IGNORED

2 up education

royalstar09

It would seem to me a logical answer to your problem is to convert your bike to a trike. You still have the benifit of riding in an open air vehicle, but not the hassle of worrying if you can hold it up while your wife get on or off. Besides, it's just a matter of time until you pull up to a stop sign with a little sand or gravel on the road and your foot begins to slip... Another added benifit would be that you could teach her how to drive the bike, which would allow you to change out drivers and take a break.

Regards,

Smilin Jack

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is very small so for us this isn't usually an issue. But I do take people for rides that are much larger and I always give them the "speech" before we go anywhere near the bike.

Anyhow what works for me is I get on first. When I'm ready the passenger gets on and I hold the bike. The big trick for me especially for larger passengers is to lean the bike to the right as they get on from the left. As they transition from side to center I bring the bike back to upright. In this way I don't have to hold up the weight of the passenger.

I almost never let the passenger get on first unless it's a kid or elderly (somewhat challenged) person.

Once you do this a few times it is very easy and takes little strength.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as my wife getting on and off the bike, I also do it with the kickstand down everytime. I always get on first, then she gets on. Same way getting off, she gets off first. I do put my left leg out to take a little strain off the kickstand, but the stand is definitely holding the bike up, not me! I don't even want to think about trying to hold that beast up without the kickstand when she's getting off the bike!

As for getting the bike off the kickstand we both usually say "Ready" and lean to the right at the same time. Then I push with my left leg and it comes right up. Moves the center of gravity to the right and makes it way easier to get it off the kickstand.

Try these two things and I bet your life will be much easier!:cool10:

Ride Safe!

1/2crazed

I learned... what felt that worked.

1. Maneuver the bike into a SAFE position for mounting, and launching from, put kickstand down.

2. Double check my passenger is ready.

3. Mount my bike, check balance

4. I Tell them to place left foot on the passenger board, left hand on my left shoulder, and right hand on the seat rest, and lift yourself into place, as you get on, move your right hand to my right shoulder, and sit.

5. Kickstand up, engage first gear.

GO

Off? kickstand down, hop off.

WOW... I haven't read this thread for quite a while and it seems I've missed a few of the posts. Fact is, I got quite a "kick" out of some of the funnin back-and-forth that I'd forgotten about.

Now I have a Wing ... and for some reason Nina has more difficulty mounting it than she did on our 3 previous bikes. In the process of sliding her right leg across the seat, she somehow manages to boot me in the arse.... :rotfl:

Just tow this behind the bike and you should have no problem getting a passenger on and off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18750.jpg

WOW... I haven't read this thread for quite a while and it seems I've missed a few of the posts. Fact is, I got quite a "kick" out of some of the funnin back-and-forth that I'd forgotten about.

Now I have a Wing ... and for some reason Nina has more difficulty mounting it than she did on our 3 previous bikes. In the process of sliding her right leg across the seat, she somehow manages to boot me in the arse.... :rotfl:

I'll give points for that. The Wings seat is great, but man, getting on it myself as a backseater, or even a friend of mine, always, I boot the driver, and the passenger boots the driver :confused24:

I'll give points for that. The Wings seat is great, but man, getting on it myself as a backseater, or even a friend of mine, always, I boot the driver, and the passenger boots the driver :confused24:

ah-ha! ... so Nina's "excuse" is legit then? .... and here I thought she was just taking advantage of the opportunity! :rotfl:

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't read through all the responses but i always do this:

before anyone gets on or off, i put the bike in a position that is flat, has firm footing, and all you have to do it pull straight away. for instance, don't put a passenger on the back and then try to back out of a driveway. don't put yourself in a position that requires herculean strength and balance. Get the person off in a safe spot and then go park the bike.

be safe!

The only time I ever have had a problem with my wife 2-up was once when, staging for a Christmas parade with the PGR. Where they had us was a slight slope, left side downhill.

Normally, I leave the kickstand down while she is mounting (the bike). After I get on, and let her get on after me, and get off before me (like that's a duh... But that's another thread)

So with the bike leaning a bit more than normal, I had her get off (the bike), and go ahead to where the ground leveled out, then just had to stop there to let her on again. It was a pain, but the slope was just to much for me to straighten her, I, and the bike up.

And no, she's not a large woman at all, rather slender.... :doh: (for my safety, thought it best to add that...)

:stirthepot:

• 4 months later...

I know this is a older thread but things I've learned.

1. take a safty riding class or watch them on Utube.

2. learn to pick up your bike by yourself. it really is easy.

3. ride by yourself for awhile to get use to the bike. yes I know she wants to ride now.

4. watch how she gets on the bike and make adjustments. should stand close to bike and step on. if she needs to step on the front floorboard turn the bike off so she won't knock it in gear.

5. if she needs to adjust make sure she tells you first and wait tell you tell her it's ok to move now.

6. she needs to know not to help you ride the bike(leaning) just sit there.

7. practice slow moving manuvers buy yourself in a empty parking lot. (closed schools) Have a friend with you and make sure you watch how to pick up the bike yourself.

8. practice parking and moving the bike back by yourself,also backing into the parking space.

9. don't ever yell at the rider.

10. have fun.

Maybe its that She's known you longer now and now kicking you in the arse has become a daily habit? :buttkick:

Brian

My passenger (pillion) is up there in the weight department, and has joint issues, so she lacks flexibility and agility. When she is not riding her own V-Star, she gets on the Venture first with the kick-stand down and the engine off. Then I get on, start her up... and away! Never had a problem bringing the bike up from the kick stand.

Getting off... reverse process: Stand down, me off, her off.

I do ensure that the bike is parked on the flat, so it is not leaning excessively to the left and nor is it too upright.

It is amasing the punishment that kick stand can take!

I want to add that whenever your feet are on the ground you want to have as wide a stance as possible. When my Venture was new to me I was at an intersection as a thunderstorm was approaching. The down burst ahead of it nearly knocked me over. Ever since then I really spread them at all stops.

My wife didn't start riding with me until after that. I'm sure the wide stance hasn't hurt us any on the mount/dismount.

• 3 weeks later...

Those of you that are interested in getting a few tips on carrying a passenger may want to take the experienced rider class. Here in Pa a passenger is allowed to ride with the driver on all excercises but the first one. we try to coach both operator and passenger during the course.... Just food for thought