IGNORED

Just Need Opinion....Thanks

RRKR

I do not own a Royal Venture, and.....knowing nothing really about them from experience, I would say that it would not be my first choice as a tourer. The Gl 1800 would fill that bill for me...................But, that being said, I CANT AFFORD A GOLDWING. An 06 with decent miles cost about what I paid new for mine. (16,200) I had an 06 and sold it because of a home improvement loan, and bought a much less expensive Kawasaki VN2000 Classic LT, which I LOVE, but my wife....does not. I like her to ride with me, and she is still spoiled to the Wing.

I have found an 08 with less than 10k miles. It is immaculate, but has nothing other than what came stock, for an even $10,000. This is a super deal IMO, but its 500 miles from me. So if I go, I have to buy it based on what I see, or have made a 1000 mile trip for nothing.

A brief test ride will not tell me all I need to know, so I am asking for opinions, which granted, will have to be biased, I understand.

I am concerned about power. I appears to me that only 1300 cc's for an almost 900 pound bike is reaching a bit.

I am concerned about PASSENGER comfort. My Vulcan is very very comfy for me, but not particularly for my wife. I can only assume driver comfort would be great. Does anyone here have experience with both.

Thanks

Sir,

10k is just broke IN. Had friend who wife has been on GW entire M/C Career, then she rode on my Venture and was AMAZED to say the least. What is the City and State the Bike is at??? Someone here might stop by and look it over and test ride it if ya like. Secondly the $12.00 for this website will pay for itself 1,000's of times over. :080402gudl_prv:

Is that 2008 the Black Cherry over Raven(black) like mine?

OH YEAH forgot to mention the 5 year warranty too

Edited by frogmaster

I was going to buy a GW when I was ready for a touring bike but decided on the RSV for a few reasons such as: Style, I just liked the looks better, $$$ had features that the GW had for less money plus a CB radio stock, Comfort, with a bum knee I needed something I could stretch out on more than the GW allowed, Warranty, 5 years got my attention. I like the bike and the 4 cylinder 1300 gives plenty of power for two up. My wife likes the second seat much better than the cruiser we had prior to the RSV. I have had zero problems with my 06 and would make the same choice again.

I am concerned about power. I appears to me that only 1300 cc's for an almost 900 pound bike is reaching a bit.

I am concerned about PASSENGER comfort. My Vulcan is very very comfy for me, but not particularly for my wife. I can only assume driver comfort would be great. Does anyone here have experience with both.

Thanks

You'll no doubt get a lot positive feedback on both of the above.

No, it's not as powerful as a GW1800 ... but it's got more power than most folks need. You can't go be cc displacement for determining power. This is a 4cyl engine that thrives on higher revvs, where it's power band is. It will disappoint you if you try and drive it like a V-twin but it will surprise you if you drive it the way it's designed.

There's few bikes out there that offer as much passenger comfort as the RSV. Nothing more to say about that.

Sir,

10k is just broke IN. Had friend who wife has been on GW entire M/C Career, then she rode on my Venture and was AMAZED to say the least. What is the City and State the Bike is at??? Someone here might stop by and look it over and test ride it if ya like. Secondly the $12.00 for this website will pay for itself 1,000's of times over. :080402gudl_prv:

Actually, it only has 5567 miles. I am afraid to tell someone where it is cause they would probably buy it.

You'll no doubt get a lot positive feedback on both of the above.

No, it's not as powerful as a GW1800 ... but it's got more power than most folks need. You can't go be cc displacement for determining power. This is a 4cyl engine that thrives on higher revvs, where it's power band is. It will disappoint you if you try and drive it like a V-twin but it will surprise you if you drive it the way it's designed.

There's few bikes out there that offer as much passenger comfort as the RSV. Nothing more to say about that.

I kind of thought that would be the case with the passenger comfort.

I am kind of hooked on torque. My GW had great torque, and the big Kawasaki is just ridiculous, and in fact is faster than my wing.

But, if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy

When I bought mine it was about 300 miles away. I just asked about stone chips, scratches and an overall condition, I explained to the seller I was comming with a trailer and I really didn't want to waste a day for something that was misrepresented by the seller. They were very open and the transaction went well.

Good Luck !!!!

:mytruck:

When we tested all the touring bikes my wife thought the BMW K1200LT was the most comfortable for the passenger, Royal Star second, Goldwing third and the HD Ultra a little cramped, (that was the HD before the 09 Frame change)

I thought the Royal start was most comfortable for me, BMW second, Wing 3rd, but I had issues with the Wing being top heavy at stops, the foot pegs being right where I wanted to put my feet down, and first gear being a little high making it tough for me in stop and go situations.

As far as engine size, any bike over 1000cc has plenty of power. Before I bought the RSV I added hard bags and trunk and toured on an old Kaw 750. Even two up it had enough power for anything I wanted to do, just not enough room for two people.

Sir,

Yes.................black cherry over raven

When we tested all the touring bikes my wife thought the BMW K1200LT was the most comfortable for the passenger, Royal Star second, Goldwing third and the HD Ultra a little cramped, (that was the HD before the 09 Frame change)

I thought the Royal start was most comfortable for me, BMW second, Wing 3rd, but I had issues with the Wing being top heavy at stops, the foot pegs being right where I wanted to put my feet down, and first gear being a little high making it tough for me in stop and go situations.

As far as engine size, any bike over 1000cc has plenty of power. Before I bought the RSV I added hard bags and trunk and toured on an old Kaw 750. Even two up it had enough power for anything I wanted to do, just not enough room for two people.

odd you mention that. I had already worked out a deal with a dealer in OK city, Ok, on an 06 k1200 LT with 30k miles for $11,500. But after some soul searching, I couldn't do it. I saw some really good pictures of couples riding them. Something turned me off, not sure what it was...........looked a little Honda ST 1300'ish....more sport touring or something

The RSV has a lot more passenger room then the GW has.

Depending on how big/ wide your passenger is, the comfort level would be much greater on the RSV..

RSV is top heavy as we all know...GW is not..

Many things to consider between the two..

I loved my RSV..till I wrecked it.. I was looking for another RSV and came across my GW and couldnt pass it up for the price I paid and all the accesories that came with it..or I would most likely have a RSV right now..

However, now that I have the GW, I would not go back to the RSV due to the ease of handling, power, and I do not miss the foward controls at all..I am used to the GW controls, and the RSV would be clumbsy to me now.

I really liked my RSV though... it looked like a real bike and not a two wheeled tupperware party going down the road..

Friend of mine had a Vulcan,,, rode with his wife, but then to the problems with her back, bought something else,,,, yep a Venture. He's only 5'8" but says it better than the Vulcan. He also tried the Wing, but liked the looks and seating better on the Venture. After a year, he wouldn't trade it.

The only thing to be aware of is the whine,,,, it could drive you nuts if it can't be fixed.

I looked at a 'Wing befire I bought my RSV, and the choice was obvious to me. Both have pros and cons, so you have to decide for yourself. Brand new, the RSV was 2K cheaper. It was much more comfortable than the wing. The particular Wing I tried out had a lot of creaky plastic noises. As far as performance power wise the RSV was a tad slower but they were pretty much compatable.

OK the Wing was definately better at low speed maneuvers, and the RSV can be a little intimidating, but the learning curve is pretty fast, and it is easy to underestimate the handling capabilitys of the RSV. I found out you can lean them a lot more than I thought when I went into an unexpected turn a little faster than I should have, but everything was all right going further than I thought the bike could take!

The bottom line was the warranty, 5 years UNLIMITED mileage as opposed to 2 years limited mileage, and the warranty IS transferrable!. Although the RSV is a little wide and tall for my stature, I don't regret choosing the RSV!

Of course I did like my 1st gen better than my 2nd gen...

Is the bike in Texas or there abouts? I see your in Central Texas and there are many of us that would be willing to go take a look and a ride on it to let you know the skinny.

Several in Texas would probably be willing to meet you to go look at it also. :thumbsup2:

I would ask a few questions has it been down does it have a clear title etc. Sounds like a hell of a deal. I bought my 02 on ebayn never regretted it. I'm sure he's gonna requre a deposit so giv e him one if you don't like your out of a deposit thats all.

Quote: I am concerned about power. I appears to me that only 1300 cc's for an almost 900 pound bike is reaching a bit.

Keep in mind that they do make 98 horsepower, like to run up in the higher revs, and pull hard enough and quick enough to handle virtually all situations. They run 'way over 90 in 3rd gear, and go plenty fast enough to put the average rider at risk if they really push it. When you want to pass, just click it down 1, maybe 2 gears (depending on your speed) and hang on! I ride two up a lot, often pull a trailer, and have never thought about being underpowered. My :2cents:

To be completely honest with you, the first time you ride the RSV it will feel HEAVY, which it is. At a stop this will be the most noticeable thing about it. Once you start to move though everything changes. The bike will instantly lose several hundred pounds. On the open road, I personally don't think there's a more comfortable bike out there, even a Wing. The biggest thing you'll have to remember is not to let this bike's size make you think it's not up to the job. It put's out a lot of horsepower and it's all in the right hand! Forget about the weight and just twist the throttle. As far as passenger comfort, it can't be beat! My wife rides with me alot and has a hard time of staying awake! Find a dealer near you that has one and ask to test drive it, but don't go just around the block. At least 30 miles!!! You won't be disappointed. Good luck with whatever you decide.

OK the Wing was definately better at low speed maneuvers, and the RSV can be a little intimidating, but the learning curve is pretty fast, and it is easy to underestimate the handling capabilitys of the RSV. I found out you can lean them a lot more than I thought when I went into an unexpected turn a little faster than I should have, but everything was all right going further than I thought the bike could take!

OK, I have seen a few people say that. I rode the new Wing, BMWLT and the RSV several times before I bought the RSV, and under 5mph to a stop I always found the RSV easier to maneuver, and since I bought it and switched from the 150 front to a 130 I find it even better.

So I have to ask, what do you mean by low speed?

I kind of thought that would be the case with the passenger comfort.

I am kind of hooked on torque. My GW had great torque, and the big Kawasaki is just ridiculous, and in fact is faster than my wing.

But, if mama ain't happy, nobody's happy

One thing you won't have on the RSV is low-end torque. However, once you get the revs up a bit, you will then get the torque and the higher the revs, the more you'll feel it. It's not uncommon to wind these engines out to 6000 rpm or higher .... you wouldn't be doing that on a V-twin ... at least not on a regular basis. Now after riding the Kaw 2000, you may feel a bit disappointed in the RSV's power but once you get used to the RSV along with all the "thank you honey's" coming from momma, you'll be a happy camper! BTW, does momma snore when she's sleeping??? :rotf:

Actually, it only has 5567 miles. I am afraid to tell someone where it is cause they would probably buy it.

Can tell you are new to this forum, what You have at your fingertips here is access to a great group of people that love their bikes, love riding, are willing to share their knowledge and help out a fellow rider, and treat a newbie with respect. You WILL NOT find that anywhere else. If they offer to help, it is because they want to see other people enjoying the riding experience, and are not looking to take advantage any anybody. NO other place the VENTURERIDER.ORG:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

The 5 yr warranty started the day it was originally bought. You probably have until 2013 with it. That is one of the things that influenced me to buy my '09 (warranty still to 2014) plus the rider and passenger comfort. As for the "whine"... if it does have the clutch basket whine it would be under warranty anyway, and not all of them have it. Coming from a Virago 1100 with shaft drive I either don't notice it or don't have it.

This site is great for the support you'll find from members plus all the technical docs already available. And as you've already noticed, willingness to help you with upgrades or even to look at bikes you find to save you the drive !

I could be wrong, but I don't think :backinmyday: you have to worry about that from this bunch!

Now, there may be some in line behind you ready to pounce if you decide no......:)

I'm surprised some have let this comment slip by. Anyone with a 1st Gen might want to jump all over this to get an updated, faster bike ! I wouldn't admit to the 2nd Gen being the faster generation... I haven't ridden a 1st Gen... but I like my '09 !