IGNORED

2 up education

royalstar09

... I may lighten my gas load for a while in an attempt tohelp me in my learning curve as well. 6 Gals up high like that is only adding to my learning issues.

Actually if you can find away to INCREASE your gas load a little bit you probably won't have to worry about anyone wanting to ride with you. Or maybe just stick to taking one or two gals at a time. I have heard stories (and seen a picture... I think) of a member here that gave two gals a ride once at the same time - I know I am not that good.

:witch_brew::witch_brew:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone should hit the gym - (or eat healthier soup)! (and no I am not talking about HER) :stickpoke::stickpoke:. Although it may be hard to eat anything at all until you can pry that appendage out of your mouth... might be time to bust out the 'ol shoe horn again,eh? Good luck with that!

:rasberry:

Easier to pry my "appendage" out of my mouth than yours out of your mouth ... :rasberry: :rotf:

As for hitting the gym, not a bad idea .... as for eating healthier, I figgure I do pretty good in that department, considering who (Nina) does most of the cooking!

Actually if you can find away to INCREASE your gas load a little bit you probably won't have to worry about anyone wanting to ride with you. Or maybe just stick to taking one or two gals at a time. I have heard stories (and seen a picture... I think) of a member here that gave two gals a ride at the same time - I know I am not that good.

:witch_brew::witch_brew:

hmmmmmmmmm.... interesting concept .... :whistling::Laugh::178::smile5:

I too mount first, engine off (already warmed up before hand), kickstand down. I lay my tummy across the gas tank holding the bars with the front brake on to make more room. My wife is shall I say well nourished. She olds the backrest with her left hand, places her left foot on the left foot rest, leans to the center of the bike. Stands up, swings her right leg over her seat and sits down. I sit up, start the bike, put up the stand and away we go.

Ok, with a few exceptions, I'm one of the smaller folks I've met riding a RSV. I'm 5'6" (if I stand up REAL straight) with a 27" inseam. I have lowered the front of my bike 1", but still cannot put both heels down at the same time 1up. So, I have no choice but to let my co-pilot mount 1st. Right after I got my RSTC we tried letting her get on 2nd. After almost turning IT over, we never tried THAT again! :shock3:

So, when the RSV came home with me we didn't EVEN try letting her get on 2nd.

As far as having trouble getting it up off the stand 2up, I PLAN where the passenger is gonna get on. If necessary I will move the bike to a place where it is as straight up on the stand as I can get it, before the passenger gets on.

That being said, I am looking at some kind of trike conversion to help with the slow speed/stopped handling. Between the two of us we're probably putting 370 pounds on the seats, and the RSV is a little top heavy anyway.

Here's what I'd like to get, but they say they do not make it to fit RSV. Darn,darn, darn!But I'm working on 'em. Maybe they would change their mind with a few more inquiries from Royal Star owners?

http://www.trikealternative.com/retractatrike.shtml

Mel.. it looks like they did their 'Ghost Wheel' version of that on a RSTD

http://www.trikealternative.com/images-photos/Yamaha-RS-Finished-005-640.jpg

http://www.trikealternative.com/ghostwheels.shtml

So you may be in luck.

I am only 5'7 and I stand the bike up before wife gets on.. no problems.. she does a good job of making it seem easy.. but I like some of the ideas here .. espec the leaving the kickstand down for insurance.

Riding for me was a huge decision to begin with many years ago. I had witnessed a bike crash. Seen them bounce off parked cars then get drug down the road under their bike nearly hitting me head on while they are sliding trapped under and being drug by the bike. I sold the bike I had at that time and very apprehensive to ever ride again.

That is something I have dealt with but not forgotten, so I tend to be a little more carefull then what may seem to be necessary. They both recovered but with permanent damage to his left leg.

Now as a firefighter/medic I see and respond to bike crashes. All this makes me more carefull then what someoone else may see as necessary. Im an "on guard" rider. Cant wait for the ride like a pro DVD to get here. Recently had a rider leave my bar (he wasnt drinking) they had lunch. Making a nice easy ride out one of our secondary roads in a line of aprox 15 bikes, he was last. On a nice safe straight away they passed a farm tractor with big bale hauling steel spikes on its front had thought all the bikes were passed him and the tractor went left causing the rider to take a big bale fork to the head.

All that said I love to ride and work tons more cager wrecks. Just ride very cautiously without taking away from the fun.... :322:

Easier to pry my "appendage" out of my mouth than yours out of your mouth ... :rasberry: :rotf:

Okay, so you got me there. Although I have plenty of practice since my foot ends up there on regular occasion. Darn un-proportionate feet.

As for hitting the gym, not a bad idea .... as for eating healthier, I figgure I do pretty good in that department, considering who (Nina) does most of the cooking!

Yeah - I just like to give you as many 'soup-erstar' related plugs as I can... Just because I still think its pretty awesome.

hmmmmmmmmm.... interesting concept .......

You betcha - Tx2sturgis is the man. Still don't know how he does it, but there ya go.

Guest PlaneCrazy

Personally, I don't agree with the passenger on first method. I prefer to be in control of the bike so that they do not have an accident.

What I used to do with my wife was I would get on the bike and plant both feet flat... almost trying to stand up.... while I had my right hand gripping the brake tightly. I would have her always mount from the left side. Just a habit that I picked that side because the previous bikes I owned all had double exhausts on the right side and this way was just prevented a burn. I guess it would be good for the kickstand too, in case you ever did have to let the bike go over.

My wife would always grab my left shoulder, then put her left leg on the left peg and lift her right leg over and sit in the same motion. She would be close to my back but standing up almost straight on that left peg as she did this. Not trying to "pull" herself up from the ground.

Also, any new passengers I had I would instruct on how NOT to move their upper body or arms when we were going slow or stopped at a light. More then a few times, I was in the ready position at a light when my passenger would move suddenly and point out to something and almost make me loose it, lol.

I am not too sure how well i will handle 2up riding this year though. I broke my ankle last summer trying to mount my bike with a bunch of bags on the rear seat and I will have to see how it handles the stress of the RSV when I get back on it for the first time this spring. More then a little nervous over that, I can tell you. I installed a rear lowering kit and will also mod the seat, so at least I can plant my feet more firmly this year.

A lot are saying not to let the wife on first. Mine usually gets on first.

Pic of my 130lb wife handling a 2nd gen with my 220lb rump on the back. She has minor carpal tunnel in both wrists, and her left ankle was crushed when a car hit her bike aout 3 yrs ago.

She does the "stand and squeeze the tank with the legs" method. As i stand up on the board (my legs dont bend good anymore) I am careful to lean on the seat to keep my weight centered.

Try putting the kickstand on a 2x4 so it is more level and help you hold it while she practices in the driveway.

Couple things I would suggest....

- lots of practice one-up riding. Get used to the bike in movement and stop/starting

- good boots with no slip soles

- exercise to strengthen the legs

When my passenger gets on I am always on the bike first with motor running, hand brake on, feet firmly planted, in neutral. Some say the driver should be in a standing position to get leverage as the passenger gets on. I'm usually sitting and haven't had any issues. I let the passenger know when I'm ready before they get on.

As for having the side stand down, I prefer it to be up before the passenger gets on. I've tried it down and then straightened the bike up after the passenger got on but what I found was that as you are trying to raise the side stand the passenger is getting settled in the seat or hooking up the intercom. You have your right foot down and trying to move the side stand with your left foot so you are balancing the bike on one leg. Not a good idea!

I keep the bike steadied (both feet down, hand brake on, hands on both grips) until the passenger is settled in and hooked up. Once they say they are ready I put it in gear and off we go.

• 1 year later...

I have read the posts concerning passenger mounting (pun intended) and have a couple of questions or looking for some advice.

I am 6’-0” and ~200, the wife, is as I have heard described earlier, well nourished (like that term) thus heavier than me. I am also a newer rider of a ’01 vstar 1100 custom. Although this bike has a passenger seat it is roughly equivalent to the back seat of the ’65 mustang; it exists and functional, but as a grown adult you don’t want to spend much time there. Our children and friends have encourage my wife into wanting to ride with me and them for group rides (yea them ‘cause I couldn’t entice her). Given that the 1100 is not the ideal bike for the two of us we have narrowed the choices down to the RSVS and the Goldwing. I’m leaning toward the GW but the wife is leaning toward the RSVS. Being an IT guy I tend to do a bit of research (talking to experienced riders and reading) before making a decision. The one thing that has me a bit concerned about the RSVS is a 1999 article (http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/touring_motorcycles_comparison/index.html) siting some control and breaking issues for the RSVS. I guess what I am asking is for your experiences and a conformation/rebuttal for the statements contained therein (I understand that this may be a year/generation issue).

Second question and more on topic. Due to previous health issues she has more mobility in her left leg than her right. This health issue also causes her to need to keep the right leg in a straighter position if holding one position for a period of time. Having done some research there are some passenger aftermarket pegs that would help solve straigntend leg issue, but the leg mobility issues cause her to wonder if mounting the bike from the right side instead of the left wouldn’t be better. I know that there is no “law” or “rule” that states that this is not possible but are there know issues with mounting the bike from this direction other than convention?

we had the same problem. My wife is a big girl. And has some mild to moderate knee problems. So she was as others stated hauling herself up with her arms. gave me a heck of a time holding the bike. Now we just have her mount the bike while its on the sidestand and me off the bike just like she does her own bike( as if she was going to be the driver) and then slide back. When shes on the pillion I then mount up myself and stand the bike up. We have also worked it out between us and if Im haveing a hard time standing the bike up she will lean a bit to the left and counter balance enough to get it up straight and then move back to central position.

As other say practice makes perfect so keep it up

David

Never had anyone on the back without me on the bike first. Bike upright with my feet on the ground, I just pull the front brake, she puts her hand on my shoulder left foot on floorboard , steps up and over. Don't ever remember it being an issue.

I get on with the kick stand down. I plant both feet then she gets on, still with the kick stand down. When she has settled I bring the bike upright and lift the kick stand. To get off ( down Rick) I put the kick stand down and plant both feet. She then gets off ( I said down Rick) and then I get off. ( Now Rick, stop that giggling.)

Didn't have time to read all the posts, but can I have my input?

I'm 5'10", 170 or so. I ride an 85. My wife is a little heavier than me ad about 5'9".

When we started to ride together, she got strict instructions. Put both your hands on my shoulders and then mount up when I say ok,,, not before. First time was ok, but then it degraded so I started to do the safety thing, I left the kick stand down until she was set. Forgot to do that once, and I'll not forget that night, I sure knew I was of the male gender.

Fast forward to this week. The first time she got on, I wondered if she had got on yet,,, yep, she now knows this thing real good,,,, oooppps, Sunday was a different story, she forgot something and I had to hang on, but she noticed and said,,, I'm sorry and the rest of the day went just fine.

The other thing she has learned is that once in the saddle she becomes a bag of wheat. If she needs to move, it's when we are going 20mph or better, under that, she sits still.

We're learning,,,,,,,, 7th season this year!!!

A lot are saying not to let the wife on first. Mine usually gets on first.

Pic of my 130lb wife handling a 2nd gen with my 220lb rump on the back. She has minor carpal tunnel in both wrists, and her left ankle was crushed when a car hit her bike aout 3 yrs ago.

She does the "stand and squeeze the tank with the legs" method. As i stand up on the board (my legs dont bend good anymore) I am careful to lean on the seat to keep my weight centered.

Try putting the kickstand on a 2x4 so it is more level and help you hold it while she practices in the driveway.

That be great if the wife could drive. One could really cover some miles in a good days ride.

My wife drove the Wing with me on back. This was interesting. I would get on 1st and she would get in front of me mostly on the tank. I was her landing rears. She would take off as I draged my foot. Once uder way I would kick back into the passenger seat and she would slide back into the driver seat. The biggest bike she rode before that was my 69 Kaw 90. She got the hang of it really quick on our 800 miles to Red Deer Alberta from Puyallup WA.

Coming to a stop she would slide on top of the tank and I would slide into the drivers seat. Lower my feet and draged as she breaked to a stop while I then took a hold of the handle bars. I put the side stand down then dismount and she would dismount. We never got stop by the police. All she had was a m/c permit.

Back in 1980 I had an 80 1100 Goldwing, I would get on first then my wife. I was shy 5' 8" about 145 lbs and she 5' about 115 lbs. Just standard foot pegs, so I was easily flat footed. No problems.

That was then, so today about 29 years later I'm still shy 5' 8" but added about 30lbs tilting the scale at 175. She is still 5' and around 130 lbs. The 1 Gen is much taller than my 80 Wing. The VR has floor boards also.

So with the rear air up to 55 + lbs I'm not flat footed. But as she climbs on board then I end up flat footed. But she has challenges getting on, with me already on. As she is having challenges getting on and taking too long I end up loosing my foot hold on the VR. So with the side stand down she puts the drivers back rest foward onto the tank then steps onto the drivers floor boards then swings her right leg over then slides into the passenger seat.

When getting of, I put the side stand down, get off move the back rest forward. Then take my right hand and put it under her right boot as she is trying to lift her right boot over the seat, which seems to be an obsticle. As I the pulled her right boot/leg over the seat then she would slides of the bike. It is an interesting event to watch.

Oh I have to remember to shut the engine off as she is climbing onboard for her 1st step is to put her left foot on the driver floor board. As she then swings over and slides back, I could see her foot accidentally hit the heal of the shift toe/heal shifter and putting the VR into 2nd gear. So now I shut the engine off as she mounts.

About 2 months ago when my passenger was mounting I let the lean get a little too big and we both sat down on the pavement next to the bike.

Now it a rigid practice. Everybody get the quick brief every time: "Sit still when stopped or slow-moving. Lean with the bike. Relax and enjoy."

1st time (with me) passengers, we talk in more detail about what that means.

Mounting:

1. I get on and start up.

2. If necessary manouevre into a position where I can take off forwards (I never ever back up with a passenger if it can be avoided at all).

3. Stand down, bike resting on stand.

4. I stand up on left foot, taking my weight off the bike and stand.

5. Passenger gets on and settles in.

6. I sit, lift bike, side-stand up, go.

Dismount:

1. Stop, stand down, bike resting on stand.

2. I stand up on left foot, taking my weight off the bike and stand.

3. Passenger off.

4. If necessary, manouevre bike into parking spot.

5. Shut-down and off.

Haven't had an issue since we started this. Same rules apply whether it's my 60# daughter or my slightly heavier wife. I tell every passenger that if they don't follow the rules and they cause the bike to go over, they get to pick it up. (this son-of-a-beach is heavy!)