IGNORED

New guy on the block

Hello, everybody. I've been lurking here for a few days now. Ever since my girlfriend informed me that we need a different bike than our Roadstar if we are gonna go very far. Seems the Roadie's ride is just a tad tough on her tush. Also, we want hard bags, fairing, overdrive, cruise, etc. etc. You all know where this is heading.

I have been looking for a few days now, and I have found a 2004 RSV that has been covered inside a garage since 2007. Seems the guy bought it, then promptly lost interest.

Fast forward to now. We plan to buy it.

I know about what has happened in these years. The battery is probably dead as a doornail, the oil needs changed, the tires may be flat, may even need replaced...

My big fear is the gas. I know the tank needs drained, as do the carbs... Think I'll get away with that? Or will the carbs need to be removed and gone through?

I know that when I decide to fire up one of my old cars, I need to mess with the carb, but there's only 1, and it's right on top.

I'm not intimidated by the prospect, just rather not disturb them if I don't need to. In reading your fine forum here this morning, I found that the float levels are probably too high, and need adjustment anyway, but for now I'd like to just get to know the bike before tearing into it.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Bert

Guest tx2sturgis

I would of course drain the gas, but look at it when you drain it. It might have some signs of rust.

Pull the tank when its empty and shake it around...listening for rust particles.

While you have the tank off the bike, I would pull the sparkplugs and spray the cylinders with upper cylinder lube, but you just about have to remove the upper engine mounts to get to the 2 front plugs. Not a huge deal, but you do need a large hex drive to do it. I dont remember the size right now.

Yeah the Seafoam, or my favorite, StarTron, should be tried first before you tear into the carbs.

Synching the carbs should be done sooner or later after you get it running...but not critical to do right away.

I would also change the rear drive oil, in addition to all the other stuff you mentioned.

Edited by tx2sturgis

hi bert

welcome to the vr's i agree with buddy rich. i have also used bg 44k in the tank to clean out the carbs but my bike was runing. good luck and again welcome. keep us informed on your progress. ya'll will like the rsv on those day long ride of hundreds of miles.

reguards

don c.

As TX pointed out - it's a good idea to get some lube in the top end before you try to crank it. Personally I like to put a good dose of penetrating oil in the spark plug holes and let it sit a few days. Then crank it over a couple with the plugs out and grounded.

While the cylinders are soaking I'd pull the carbs and give them a proper cleaning. Just like on an old car they're going to be gummed up and a fuel treatment is unlikely to do the job. Might as well pull them while you've got the tank off to get to the plugs.

The tires do need replacing because of their age. Even if they "look" fine.

Brake and clutch fluid should be flushed and replaced. Hopefully the old stuff hasn't jelled up in there.

Fresh coolant, oil and final drive oil.

Since you're going to have the top uncovered you might want to check the valve lash too.

Thanks for all your responses, fellas.

The deal with this bike is that it is in another city. I'm considering flying there, getting it running, and riding it 800 miles home. All my tools and stuff like hoses, funnels, gas cans are snug in the garage here. After reading and looking at all your excellent carb tech articles, I have deduced that the float bowels don't have a drain plug. Was hoping for one I could access without removing carbs.

So... You think I should be OK just draining the tank, and letting whatever is left in the carbs flow through? Is there any chance the carbs could have evaporated dry in 4 years? If so, it might be OK if the floats don't stick in the bottom of the bowls, huh?

Also thinking of trailering it behind my car on a flatbed. I think riding the bike home would be fun, but I wonder if it would be better to wait to start it till it is safe at home.

All of the suggestions are good but personally, I think I would trailer it home. YOu are correct in that the gas in the carbs has likely evaporated. Todays gas can leave some ugly stuff in the carbs though. I don't know where the bike is located but there is chance that the last gas had ethanol in it. The suggestions about Seafoam and other gas additives are good and may work but not if the jets are completely plugged. For the additives to work, there typically has to be some kind of flow through the jets. If there is flow, then they do a good job in cleaning up any varnish and etc. but if there is no flow, you will likely have to completely remove the carbs and tear them down. You may get lucky but I think you are taking a real risk.

All of the suggestions are good but personally, I think I would trailer it home. YOu are correct in that the gas in the carbs has likely evaporated. Todays gas can leave some ugly stuff in the carbs though. I don't know where the bike is located but there is chance that the last gas had ethanol in it. The suggestions about Seafoam and other gas additives are good and may work but not if the jets are completely plugged. For the additives to work, there typically has to be some kind of flow through the jets. If there is flow, then they do a good job in cleaning up any varnish and etc. but if there is no flow, you will likely have to completely remove the carbs and tear them down. You may get lucky but I think you are taking a real risk.

Yes. Even if you get it running you've got brakes and tires to worry about.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...the other shoe dropped.

Since the bike has been sitting for 4 years, its likely to have some minor or major problems (battery, tires, fuel, carbs, etc) if you try to ride it home. You dont want to be stuck on the side of the road, 500 miles from home, with no tools and no way to work on it. Or worse, have an accident due to brakes failing or a tire that blows.

I hope you are getting a REALLY good deal on this bike, since its going to need some TLC before you put it in service.

Either take his word for it that it runs, then trailer it home, then do all the work to it, OR....

Find another bike thats been ridden regularly, the guy likes the bike, takes care of it, and just wants to sell it for some reason.

I agree with tx2stergis, unless this is a really good deal, I would maybe keep looking for a low milage,still on the road bike. You didn't say how much the guy is asking for the bike. If it's super low,then go for it and trailer it home. Do all the work that has been covered here, Then ride the heck out of it. But DON"T ride it home if it is not on the road at this time. A lot of stuff can go wrong.

One more thing, If it has been sitting for all this time, do not turn it over with the starter. fill the cylinders with marvel mistery oil or brake in oil and let it sit for a couple days. If the rings have set up you will do major damage to the cylinders and rings. You will need to turn it over by hand to make sure everything is lose and to cycle the oil out of the cylinders.

To think you could ride a bike that has sat for so long over 800 miles is a bit too ambitious methinks. Play it safe and trailer it home. You won't regret the time and labor you put into the bike to make it truly roadworthy and safe.

And....Welcome to the Venture Rider family! You won't find a better bunch of folks to ride with, party with, and raise h**l with I garontee.:D

Boomer....who sez ya better check the scoot for pygmies before ya ride it like ya stole it.

Tell us where the bike is located. Maybe there will be a knowledgeable member near it who can help you check it out.

The carbs are dry unless the current owner has been trying to start it. But always good to open the drains anyway, just to make sure they are empty in case someone has been messing with it. Just having one bowl full of gas evaporate in those carbs way back in 2007 wouldn't gum them up in any way, BUT, that does not suggest they were not already a mess when it was parked. If it continues to take a lot of choke to keep it runing longer than about 2 minutes on a COLD start, if there are any problems getting it to take throttle off idle, or if a fingertip test shows one or more cylinders not heating quickly on a cold start, then you are going to have to pull the carbs for a proper cleaning. Seafoam and other good products can help a lot, but they cannot do anything at all for a jet that is completely plugged.

You absolutely must do the COOL-start fingertip test to be sure all four cylinders are firing at idle - it is impossible for a new owner to tell if this engine is running on only three instead of four jugs just by reving it and riding it - the engine runs THAT good on only three! Even some experienced owners have been known to ride it cross-country on just three cylinders without being sure that something was wrong.

Yes, the floats are too high if no one has ever had the carbs off - but that is true of 100% of RSVs, so it is nothing to even think about until you are ready to pull the carbs for a proper cleaning.

When you drain the tank, TAKE IT OFF, so you can turn it on the front left side where the valve is and make sure it all gets out - when sitting on the bike, somewhere between 1/2 and 1 gallon will be left on the right side.

After you get it running with fresh gas and run a tank of strong Seafoam treatment through it, change the fuel filter. If you have trouble getting it to run right, such as sputtering and missing under high throttle, change that filter before you waste any time looking for other causes (but do not mistake hitting the rev limiter at 6,500 RPM for fuel supply problems).

As others have already said, I would not suggest you try and ride it home unless you first have a chance to check it all out properly and change all the fluids. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thank you all for all the good advice!

Our car is going into the shop on Friday to have a trailer hitch installed, and I'm gonna "borrow" my trailer back from my kid! haha.

We will be picking up the RSV next Thursday, and when we come back, I'll have a story for you.

I promise!

Stay tuned.

Thanks again.

Bert

I don't recall anyone talking about a lift adapter for the Venture. While its possible to raise the RSV with wooden blocks (or hockey pucks) on a MC jack/lift, many of us here use the Carbon One lift adapter. It locks to the under frame of the RSV and makes working on the bike much safer. Getting the adapter with feet allows one to sit the bike down on it after being lifted up. Makes many maintenance tasks easier and safer.

forsale in the member vendor section of the forum.

First and foremost, do NOT tie the handlebars down, you WILL bend them!! Instead use a front wheel chock or screw a couple of short 2x4's, one on each side of the tire, to prevent the wheel from turning. I've found that using a front wheel chock the bike will almost stand up by itself. You can tie onto the crash bars on the bottom and catch the forks on the top by the triple tree or something for the front, and use the passenger grab bars in the rear to hold 'er steady as you merrily roll down the road...

• 2 weeks later...

OK... We are back.

Now the story can be told.

We live in Tucson, AZ, and I found this bike on craigslist in Monterey, CA. The seller had posted a stock photo from Yamaha, and only had a phone # for a contact. My partner, Susan & I called and then emailed with Gail, the seller's significant other. After talking with her quite a bit, we decided they were sincere, and not scammers. We headed there on Wed. last week, and got to actually load it on Friday morning.

Turns out that it is a 2007 that was parked as soon as it was purchased new. Apparently, the guy bought it and immediately became intimidated by it. The right front engine bar has a little rash on it, looking like it may have had a minor mishap. It was stored under a heavy canvas cover in a carport. It has 28 miles on the odometer.

My son, Frank & I unloaded it this morning, and he helped me fiddle with it all day.

When we drained the tank, I was astounded to find that the gas still smelled like new. I believe that the manufacturer added fuel stabilizer to the gas when they built it, not knowing how long it might sit around until it sold. Nevertheless, I removed the tank, and drained it completely. I took out the completely dead battery, and it looked so new that I hooked up the charger. It just sat there for awhile, and then it started taking a charge. after a couple hours, the amps started to drop, so we put it back in and hooked it up.

I decided to leave the oil alone, thinking that break in oil was probably in there, and it looked brand new through the sight glass. With the bike in high gear, I shoved it, and was able to turn the engine over with relative ease.

What the heck...

I hit the starter, and after a very little cranking time, it started right up. Sounds like a brand new bike. All 4 cyls hitting right away, as per the cold start fingertip test.

The tires look brand new, of course, and were around 20 psi, so I inflated them, and will run them cautiously to see how they do.

If it will stop raining today, We will take a maiden voyage to the DMV for plates, and then to the dealership to register the warranty.

After calling my local Yamaha dealership with the VIN#, they tell me it is under warranty until 2015. I can't figure this, unless he bought some kind of extended warranty. We shall see . The way I see it, the warranty would last until 2012. I won't be looking that horse in the mouth.

The only downside I can see to my story is that due to its proximity to the pacific ocean, some of the chrome is pitted. After going after the rusty spots with some fine steel wool and WD40, I have been impressed with how well it is coming out. The slip on pipes are the worst, and we'll probably be replacing them anyway. The rest, I will mess around with. I may resort to sanding and painting some minor trim, or even powder coating. Last resort, maybe rechroming, or even replacing. Pretty minor stuff, I think, considering that otherwise, the Midnight Venture appears to be brand new.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Now, for my questions...

When you all convince me to change the oil, what should I use?

Can I use synthetic now?

What about synthetic lube in the rear drive?

Sorry for this monster post. Thanks for your patience.

Bert

Great find! You'll love the bike. We came across a craigslist find earlier this year too, got the wife an 08' RSV Hannigan trike with 10,000 miles for an unbelievable price that prompted me to drive to Atlanta Ga from Detroit, Mi. to pick it up. Those deals are out there, you just need to be in the right place at the right time.

Enjoy the new ride :thumbsup2: