IGNORED

Tribute to my mom

1joeranger

This is about my mom who passed away just these past hours. I know a lot of you here will express sympathy. It is one of the reasons I love this website. So, if you don't mind to much, I would like to pay tribute to my Mom!!

Her name was Jimmie. What I know about her most was that she had 5 kids by the age of 22. Her and my father married early in life, she 14 my Dad 19. Once, thinking I was the reason they married so young, I checked the records. They did lie about her age but I was not the reason. They just hit it off. I remember being 15 and not being able to quite comprehend being married with a child at that age. At 52 I'm still in a little awe of her accomplishment.

Mom didn't have an easy life. He mother was ½ Cherokee or so and could put the fear of God in someone. Ask my brother. He has always rebelled against authority figures except for his grandmother. She was the only person I ever saw to put fear into him. Anyhow, my grandmother would put my mom on top of moonshine and run it up to Chattanooga, TN from Alabama. She also hauled my mom off to California where she ran into trouble with the law. After that it was back to Alabama. Mom's husband, my dad, tended to blame her for most of our shortcomings and was highly critical of her most of their marriage. Yeah, he was a bastard that way but he was who he was and this is not about my Dad, who I dearly love to.

Mom loved Elvis! She would tell me about her and her girlfriend jumping out of an old beat up truck to dance to his music, not caring about any traffic, as the hot asphalt kissed their bare feet. What can I say it was a different time. While I was in High School Elvis, toward the end of his career, appeared in a concert near us. I had grandiose plans of surprising her with tickets. But, alas, I was just a high school punk at the time. Still it would have been great.

I remember returning home my first time on leave from the military. I found my mom asleep in bed without her teeth, and with dyed “white” hair. I thought I had aged her terrible. Nope just bad taste in hair color!

Mom was crazy about her grand kids. Not sure how many there are. I know I haven't met all of them but I do know this if Mom loved you it was with everything she had. She was stingy with that love but oh man, if she gave it to you she gave everything. If she thought someone had done one of her loved ones wrong they were beneath contempt in her book, period.

I grew apart from my mom over the years. With time the mom of my childhood, who was loved by all, was replaced by the mom who had faults, was more human, who wasn't loved by all. I rarely visited and would find reasons not to during our infrequent communications. God has his own way of communicating. He made it clear to me that I would never find love until I figured out how to love my mom. That I have done. I wasn't to late. I found out that I do love her! And I made sure she knew it. She made sure that I knew she loved me. Hell, I've always known that!

I sit here crying as I write this I knowing I am blessed to have had such a mom!

I am very sorry at the loss of your Mother. To lose a loved one is a terrible thing...when that loved one is your Mother, the loss is magnified. I know that you are hurting now...somehow the pain will lesson throughout time. God bless your Mother and God grant you the strength to get through these tough times.

Sorry to hear about this. It is really difficult to lose a parent physically, but you will find that they are still with you in a way. I find that when I am on a long ride by myself it seems that my Mom or my Dad go with me. I hope that you find peace in the situation soon.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is one that can't be replaced. I lost my Dad who kept me from wrong. Taught me to control this stupid temper I have. Mom is 86 and has her garden ploughed and ready to go this spring. She told me the other night when I was really hurting in the hospital that she was praying for me. Seemed to make it easier.

I know all too well what it is like to loose someone you feel you could have spent more time with and I truly feel sorry for your loss. Your words are true and carry a lot of weight, hopefully they will enlighten those who are still fortunate enough to have their parents and impress upon them to spend as much time as they can with their Parents. As you said in many cases parents are not perfect and they never will be. But most always try to do the best they can the best way they know how.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad to read though that amends were made and love expressed before it was too late. So many times, it is too late before people realize that though things may not have always been perfect, the love was always there.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. So glad you got back together with her. Thanks for sharing your story. If my mom were here with me today, I would pick up the phone and call her. Thanks for the memories.

Patti and Don

I'm sorry for your loss!!!

It's hard for me to realize my Mom left this world 12 years ago this month. The hurt never goes away, just gets easier to deal with. There are still days when I have a thought; "Gosh I need to tell Mom..." or "I need to ask Mom...."

My thoughts and prayers are with you and you family!!!

I had spoken to my sister a few hours before our mom's passing. She was with her and told me it would not be much longer. She said mom had really been sweat and at peace over the past week. I laughed and said "Who is that person, and what has she done with our mom!?" My sister laughed and replied "No one else would get that, just us!"

I hung up with a heavy heart realizing I was gonna have to break the news to one of my daughters. I was concerned about how to inform her without disrupting her college life with this grief.

Several hours later she calls me letting me know that mom was gone and wanting to know if I was OK. My child was more concerned about my well being then about her own grief! I really had it together up until then!!

I want to Thank each of you for your time, consideration, and in honoring my mother!

So sorry to hear of your mom passing. Prayer's are being sent for you and your family.

I still go to my mom's grave and talk to her about problems and somehow she gives me answere's. She always seemed to know how to handle and take care of anything. I think most mom's are like that and know us better than we know ourselves.