IGNORED

Be aware of your debit / credit cards while traveling

Lone Eagle

Dang, I went on a ride yesterday - "locally" - within Northern Calif. - travelled about 400 miles. A few minutes ago, I got a text message on my cell phone from my banks' FRAUD unit asking if I purchased $126.00 from a fuel dispensary - press (1) for yes or (2) for no - I immediately pressed (2) for no.

I just called the Fraud division - and verified all the gas purchases yesterday (highest was $13.00). Also, shared with them - and the credit card from that bank - that I was traveling to Cody over the week and 1/2 or so (if Toto doesn't get us lost - :rotf:) - and the bank made those notations for both of my cards (or at least they told me they did).

NOW, I just get an e-mail from the bank. I don't know if this is general practice, specific to Chevron, or what. I topped off the tank (4) times yesterday. At least here in Nor Calif, most often you cannot put more that $75.00 in your tank at one time - the pumps automatically shut off, so I don't understand the reason for such a high pre-authorization. What is scary about the pre-authorizations shown below is that yes - I did stop at those Chevron stations - but I was home by 7:30PM!!!

Here is a cut and paste of that e-mail:

A pre-authorization at an automated gas dispenser $126.00 at chevron 00205216, an automated fuel dispenser was approved in CLOVERDALE, california United States on or around 2011-07-16 at 8:33PM (I actually filled up here at 5PM).

3) A pre-authorization at an automated gas dispenser $126.00 at chevron 00092039, an automated fuel dispenser was approved in FORT BRAGG, california United States on or around 2011-07-16 at 6:32PM (I actually filled up here at 3PM).

4) A pre-authorization at an automated gas dispenser $126.00 at chevron 00205216, an automated fuel dispenser was approved in CLOVERDALE, california United States on or around 2011-07-16 at 2:21PM (I actually filled up here at 10:45AM).

NOTE: If the dollar amount is not identical to what you show in your records, this may be due to the transaction being a pre-authorization for the final purchase amount.

For me, anyway, this is scary - as having that many pre-authorizations could potentially screw someone's card up - I might think. At the end of a day, I was very glad the fraud department called me - however - who gives some of these vendors - or corporate office - that right to slap such a high pre-authorization on someone's card?

Sorry, had to vent and/or maybe share some info. I have never had this problem traveling within the State before (and I travel a lot on the weekends up and down the state on the bike) - but had I not seen that text message - or on the road to not get my e-mail this could have gotten ugly (I normally don't look at - or for - text messages) - my card had been blocked from further usage as of last night. :confused07:

They only do pre-authorizations with Debit cards in SC, so I always select credit. They also have big stickers on the pumps that tell you this.

I am still very confused about this (being from Canada, we don't have this...at least not here) ... what is the difference between Debit or Credit?

I am still very confused about this (being from Canada, we don't have this...at least not here) ... what is the difference between Debit or Credit?

Debit cards draw directly from your bank account sometimes called check cards some people also have the debit cards tied to a line of credit so they can use them like a charge card if there is not enough money in the account.

They only do pre-authorizations with Debit cards in SC, so I always select credit. They also have big stickers on the pumps that tell you this.

Yeah, the interesting thing here was I was using my debit card (always have in the past) - but the pump reads it as a VISA card and asks for the zip code. At least here in Nor California, I don't believe I have ever seen a sticker on the pump that tells you they will pre-authorize your card (credit or debit) for any certain amount - that is interesting.

As they say, learn something new everyday!

Rick, I hope youre letting Nina do the finances in your family....lol! :stickpoke:

Actually Vic, this is why I usually pay cash now for my gas while travelling, as I got caught in Los Osos with both my debit and credit cards shut off as I had filled at the pump a lot while travelling down to Venture West back in 08. Everytime i filled at the pump the fuel companies put a preauth amount on my credit card or debit card of around 125 bucks and a few of the bills took up to a week to reflect the correct amount.

Coupled with the fact my bank was trying to protect my cards because they saw usage away from home, they shut off any purchases just when I needed my card to pay for my room for the week.:crying: it was after hours and the Motel6 wouldnt allow me to use their phone. so thats when Jack stepped in and used his card so I could get my room for the night and sort the situation out.

Now, everytime I travel i advise the banks and credit card companies where and when I am going so they dont shut me off from my cards, BUT i NEVER pay at the pump while travelling anymore because i dont want a 125 dollar preauthorize charge on my card or debit every time I fill up my bike. It just ticks me off that they want to put a hold on my cards for that large amount when all I am charging is 20 bucks....:bang head:

Brian

Edited by friesman

Debit cards draw directly from your bank account sometimes called check cards some people also have the debit cards tied to a line of credit so they can use them like a charge card if there is not enough money in the account.

Well, I understand what a debit card does... been using them for years... but when you insert your credit card into the pump and it asks... Debit or Credit ... specifically what does each mean? Like... if you choose Debit, does it debit your chequeing account ? or if you use Credit, does it go against your Visa?

That happened to me a few years ago at the station up on the corner only they pre'd it for $50 bucks. I thought it was a charge and went up to bang some heads. Turns out it's standard practice at a lot of stations. The reason. They want to make sure the card will accept that amount of money, and since the price of fuel has gone through the roof it's quite common for a car or truck to take over a hundred to fill it, and they don't know how much you're capable of taking. The card doesn't know you're on a bike... You just another customer, and could be driving a semi for all they know. The problem occurs when the pre-registration doesn't get canceled and it screws up your balance because of it. In Vic's case he had 3 fills in one day, almost $400 dollars in pre's which set off the alarm.

Toto

Hey fellas, just a little advice from the ghostly one. Everyone is on the same line of advice. Always use your debit as a credit. Better yet, just use a credit card and pay it right away when you get home. I've found in my riding adventures even when it was just a $75.00 hold on debits, it took longer to erase the holds than adding the original amounts. There's times when both showed up. I always choose one credit card that I'll use the entire trip and let them know a couple days in advance about my travels. I also check credit limits and request to put "call in" verification on large purchases (for me it's $200.00 or more). Heck I also put "ask for I.D." instead of my signiture on the back of my credit cards. I know it's a pain, but it saved me the pain of fraud situations so far. I've had 2 fraud check calls from my credit card company. One I did and the other was happening in another state while they were talking to me. It's the helmet of protection for credit purches:322:

Some time ago I got a call from the MC fraud squad about my credit card. Seems it had been scanned when I checked into a hotel in Vancouver. They sent the info to India where another card was made and bills run up in New Delhi. Now it is flagged and any use beyond 100 miles from home is denied unless I tell them where I am going first. I informed them I am going to Cody and the dates so I am good there. Can't use the cards to buy gas in the states and pay at the pump as they want zip code and ours have letters and theirs don't so will not accept. Have to deal with the clerk inside.

This is a good document explaining it that you found..

I work in the credit card related industry and while it is unknown to many people, Pre-Auths are common. Hotel Industry does it also for an inflated amount to cover any phone calls, snacks, movies, damage.. etc..

The Pre-Auth will typically get negated by an Auth-Reversal process when the merchant settles their transactions. The problem is, some merchants may do settlements real time, but more commonly it is a nightly batch process, so your open-to-buy limit is tied up until then (and then processors and issuing banks could take time to complete that workflow).

And not all issuing banks can accomplish the Auth reversal so then the Pre-Auth amount will consume your credit limit until it naturally expires (typically 7 days for VISA, ~30 days for others).

You are not actually getting charged these amounts but it does impact your credit limit and for debit cards can maybe cause an overdraft situation.

I don't do debit cards - don't trust anyone having direct access into my bank account.

My credit card has a very high credit limit so have not felt any impact from the Pre-Auths.

Alerting your bank ahead of time when traveling is good advice.. I don't always remember to do that.

I've never had a debit card, never made any sense to get one when my mc pays me back up to 5%.

I always have a credit on my statement when I get the bill and now they have a program in effect that lets the payback accumulate till the end of the year and @ $1500 to $3000 a month, it adds up.

We are always getting those credit card offers in the mails and the other day the wife suggested we should have applied for one to only use on our trip out west. Then after getting home pay it off and close the account. Unfortuneately she/we didn't think of that soon enough to be able to put that plan into action before our departure time.

The idea of using credit over debit is a good one too and will end up with the same results as a debit providing you pay off the charges on the 1st billing. As Dick noted you build up credits if you card account provides that feature.

Larry

It seems obvious to me that most retailers, even oil companies, realize that there are many more people living on credit. And many of those are living beyond their means (whether by choice or necessity, that's not the issue).

Many are living so far out of their means that there is a higher percentage of chance that the $50 it will take to put gas in the car is not available on the card. Like always, the oil companies are making sure they get their money by doing a pre-auth.

Thomas

Can't use the cards to buy gas in the states and pay at the pump as they want zip code and ours have letters and theirs don't so will not accept. Have to deal with the clerk inside.

Sailor, FYI....when using a Canadian postal code at the pumps just use the numbers from your postal code then add 00. IE: my postal code is N0R 1V0 so I would use 01000. I have found that this works about 90% of the time using my CTC master card.

Sailor, FYI....when using a Canadian postal code at the pumps just use the numbers from your postal code then add 00. IE: my postal code is N0R 1V0 so I would use 01000. I have found that this works about 90% of the time using my CTC master card.

Guess I will be trying this out too, would have been nice to know this sooner. But I didn't ask.....

:fingers-crossed-emo:canada: