IGNORED

Honest advice needed

Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I am 51 yo, been riding for 30 years, many bikes of different styles and brands over the years but never a cruiser. Currently riding a Suzuki V-Strom, which I actually adore. I am 6'2" tall, 225 lbs, 34 " inseam.

Lately I have been considering a cruiser/touring bike. I am not interested in any Harleys, but have been looking at some Japanese bikes. My local dealer has one last brand new red 2009 RSTD, which I can buy for just over $12k on the road. He sells many brands and models, but says this bike, with all its features, at this price with the 5 year warranty cant be beat. I think I fit nicely on the bike, although I've never ridden a bike with my feet out in front of me.

I am considering this RSTD over every other cruiser due to the way I fit on it and the great V4 engine. But as I read the boards here I have discovered multiple issues, including the gear whine. It seems while many love these bikes, many also have serious issues . . . some never want to get rid of them, some cant wait to dump them. And I cant believe I"m even considering a bike with carburetors in 2012.

So I'm just hoping, without offending anyone, if any current owners here believe these are still bikes worth considering in 2012, or have they become outdated, and if that gear whine is a rare occurrence or much more common. I guess what I'm asking is should I consider this bike as a new bike purchase or look elsewhere?

Thanks alot in advance for any advice or comments.

Craig

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My '06 RSMV had the clutch gear whine. Had the basket changed under warranty. Helped some but it was still there. I don't think mine was as bad as some. Others don't have it at all. My advice is if you can take it out for a nice long ride for a day, you will soon enough know if it has the whine and if it bothers you.

Truth is, they are an awesome machine and every scoot out there has some kind of "issue". Even my Wing ... aside from the fact that it is a crotch rocket in a Cadillac shell, it too has a whine. Some have it, some don't... just like the Venture. This whine, fortunately, is only noticeable from idle up thru to 2nd gear... after that, you don't even know it's there. It's caused by the alternator gear drive ... which incidentally (as I am to understand it) is straight-cut gears. At least on the Venture, it's an easy swap of the clutch basket... on the Wing, ya gotta pull the engine.

As for having carbs versus fuel injection ... so what? A little more maintenance over the long haul but carbs have been in use for eons ... there's nothing really wrong with having them IMO.

Good luck!

If I were to buy one of these, I would not buy a new left over 09 for 12K. If you search You can can probably pick up an 08 or 09 bought new with low mileage that was bought in 2010 or 11, with 3 to 4 years of warranty left for 7-8K. FYI the 5 year warranty transfers. You can buy this bike used with more warranty than most bikes come with new.

These are the only liquid cooled, shaft drive cruisers with electronic cruise control that I'm aware of. This is my first cruiser. My last bike was an ST1100. My wife loves the RSTD as a passenger. I like the bike alot, but for solo riding I can push it harder than it wants to go.

Decide what type of riding you want to do, then decide onthe bike. I can tell you I can't keep up with my co worker who has a Vstrom 1000 in the twistys and he is disapointed in the V strom handling coming off an R6 but loves the comfort. With bikes Its all about trade offs or you need to own more than one.

My bike as the whine/chirp but doesn't bother me. Straight cut gears are straight cut gears. Some are noiser than others due to manufacturing tolerances. It is what it is. I think all in all you would be hard pressed to find a more reliable cruiser with more features than the RSTD. If you want Fuel injection,give the Stratoliner/Roadliner a look, also reliable, but its V twin, air cooled and belt drive. You don't need any special tools to diagnose or clean carburetors. Its all about Trade offs...

RSTDdog

Straight cut gears are straight cut gears. Some are noiser than others due to manufacturing tolerances. It is what it is.

Exactly.

Most Yamaha street bikes use a straight cut gear set for the primary drive. They're strong and maintenance free but are noisier than a chain primary. I have yet to run across one I couldn't hear. None of the ones I've been around/ridden bothered me. There may be some that are excessively noisy, or the sound itself may be more annoying to some people than it is to me.

You needn't ride one far to see if it's a problem. I had someone drop a Tour Deluxe (same drive train) off at my shop yesterday and I could hear it as he came around to the overhead door. I can hear my 89, and I think most others, in neutral at about 3KRPM.

Make a test ride a requirement for any you buy.

Carburetors really aren't an issue unless you neglect them. Let them sit a long time with stale fuel and they'll gum up. While FI is less susceptible it can happen there too. Make sure you treat the gas with a stabilizer and run it into the carbs before long idle periods and they should be fine.

The powertrain used in the Venture was introduced in 1983. It was good out the gate, and the few issues it had have been resolved for at least 20 years. It's bullet proof.

I just bought my 09 in Jan. 7400 miles and had as much warrenty left as the "new" Kawasaki I was looking to buy. I picked mine up for 11K and the asking on the Kawasaki Voyager was 14K on a year end clearence sale. I really am growing to like the RSV. Ever since I test rode it with the wife I grow to appreciate this bike. The "brand new" ones will give you a heart attack but a nicely broke in couple year old model that has been taken care of I think is as good. Shop around they are there. One thing I looked at was "if this bike sucked design wise would they have been making it for 10yr?"

I'm about your size and I like my Venture and the room it gives me. I may be outdated but the carbs v EFI is not a deal breaker to me. The RSV engine gives me plenty of get up and go even with me and my wife on. The bike has been very durable and has only needed general maintenance to this point with 27000 miles. Mine either doesn't have the whine or I am tone deaf to it. It is a comfortable ride.

I'm about your size and I like my Venture and the room it gives me. I may be outdated but the carbs v EFI is not a deal breaker to me. The RSV engine gives me plenty of get up and go even with me and my wife on. The bike has been very durable and has only needed general maintenance to this point with 27000 miles. Mine either doesn't have the whine or I am tone deaf to it. It is a comfortable ride.

Bill,

I can verify that yours has NO whine whatsoever. Not even with a Goldwing rear wheel/tire bungied onto the back seat!

:whistling:

Joe

I believe for the money the Royal Star's are the best bike for the money. Do some shopping and you can pick up an 07 or 08 with 2 or 3 years left of warranty if you willing to go after the bike. I have found a couple of Tour Deluxes priced so well I have bought them for resell and sold for a profit.

I look around Craigs list alot. Not knowing exactly where you are other than your signature says Pittsbugh I looked around what I thought might be somewhat close. Heres one in Amhurst Va. Asking $8k only 3400 miles 2006 model Heres an 99 model with 26K miles and asking $5500. Once you see the "custom" paint you can decide. Youll be seen no doubt!! Hughesville Happy hunting. I enjoy a good hunt sometimes. I didnt know how far you might be willing to go to look.

Oh yea as far as I have been able to tell no gear whine, other than normal sounding trans stuff. Nothing that changes with speed or gears just contact noise when put into gear.

Edited by djh3

All good advice from the privious posters. Keep in mind that not all on them have a gear whine and usually those that do will have it in specific gears at certain rpms. With these bikes having been in production as long as they have it shows them to be of a proven design.

:080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Hi CSF

If you get an RSTD you will love it.The V4 motor is great has lots of power and gets reasonable gas milage.It is lighter and handles better then the Venture.Fuel injection is nice but not a deal killer in my book.Any bike that sits is prone to gas clogging problems and that icludes fuel injection.The advantages that the RSTD offers over other cruisers far outweighs any lost from lack of fuel injection.Large comfortable bike,sharp cruiser looks,quick change from cruise to tour,cruise control (if you have never had this you don't know what your are missing) best in the industry warrenty,very comfortable on long runs,very low maintenence, very high fit and finish.Since 1986 I have had at least one 1st generation 2nd gen,Rstd and Venture and never had a whine a issue,never had a reliability issue,and never had a carb issue that couldn't be solved with a coupple of cans of Sea Foam,Stabil or Berrymans b12.

Carbs are pretty reliable and I can say as far as injectors go, I have replaced them on my Dodge truck, my wife's jeep, all 4 on my wife's boat and one on my boat. I drove an 89 Venture with carbs and never had a carb issue. yes the seafoam and maintenance issues come up, but what do you have that requires no maintenance and has shown this kind of reliability??? The great thing here is look at the support you can get if you do run into a snafoo and this is a great bunch of people here. . .

Most of the ones Ive ridden have the gear whine at different speeds,Mine had it worse around 62-68 MPH although I have sold it and moved on it was still a great bike. That being said only YOU know what you can live with and some people focus in on the whine and it seems to get louder if you do. IF Yamaha would add Fuel Injesction and update some things I would add another to keep my Wing company.My advise,Take it for a spin,at least 10-20 miles..you will hear the whine if it has it without a doubt!

If the bike fits you I think you will be happy with it the pros and cons have been covered pretty good so far there great bikes IMHO. A couple of questions though on bike mentioned. 2009 RSTD new,no not new just not ridden.

Why you think dealer still has it. It's now 3 model years old.

KBB list retail at 9335.00 with cruise doesn't matter that it's "NEW" the tires are 3 years old any gas in it is old.

Like others have said there is better deals out there with low miles.

My honest opinion is that RSTD or a RSV are good choices but the specific one you mentioned is not at that price. Think maybe this dealer is a little to proud of his products or he wouldn't still have it. If that was the bike I really wanted I would offer him retail KBB or NADA because that's all it will be worth when you ride off . Just be prepared to walk away and find another one. Oh yeah Welcome hope you like opinions cause those we got :thumbsup2:

if i couldn't hear the wine i would be lost,not an issue for me. the 06 i saw a few links back looks like the motor has been submerdged in mud and the fake fins looked to be off exsposing the block water plugs.stay away from that one. i think you've heard enough infomation to be totaly confused now so good luck. the bottom line is what feels good and comfortable to you not anybody else. as far as the dependabilty goes remember theres lemons in everything out there but i think you'd be hard pressed to find anything else more depenable and relieable than the rstd or the rsv. i bought a 2008 rstd with 3150 miles on it and had it for a week than feel in lust with my 2006 rsv with 58640 miles on it.i've had it for a year in a half now and got 70040 miles on it and love it.hope this totaly burns your brain cells out. ride safe and theres not a better bunch of people than on this site.:bluesbrother:

All good information here. Had my 06 TD since new. If mine whines, I can't hear it. I too was concerned about carbs in 06. I live at 5500' and have ridden most all of Colorado's passes numerous times without any problems. These are constant velocity carbs.

THANKS for all the replies so far. The bike I am looking at is brand new, never ridden, 0 miles, leftover stock, and the dealer says it is their last one. They have many leftover 09's, 10's and 11's in inventory in many models and brands. They have old stock of everything from all the Japanese brands and others - FJRs to all the Triumphs to Goldwings, plus all the new models as well - its a pretty big dealer. This red RSTD has MSRP 0f $15.6k, is listed at 10,999 - tax, tags, fees, etc put it near $12k. I have not sat down to negotiate yet, but obvioulsy the full 5 year warranty comes with a new bike versus a used one.

I know its still a good bike based on many reviews, and was a really great bike in its day . . . just trying to decide if its still a good choice now. I understand thats a personal call.

Thanks again to all

Craig

i think it's a great choice,just not at 12grand. your right about the five year war but still think its over priced,having said that,if your happy with the five year war and it gives you some peace of mind,:bluesbrother: how much is that worth?? just go with your gut! if you like it,it fits you,in your price range etc i say GO FOR IT AND ENJOY!!!!

I bought my 2007 RSTD from J & J Motors in Massillon,OH back in Nov of 2010. They currently have several used RSTD's and RSV's in stock.

http://www.jandjcycle.com/pre_owned_list.asp?sid=02010919X3K9K2012J7I25I55JAMQ1503R0&category=0&mfg=2&ModelYearFrom=2005&ModelYearThru=2013&PriceFrom=0&PriceThru=999999999&ModelSearch=royal&submit=Search

They were great to work with. For reference, I paid $7200 out the door for my 2007 Midnight RSTD with 2100 miles and warranty till April 2013.

Bill,

I can verify that yours has NO whine whatsoever. Not even with a Goldwing rear wheel/tire bungied onto the back seat!

:whistling:

Joe

"Memories, like the corners of my mind, misty water colored memories, of the way it was" :whistling: Hey Joe, we still have that ride to complete (without the screw in the tire):depressed: if you ever get back down this way. The only whine I heard that day was what they charged you for the tire:confused24: and that whine was legit! :(