IGNORED

Back surgery scheduled Friday, 27th

dingy

I may have relief coming to my acute lower back pain. I saw a nuero surgeon today and he said my only really viable option is to have a Lumbar Discectomy. This has been scheduled for this coming Friday morning. He said physical therapy and epidural shots would not be effective. This is the third doctor I have seen for this, first surgeon. 1st was a chiropractor that wanted to do a modern form of traction that he said had a chance to fix it, insurance wouldn't cover. Didn't like his sales pitch, but he did get an MRI ordered which showed extent of problem.

My family doctor said surgery was likely the only option and referred me to this surgeon. He was a very likable doctor, not uppity like some can be. He went over all the required talk about risks and potential problems and said he had to wait at least a week to do surgery because I am taking a high dosage of motrin with percocets and the motrin cause blood thinning. Have to let that clear up first.

For the last 8 weeks I have had rapidly increasing lower back pain and numbness in my lower left leg. This is a life changing type pain. I am on 8 percocets a day and the pain is still as bad as kidney stone I had several years back.

The disc between my L4-L5 vertebra has herniated and is pushing against my back & leg nerves. The MRI report said there was a10 x 13mm extrusion nearly filling the spinal canal.

Doctor said the surgery would be about 2 hours and be 1 or 2 incisions about 2" long. I will be able to go home the same day. I should have immediate releif from the pain if surgery is successful. They said I would be able to walk around and was encouraged to get mild exercise starting the next day.

I may still make MD in Oberlin, but it won't be on the bike. Won't know till a few days after surgery. If I can't make it I will need a volunteer to follow up with the dinner Friday night at Quaker Steak & Lube so I don't dump this on Don. Isn't much, just getting a rough head count and calling restaurant.

Wish me luck, I'm going in. This is a surgery I am looking forward to getting, it's that painful.

:fingers crossed:

Gary

Sending good thoughts that this works out for you. I received my second epidural injection this morning, and they have given me my life back. I hope it lasts. When you are in that kind of pain it changes the way you see every aspect of life. And not in a good way.

Good luck!!! :fingers-crossed-emo

You have my prayers for your pain and healing. I know you asked for Luck, but I think some prayer will work much better.

Let me know what you need done for QSL and I'll get it done,,,, no sweat,,,, Annie will be here to mess me up.

Best of luck! I know where you're coming from. Herniated discs at L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1, severe central canal stenosis at L5-S1, mild central canal stenosis at L4-5, severe facet joint hypertrophy (arthritis which has caused the little wing bones to grow together) and severe disc dessication (dehydration and hardening) at all three levels. I toughed it out and soldiered on when I should have gotten help, now it is inoperable, and I am left with a partially paralyzed right leg and a right foot drop. I have a few other symptoms from the nerves that are involved at that level, too. Not fun, and I'm only 38. Get the surgery, do the therapy, and don't look back...

Wish you well Dingy

I had a similar procedure done 6 years ago, it helped alot with the leg tingling and pain. It took me 3 months before I could ride again but I made it.

The biggest thng you can do to help yourself is follow doctors orders and give it time. If you have a few extra pounds like I did LOOSE IT. Loosing 50 # was the best thing I did for helping with the back and leg pain. I went from 270 to 220 and the back pain is mostly gone.

Guest Zak202

Good luck. I keep putting off going back to the Dr for mine which is L4 & L5 too. They told me next time I went in it would be surgery. I have a few friends that have had it and said it was the best thng they ever did.

Been there, done that. Just healing from a fusion two months ago, my second at the same levels. The first was a bone fusion, this one is the screws and rods. Broke the first at work in January. Good luck and do what you are told. There is relief coming almost immediately.

Steve

:fingers-crossed-emo

Hey Dingy, Can you talk the doctor into a two for one deal??:confused24:

I have issues right now at L4-L5. Chiropractor is getting some relief, but not nearly enough yet.

I had your procedure done at L5-S1 back in '95. It took me one extra day to get walking, they figure due to the amount of time I suffered with it (stubborn:bang head:), the nerves were having problems NOT being pinched anymore. They gave me 6 weeks off of work, but after 3 weeks I was in the basement working on my Shovelhead engine on the work bench.:thumbsup2:

Good Luck, Scooter Bob

Gary, I'll be praying for you! I'm in therapy right now. When I got up in the morning I couldn't wallk the pain was so bad, had to stretch out on the floor finally make to sitting position, than try to walk----took several attempts and lots of pain to acheive so I know what your going through. GOOD LUCK!!!

hi,

Had the very same surgery in dec. 09 was done at 9am walked out of the hospital at 4pm. that was on thursday, on monday I returned to work installing snowplows. Not any real noticable pain except for the incision. I hope yours turns out as well as mine.

allen

An update to my surgery. It has been postponed. I developed a blood clot in my lower leg, due to the way I had been sitting with my legs sorta crossed in order to help relief pain in my back.Dr. had to put me on blood thinners to break up the clot.

Won't know how soon I can get surgery for a while yet. Foot swelling will have to go down first. Then they can take me off the long acting thinner (cumidon) and put me on a shot type of thinner which is only good for about 24 hours. After several days cumidon will be out of my system then they can stop shots for a day or two and do the surgery.

Other than that I am still able to work. I can sit fairly pain free, once I find a comfy position. The work I do is 99% desk, sitting at a PC designing stuff in CAD. My employer has been very understanding through this. I am still a contract employee, so they could dump me if they wanted, but there is no sign of that.

This gettin' old sucks, but it's better than not gettin' old at all.

:backinmyday:

Gary

Bummer on the postponement Gary.

I finally got an MRI scheduled yesterday morning, I get out of bed in worse shape than normal, and get caught off guard by a sneeze I didn't have time to assume the position for, if you know what I mean, and pow. Had all I could do to get in the shower and get dressed. Walkin' around like Mr Tuddball from the Carol Burnett show!

Missed work wed, today, and tomorrow. Chiropractor adjusted today and got me moving better. Tomorrow is decompression therapy (the rack). Doc is concerned that a second discectomy at this spot won't last long.

As far as the gettin' old thing, I was only 30 last time, and 45 now. This could be a long road ahead.

Best of luck on yours,

Later, Scooter Bob