 with a 5 year warranty for 10,999. Personally I'd pay the extra 800.00.

RSTDdog

I assume you mean his other bike is a 1999 Venture, since there was no Venture in 1996?

Other than that 93 was the last year if he has the old style (first Generation) venture.

If he likes his 99 better,there must be a reason , since its the same bike as the 2006.

I would personally take the bike for a good long ride before finalizing the transaction. 6 year old bike with 6000 miles likely has some dirty carburetor issues. If you need to pay to thave the carbs clean expect 600-800 at a dealer.

In my opinion, 10,200 is not that great a deal for an 06. Particularly if your dealer has a new leftover 09 with a 5 year warranty for 10,999. Personally I'd pay the extra 800.00.

RSTDdog

RSTDdog

Thanks for the reply. I know I am confusing. First, the older Venture in the garage was the older style. It was beige/tan in color, I thought he said it was a 96 . . . maybe he said 86?, but it was the old style for sure. Second I am comparing an immaculate 06 Venture with 6000 miles and a few Star extras, brand new tires and battery, new rear shock and dealer serviced and inspected, under warranty for 3 more months, for $10,200 plus tax and tags . . . . with a leftover 09 RSTD for $10,999 at the dealer, who wants $500 extra for freight and setup, plus tax and tags. The Venture will be around $11k on the road, the RSTD over $1k more.

Nothing against the RSTD, but the Venture like alot more bike for less money here.

I am surprised you think this Venture is not a good deal. It was here that some suggested I look at used Ventures . . . how much less can I go on this? I don't think he'd sell it for $9k, and he has other potential buyers. It seems the 09 will be worth thousands less the second I take it out of the dealer, and it seems I cant lose too much on the Venture if I flip it or trade it..

I know you have far more experience here . . . tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks alot

Craig

He's asking full retail for it and if your willing to travel you could find a better deal. But, he may come off a 1k or more. A local dealer here has a used 09 s model for 12999 with around 20k miles which is real close full retail. There was a member with an 07 rsv for around $8500 in Fl. Not sure if he sold it or not.

If you find one out if your area, some of us don't mind looking at a m/c for another member if its close by.

Edited by jfoster

Craig,

Ok I misread your post. I thought you were comparing it to a 2009 leftover Venture for 10,999.

I agree the new RSTD will crash in value when you drive it off the lot.

Venture Vs RSTD is a personal decision based on where and how you ride and what you want. Alot of that has been discussed already.

Everyone has other potential buyers when they are selling something. I have sold a few personal vehicles in my day and I can't imagine his phone is ringing off the hook at 10,200. I would not let that affect your decision, its not the only Venture out there for sale. Just like he has other buyers, you have other bikes you are looking at, different end of the same game. If he has someone else willing to pay 10,200 if you don't want to, let him sell it. I would also still ride it first.

If you want to get an idea of whats out there and what people are asking type the following into the google search bar Royal Star Venture site:craigslist.org

Google will return craigslist listings in all cities nationwide with Royal Star Venture in the ad. Keeping in mind the way google works (except when you pay to be on the first page), links with the most activity display first, so newer or recently placed ads can be in a couple pages.

You can also search Yamaha Venture and variants. Not all people adverise them as royal star. If you do just Venture, you'll get alot of Chevy Ads. All the google search booleans work if you want to refine the search. You can actually search for anything on any site using the site:XYZ.com after the search terms.

As an example Here's an 08 with 2900 miles for 10,000 in Long Island.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/2911205335.html

If you are willing to drive or Fly and ride back, there are some deals to be had.

Derrek

Edited by RSTDdog
added link

I have a 08 RSTD, it is a great riding bike. The only thing I don't like about the bike is the heat you get off of the engine onto your feet. Your feet get very hot. I don't notice any engine wine. :322:

Buy the plexiglass lower vents. Look on line at Yamaha Cocumonga or Stadium Yamaha in Dallas area (or take that price to your local dealer, mine matched it). Anyhow, they can keep you warmer in winter and deflect the heat out in warmer days.

See link, List $200, below for $156 +ship(?).

http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/Catalog/Product/3664?categoryID=207&subCategoryID=407&catalogFilter1ID=1&catalogFilter2ID=4&catalogFilter3ID=90&catalogFilter4ID=68&catalogFilter5ID=63350

Edited by Mike G in SC