IGNORED

What's speed will an MKII do redlined.

First gen bikes won't redline in 5th gear, but they will almost redline in 4th. The magazines used to give the top speed between 123 and 127 MPH. I had my 83 up to about 135 MPH once, but I had a strong tail wind. It was in 4th gear, and it was past redline. Then I let off the gas and learned all about the Venture's speed wobble when using Bridgestone tires!!!! This was the result of my buddy betting me that his Datsun 280ZX turbo could out top end my bike. He lost.

With a good dowhill shot into a straight stretch I cranked the "Blue Beast" to redline and beyond in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Don't remember 1st & 2nd but when I cranked it out in 3rd as the tach was approaching 8500 RPMs I glanced at speedometer and watched it climb to 120 MPH. When I looked at the tach it was passing redline.

Faster than you want to go on one of these old washing machines (or even on one of the new washing machines).

RR

Yep I agree, plus having reached my golden 60s and would like to hang around for my 70s and possibly the 80s. Don't know if I want to be around much past that depending on my health, I just thought it be a bit of interesting information. Plus speaking for myself, I'm not as dumb as I once used to be, to try now.

In my dumber years, I bought a new 1980 1100 Goldwing. My owning a Goldwing is not what I mean by "In my dumber years". What I did mean by it was that I really wanted to say that I have gone over 100 mph. Here is how dumb I was. In my attempt I got pissed of as the speedometer approached 85 mph for it would not register any faster for there was an Id10t peg at 85 mph. And the really dumb thing was that I knew about the 1d10t peg at 85 mph before attempting. And the dumbest thing of all was that I tried several times and to this day I can not say that I know for sure that I've ever gone faster than 100 mph. I mean how can a biker be a true blue biker, but can't honestly and consciously brag that going over 100mph is a kick. I can only say that I think I gone faster than 100mph. Try it the next time you're out with some bikers and like most bikers they like to brag a lot. Ya I remember when I was on I-90 going west to North Dakota, I opened the throttle. Wow it felt so good to think that I possible might have gone faster than 100 mph. You'd get some strange looks.

But my youthful dumbness sometimes starts to come back only when I'm out riding and I know the road ahead of me is straight as an arrow for a few miles. The dumbness becomes so hard to suppress when I look at my 91 VR speedometer and I see no Id10t peg anywhere on the speedometer. You know when you're going 85 mph and knowing that only 16mph more then I would have earned the bragging rights.

The only thing that keeps the dumbness in check is that I also don't know what the speeding ticket would be and that would depend on what the roads speed limit is.

Let me see most speed limit in Washington highways is maybe tops 65 mph. It might be higher in some places. Hmmm that might be some good information to know. Maybe there might be some place in Washington where the highway speed is 75mph. Anyone in Eastern Washington know that. Then all I need to know is what the speeding ticket would be for going 16 over. Then if I could just balance my check book to know if I could afford it.

I can just see it now. I get stopped by a State Trooper and he asks me do you know how fast you were going. I'd look at him with my Senior Citizen eyes and shake my head no. He say you were going over 100 mph. I'd ask him how much faster was I going. You were going 1 hundred and ## mph. Really, can I see that on your radar. Can it print that out.

So tell me why you were going over 100 mph. Well Officer, I hope you also have been a rider or are currently riding or one day want to be a rider.

See officer it’s like this................................. .. So you see officier, soon my riding days will be over and I got to have something to brag about in my sunset years as I tell this story to my grand children. Now you could be a Good Cop or a Bad Cop in my bragging story, which would you prefer to be Officier Friendly?

Actually it is a good post, cuz I aint got what it takes to find out if she has what it takes to red line 4th and/or fifth gears.

But I sure would like to know if it can and how fast would that be.

I doubt anyone could get a 1st gen, or 2nd gen, or for that matter pretty much any other big cc bike up to redline in top gear.

I had my '85 up to just over 220 km/h (around 135 mph) and it wasn't at the redline. Could have maybe pushed it a bit faster but it was pretty much running out of "oooomph" by then.

I seem to remember a story about some highway in the Prarie Provinces or in the States that has no limit????

Is that an urban myth or fact? Anyone know?

I used to ride a 900 Yamaha Seca....that's an inline 4 cyl, shaft drive. It comes from the factory with a headlight pot fairing but I put a sport touring fairing on it.

I used to ride that pretty regularly at well over 100 mph and I think the best I ever did was 240 km/hour which works out to over 149 mph.

Allowing for speedo error I'm content to claim 140 mph.

Trouble is I loved both the speed and trying to scrape my elbows on the corners!

That was when the kids were about 5-7 years old. I reasoned if I had a head on collision with a squirrel I'd be dead!

Not only that...but I had just recently become one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I realized that it's not a very good example to folks if I blow past them at over 100 mph then pull into the Kingdom Hall!:doh:

So I sold the bike. I was almost 20 years of being bikeless before I got the VR! I try to tell everyone it's a couch on wheels...comfort not speed but.....:whistling:

Second gear will go up to about 90 mph, then if you hit third good it will lift the front wheel. As so I've been told. Third will run out about 110 or do, after that the wind drag holds you down in four and fifth gears. Although something close to 118 I hear.

I had my 2000 to about 105 (GPS speedometer) running thru New Mexico on Interstate 40. Was just following some semi trucks. Decided I didn't like the added pucker factor while riding and backed off to about 85. The 2nd Gen is really sweet at that speed.

RR

I did use my GPS in an airplane a few times.

The peak speed shows as 178 MPH.

I had a LEO that stopped me once and asked if he could see the GPS, he checked the Max speed readout and had to agree that there is no way my truck did 178 MPH on his stretch of highway.

Since that time I usually clear the max speed after every speed run or passing maneuver.

I know that I am not required to allow him to look at the GPS, but that day it was funny and I knew it could not be used against me.

Attached is an excel spreadsheet that was developed by another member that I can't remember his handle, name is Rick Mengyan (I think).

It is in excel 2003 format.

Fields in brown can be changed to different bike transmissions & rear end gearing.

Tire size can be changed in upper right, by tire size or diameter.

Speed in each gear and 500 rpm increments is displayed on left side.

Picture below is only a screen capture of the excel spreadsheet, it can not be changed, only downlpading attached file will do that.

Per numbers on this chart & assuming a 140/90-16 tire speeds are as follows:

According to this fairly accurate chart, a certain West Virginia yarn spinner tale of 115mph in 3rd at redline is possible with a 21" rim diameter instead of the 16" most Ventures have.

:backinmyday: :rotfl:

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/MPHingears.jpg

Edited by dingy
corrected RSV/Royal Star ratios