IGNORED

Actual phone call two weeks ago

dmoff1698

(Ring)

Them: Hello, @#$#$% Honda, how may I direct your call?

Me: Parts department please.

Them: Parts.

Me: Yes, I’m traveling through and lost an exhaust baffle. I was hoping you had a two inch exhaust baffle in stock.

Them: What kind of bike do you have?

Me: It’s a 2001 Honda, 1100 Shadow. But it has after-market Cobra exhaust system on it.

Them: No. The 1100 Shadow has an inch and three quarters exhaust. That is the size baffle you need.

Me: Sorry, but I measured my pipe and it is definitely two inch. It was installed by the previous owner.

Them: A two inch exhaust won’t fit on a Shadow!

Me: Don’t know what to tell you, but that is what I have. Do you have a two inch baffle in stock?

Them: What model number Cobra pipes do you have?

Me: (exasperated) I don’t know, they were installed by the previous owner. The baffle doesn’t have to be from Cobra, any two inch baffle will work for me.

Them: I have to have the model number to look it up.

Me: Do you have ANY baffles in stock?

Them: No, we don’t carry exhaust parts in stock, but we can order them and have them for you in about a week.

Me: Do you remember I said I was traveling and just passing through?

Them: But if you really need it….

Me: Never mind (click)

(Ring)

Them: Hello, @#$%#@ Harley Davison, how may I direct your call?

Me: Parts department please.

Them: Parts.

Me: Yes, I’m traveling through town and have lost one of my exhaust baffles. Do you happen to have a two inch exhaust baffle in stock?

Them: What kind of bike do you have?

Me: I have two inch, after market, Cobra pipes. But any brand of baffle will work for me. It doesn’t have to be Cobra.

Them: Let’s see here, I show I have a couple baffles in stock, but they are not Cobras.

Me: That’s great!! I don’t care about the brand. They are two inch, right?

Them: Well… these are inch and three quarters. That is a close as I can get.

Me: That’s good but I need two inch.

Them: What kind of bike is this going on?

Me: Well….it’s a 2001 Honda Shadow, but it has the two inch Cobra exhaust installed.

Them: We don’t sell Honda parts. You better call them. You want their number?

Me: Never mind (click).

:bang head:

Unfortunately, most parts places (auto, bike, electronis, etc) really do not have the ability to look up a part by just a description.

The only way the computer can tell them where to find it is by vehicle or part number.

Are you sur that your pipe that measures 2 inches is not called 1-3/4? Kind of like plumbing pipe sizes where there is no 2 inch dimension on a 2 inch pipe.

Guess you could have asked if they had any baffles and if they did drive over to see if one fits.

But still that would get very frustrating, it amazes me how a phone call can get a little sideways.

So did you ever find one ??

Brad

Unfortunately, most parts places (auto, bike, electronis, etc) really do not have the ability to look up a part by just a description.

The only way the computer can tell them where to find it is by vehicle or part number.

Are you sur that your pipe that measures 2 inches is not called 1-3/4? Kind of like plumbing pipe sizes where there is no 2 inch dimension on a 2 inch pipe.

I'm sure.

Actually borrowed an 1 3/4 to see if I could make it work. Floped around in my exhaust like a ........hmmm just drew a blank. Oh well it was too small.

Found a two inch on line ....$8.00

Can.t beat that.

LOL... the other day I went to get an alternator for my daughter's 1989 Honda civic ... first thing the guy asks is "is it a 2 door or 4 door?" ... like... what the &^* does the number of doors have to do with an alternator on a Honda Civic??? :think: :confused24: :doh:

LOL... the other day I went to get an alternator for my daughter's 1989 Honda civic ... first thing the guy asks is "is it a 2 door or 4 door?" ... like... what the &^* does the number of doors have to do with an alternator on a Honda Civic??? :think: :confused24: :doh:

I'm a parts manager at a Honda dealership and 3 blanks that have to be filled in before you can look up a part......Model - Civic Year - 1989 Doors - 2 or 4......the number of doors narrows down what model car you have. I always insist on having the S/N to avoid any problems.

Hope that answers your question.

Keith

I'm a parts manager at a Honda dealership and 3 blanks that have to be filled in before you can look up a part......Model - Civic Year - 1989 Doors - 2 or 4......the number of doors narrows down what model car you have. I always insist on having the S/N to avoid any problems.

Hope that answers your question.

Keith

Knew there had to be a answer to that!! Then a 4 door part would work on a 2 door?? Thought maybe it took more juice to run 4 windows v/s 2...:whistling:

Just kidding. Thanks for the info.

I'm sure.

Actually borrowed an 1 3/4 to see if I could make it work. Floped around in my exhaust like a ........hmmm just drew a blank. Oh well it was too small.

Found a two inch on line ....$8.00

Can.t beat that.

Thought you were just passing through!:Im not listening to:big-grin-emoticon::stirthepot::stirthepot:

BOO

Knew there had to be a answer to that!! Then a 4 door part would work on a 2 door?? Thought maybe it took more juice to run 4 windows v/s 2...:whistling:

Just kidding. Thanks for the info.

it does ... but since they are manual crank, you need a driver and 3 pygmies, ... the alternator has nothing to do with it. :whistling: :Laugh:

Needed a bolt for the passenger grab rail on my Venture. Lost it on the trip to Whistler. I looked up the part on this site and got the number for it. I sent e mails to the dealer, no response. I decided to go over there and see them. Nice day for a ferry ride anyway. I ordered the part and even gave them the number. They double checked, it was the right number. They wanted to know how I had got the number. They said it would be in the next week. Next week no info. 4 emails and a phone call...no result. Another ferry ride. No record of my order. Re ordered ( $2.50 for the part, in advance, $47.00 for the ferry). Got phone call at home. "They don't make that part any more". I informed her that since they still make the bike I was certain they made the part. She had got the number wrong. Still waiting. :headache:

I went into a national auto parts store and gave them the part number for my spark plugs and before even trying to look them up thay asked what kind of car it was and when I said it was a bike the guy tells me we don't sell motorcycle parts. So the next store I give them the part number the guy comes back 30 seconds later and ask what kind of bike do you have?

Many years ago I went into the local Honda dealer to get a throttle cable, they happened to sell sea doo jet skis that used rotax engines. Note the cable was for neither but took old cable with me. They kept questioning me about "what bike" it was for. I did not want to tell them what it was for until I paid and had the cable in hand.

It was for a 447 rotax with Bing carb mounted to my ultralight/experimental. I finally told them and you would have thought I had killed someone. Their response of this isn't madebfor an aircraft. They call them experimental for a reason the builder decides what is acceptable and usable. I avoid going to that bike dealer to this day because of that encounter.

I heard from others for a long time after that the parts manager was being a real rear end if someone made mistake of telling them what it was for and it wasn't ground bound. Lots of parts Re same and don't care where they are used, just the idiot selling them does.

Really ticked me, throttle cable was identical to the one I was replacing, just saved a couple days of mail time.

So tired of cya

I had one of those conversations when I bought the NAPA thermostat to replace the one on my '84.

Gave them the number for the part I wanted and they went to pull it. Came back empty handed. Out of stock. Asked them which store had one and I'll go there. "What car is it for?" Don't matter, you have the number. Downhill from there.

A couple of stops later I had one in my hand. Just for fun I asked if this would fit a Yamaha. Kid dug into his computer then went into the books. Guess what? No listing for Yamahas. Go figure. LOL!

I've been known to ask for bike parts as "drivers side" or "passengers side" when I get stuck with a nimrod at the parts counter. It's fun to watch them dig for that one.

What can I say ...... I don't have cable. I have to get my entertainment somewhere.

:big-grin-emoticon:

I've been known to ask for bike parts as "drivers side" or "passengers side" when I get stuck with a nimrod at the parts counter. It's fun to watch them dig for that one.

What can I say ...... I don't have cable. I have to get my entertainment somewhere.

That's just mean!! I gotta try that !!!!:rotf:

I can remember many many years ago when I was around 17. Going with my old Yamaha going to some guy selling parts in a yard sale and telling him I needed a new clutch. He dug through a box and pulled out some parts and told me this should do it!! He was right on. Gone are the days you can get that type of knowledge in most places.

Except here!!! :bighug:

OK! getting all mushy and teary eyed. Gonna stop now!!:8:

I don't get it ... isn't the driver's side on the left and passenger on right? ........

ohhhhhhhhhhh.......... :doh: you're talking about the scoot... :doh: :rotfl: :rotfl:

wait a minute... isn't it the same? :whistling:

:Laugh:

About 12 years ago when I built the 4X8 trailer I carry my bike and a lot of other stuff on. I used the rear suspension out of a Plymouth K-car and wanted to put shocks on it. Once I put it together, I knew I did not have a lot of available travel to work with. I went into a auto parts store and told the counterman I wanted to buy a couple of shocks. His first question was "What do they go on?" My comment was "I have no idea". You can imagine the look I got. I then told him I was building a trailer and needed the shortest shock he had available. Another look of exasperation. About that time an old timer type counterman that had been overhearing the conversation stated; "1965 Ford Mustang front shocks", and that is how my trailer ended up with Mustang shocks that works great.

Those days are about gone and now about everything is all computer oriented.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Computers are nice and can provide vast knowledge but to get specific answers you need specific questions... and rarely does any cross-correlation occur. The biggest thing a computer does now is enable one not to think or reason... aka McDonald's clerk...

But there lies the big problem, if the kids don't stop to think, reason and consider, the whole world of invention and education eludes them... rather scary, actually.

When I was a kid, my uncle was lamenting about the extraordinary cost of a new alternator for his Cadillac and dad calmly told him to use the same year from a big Buick. He said, "Same factory, same parts". My uncle was upset... "This is for a CADILLAC !"

"Then pay the high bucks and be happy!", dad replied. Uncle never said what he bought.

Dad was a master mechanic and taught a lot of that stuff but mostly how to look and imagine. He threw the front wheel drive assembly from a Jeep under the rear of his Jeep. Welded up a coupling arm to a transfer case from some farm equipment and had four wheel drive and four wheel steering. He thought it would be a scream. Well it was, that puppy could turn around and bit it's own tail but it was very shaky to drive, extremely sensitive steering but got tons of looks from folks when he turned around in our driveway! Donuts in the field were VERY small... Let me tell you, the feeling of having the rear come around was a bit unsettling. He chucked the idea for the "long haul".

I always loved yard sales and antique stores for the tools and equipment, often looking at some unique item that seemed to have no worldly use... would have to stop, inspect and think. Really liked it when they stumped me. Found such a thing in a "barn sale", it had rollers like an old wringer washing machine but in front had two blades in front, one upper and one lower that would close when another handle was used... I went all around my head and finally had to ask. The old guy got a silly grin a and said it was for the woman of the house who couldn't stand to touch the "smelly stuff" on a dirty diaper... he called it "the stripper". I thought it was hilarious, dad calmly asked, "So who cleans the blades?" Thinking outside the box didn't used to be an art form, it was necessity.

Simple things are beyond many folks these days... got a roll up blind (remember those) that pulls one side faster (uneven roller)... put a thin rubber band on the small side. Simple, cheap and permanent. Rough hands or feet? Spend $100 on the recommended lotions or buy some cow teat balm for under $5. I guarantee that the balm does a much better job.

I had a similar situation a while back when trying to get a belt for a lawnmower. The manufacturer wants $30+ for it. So I head out to the local hardware stores and implements. None of them could help without a P/N or make/model of the mower. All gave me the same ridiculous prices and said they would have to order it and charge me shipping as well on top of it. So I finally took out a tape measure and measured the circumference and figured out the profile for myself. I went back to one of the same stores and pulled what I needed off their shelf and payed $12.

By the way, the manufacturers specs on said belt, weren't even close to the actual specs. Is this so we're stuck with going to them?

Now alot P/N's are associated with the specs of most products. And if you take some measurements you can get into the ball park of what your looking for. And then refine your search from there. Which by the way, was the old school way of doing things.

Over the years I've worked in several warehouses. If someone came in with a part that had been worn enough so as that the P/N was no longer all there or gone completely, I could still find what they were after. Even if they simply had some dimensions. Why is it so hard to use our brains these days instead of relying on computers?