hi all not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. at kregerdoodles mx saturaday i have come out and told the houston bunch that i have prostate cancer. i have known about this for about a month now. brad and lonna were the first to know and keeped it to them selves until i was ready to go public (as i feel ya'll are my family). i wanted to tell ya'll my self. i'ts in the early stages and i will be talking to my doctor wedesday about having the operation. i have read the old post here about other members haveing this cancer, and i just want to REMIND everyone that it's very important for our male love ones to have the psa blood test. i will keep everyone updated as time goes own. see ya'll down the road some where.

reguards

don c.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunboat my friend, remain strong and positive. You can and will beat the demon, no doubt in our minds. We'll do what we can on our end to help you out every way possible, as I'm sure everyone in this large family will do as well. You can, and you will beat your adversary!

gunk and beth

All the best with the surgery Don. Thanks for the reminder to have those tests done annually! My doctor and I have had that "special" relationship going since I was 40. For 20 seconds of discomfort its all worth it in the end...excuse the pun!

Gunboat,

I have the same cancer detected last august 2010, and I decide to do the surgery on October 26, 2010.

I had a Robotic (Somebody called Laparoscopic) surgery that I found was developed for the people that sells the Da Vinci Robots for that purposes.

I was walking (Not without some pain) at the second day, and back home also on that day.

After that, I was lucky that everything was encapsulated, and after 3 PSA tests still have cero on PSA level, what indicates the cancer is gone, and due to the encapsulation the probability to had mestastasis is almost 0. (I said almost because still is a probability, not a yes or no).

It will take a couple of weeks (3 or 4) but everything will be Ok.

You don't even will notice except to get sleep during the surgery, so don't worry everything will be Ok.

Good luck and let us know how that goes.

Carlos

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sorry to hear the news Don, I know it hits like you've been kicked in the gut, when I found out I thought he was talking to someone else until it seeps in.

I had mine removed Nov of 09, I was given various options, Brachetherapy...radioactive seeding...Laproscopic and Cryotherapy....freezing...I researched on line and found out about the Da Vinchi robotic assisted surgery and this is what I opted for, its less invasive, nerve sparing and quick recovery time.

I now belong to the Prostate support group in Windsor where we talk to guys that have been newly diagnosed, and help them understand their options and also give them support, as all of us have been where they are going. It does help to talk about it and know your not alone.

If you do need to talk my # is in my profile, or PM me.

Ian

[ Got some Friends that Got it last year. One went with Treatment No Surgery, 2nd one had surgery, & Both are doing good, & the 3rd one is Just Waiting hes had it for 3 years hes 77

Good Luck

QUOTE=gunboat;571261]hi all not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes. at kregerdoodles mx saturaday i have come out and told the houston bunch that i have prostate cancer. i have known about this for about a month now. brad and lonna were the first to know and keeped it to them selves until i was ready to go public (as i feel ya'll are my family). i wanted to tell ya'll my self. i'ts in the early stages and i will be talking to my doctor wedesday about having the operation. i have read the old post here about other members haveing this cancer, and i just want to REMIND everyone that it's very important for our male love ones to have the psa blood test. i will keep everyone updated as time goes own. see ya'll down the road some where.

reguards

don c.

I had a high PSA about 10 years ago. Watched it for a few years and then went through all the biopsies, etc. Turns out I just have an enlarged prostate, and higher than normal PSA counts are not an absolute indication that cancer is present. At least that's what they are now saying. Back then it was positive. It scared the 'H' out of me for over a year until all the tests were taken. Now I don't think about it much. Good luck with yours and prayers sent....

Don,

Thanks for letting us know. You have a lot of friends here who really do care about you. I hate the "C" word about as much as any other word I know but I am encouraged by the fact that they have identified the possibility at an early stage. I have confidence that you are going to be just fine and we are going to offer up plenty or prayers to back that up.

Take Care,

Don

Don,

Sorry to hear this news. I was a young 43 when mine was detected (runs in my family). After they took 12 different samples during the biopsie it was tested and the doc said I had a aggressive form but was still contained inside the prostate. Back then the options werent as good as they are now for treatment. I went with total removal which was very evassive surgury back then. 5 days in hospital, cath and bag for 3 weeks after (that really sucked) but hey here it is 10 years later and my last psa test was.025 the same it was a month after the surgury. Even though I went through alot of pain I dont regret it a bit going with the total removal. So do your research and consult with you doc and make the best decision for you. Wishing you the best.

John