IGNORED

Scam or not??

Condor

I've been looking around for a VW Dub Beetle for my daughter and found one that appeared on Craigslist yesterday. The ad looked good...sorta?? So I took a chance and responded to the email...which also looked good... sorta...?? After responding, I then did a national CL search on Google. The ad popped up in Pennsylvania, San Francisco Ca, and here is Sacramento. I figured, ah cr@p it's a scam. Then I received this response this morning.

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my ad. I'm in a hurry to find a buyer because I have a family emergency and I need to sell it before December 9th. My name is Emily. I'm an Air Force Staff Sergeant stationed at the Elmendorf AF Base, Anchorage, Alaska. The car is here with me.

I'm the original owner. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name. Non-smoker. It is rust free, salt free and has a clean undercarriage.

This 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS has 74,200 miles, Campanella with Tan Lether Interior, Automatic, FWD, Engine 2.0L L4 SFI SOHC 8V Gasoline. AM/FM Anti-Theft CD Player Premium Sound AC Auxiliary Pwr Outlet Cruise Daytime Running Lights Dual Heated Exterior Mirrors Heated Exterior Driver Mirror Power Locks Power Mirrors Power Steering Power Windows Rear Vents Sunroof Tilt Anti-Lock Brakes Drivers Front Airbag Dual Front Airbags Fog Lights Keyless Entry Rear Defroster Security System Side Airbags Side Head Air Bag Variable Wipers Extra Keys and more...

Here you can find more pictures of the car: http://s1228.photobucket.com/home/beetle_pics/index

(if the above link does not work copy and paste it into a new web browser window).

It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,999. If you want to buy this car I will take care of shipping. Shipping will be door to door, to your home address and I will offer 5 days to inspect the car from the moment you receive it (and the option to accept or reject the vehicle on my expense), before I'll have your money. So if you need further information please get back to me as soon as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.

SSgt. Emily xxxxxxxxxxxx

So I wrote back stating that I was interested, and we'll see were it goes from here.

If this is a scam, DAMN!! it's good. Some things that still bother me are.. No license plate on the car in the pics. The price is way cheap. Logistics..it's located in Anchorage. Pushy time frame... Condition is much better than what I'd expect being in AK??

What I like is she's not wanting me to pay for the thing up front.

This one's really got me confoosed...

Hmmmm, she is paying the shipping. The usual scam isfor you to send the person the shipping charges first. Know anybody up in Alaska?? That's the best bet.

Maybe you can find out if she really does exist at the base...

Condor, my daughters boyfriends family is in Alaska. Depending on where in Alaska. How can I help

This response raises 2 concerns

I will take care of shipping. Shipping will be door to door, to your home address .

How can she offer that when she doesn't even know where you are? You could be from Austrailia!

I will offer 5 days to inspect the car from the moment you receive it (and the option to accept or reject the vehicle on my expense), before I'll have your money.

Ask how that works...and she will probably tell you thru ebay escrow....which if you look into it... there is no such thing.

I checked into a Kabota tractor for 1/3 its retail value....same type of scenerio....it was a scam.

I would strongly suggest that you tell her you have a friend up there who could check it out for you. She will probably try and put you off somehow.

Condor, my daughters boyfriends family is in Alaska. Depending on where in Alaska. How can I help

The owner says she is a Staff Sgt at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. We do have a member listing in Anchorage, and thought I'd see if he could check it out, but don't want to do that until she responds to my last email.

This is one of those, if it sounds too good to be true stories. I looked on CL and in my opinion, is a scam.

Sorry Condor, but you'll have to keep looking I'm afraid.

Steve

I've been doing CL for just about forever, and if it is a scam it's one of the best I've ever seen. It's still worth checking it out just in case the thing is on the up'n'up.. Either way I'll be philosophical about the whole thing...

My daughter in Vacaville, knows an Air Force Officer that is stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. She can also looker Emily up in the Global directory, but she left her last name off.

Let me know how I can help. I not available all day for I'm taking my wife to the Airport to Visit our daughter in Vacaville, in the mean time we in the Seattle/Tacoma are experiencing one of our worst winter storms that I've seen this early in 51 years, and so I'll be on the road to the airport mid to late morning, if the airport is open around noon time.

ABSOLUTELY A SCAM

Common sense should tell that when someone is desperate to sell a vehicle, cheap, they definitely don't need to go hundreds or thousands of miles away to do it. I search craigslist numersous times throughout the day. When a local for sale by owner vehicle comes up for sale at a nice price and has a phone number, it doesn't last long.

My daughter in Vacaville, knows an Air Force Officer that is stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. She can also looker Emily up in the Global directory, but she left her last name off.

Let me know how I can help. I not available all day for I'm taking my wife to the Airport to Visit our daughter in Vacaville, in the mean time we in the Seattle/Tacoma are experiencing one of our worst winter storms that I've seen this early in 51 years, and so I'll be on the road to the airport mid to late morning, if the airport is open around noon time.

Yeah I left the last name ex'd out, but I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference. It's SSgt Emily Danielson. Let me know what you come up with, and stay dry. We're getting the tail end of the front down here....

Umm, I have to say scam. I lived in Alaska for 32 years and I can tell you that

at least half the trees in the background don't grow there. Another give away is that no one calls it "The Elmendorf AF Base" the adding of the word "The" is not local . Also note that there is no DOD tag anywhere on the vehicle (which would be required if she was based at Elmendorf). Lastly in the 3rd and 6th picture you can see a dealer tag on the keys.

All I can say is Run Forest, Run.

It's a scam google the first line.

Good call Joe. :thumbsup2: I'll have to remember that. At least it'll give us something to talk about for a while.... :)

For everyone else, call off the St Bernards... I'm going back to look at the '99 coming up next week in an auction....

I've been looking around for a VW Dub Beetle for my daughter and found one that appeared on Craigslist yesterday. The ad looked good...sorta?? So I took a chance and responded to the email...which also looked good... sorta...?? After responding, I then did a national CL search on Google. The ad popped up in Pennsylvania, San Francisco Ca, and here is Sacramento. I figured, ah cr@p it's a scam. Then I received this response this morning.

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my ad. I'm in a hurry to find a buyer because I have a family emergency and I need to sell it before December 9th. My name is Emily. I'm an Air Force Staff Sergeant stationed at the Elmendorf AF Base, Anchorage, Alaska. The car is here with me.

I'm the original owner. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title, clear, under my name. Non-smoker. It is rust free, salt free and has a clean undercarriage.

This 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS has 74,200 miles, Campanella with Tan Lether Interior, Automatic, FWD, Engine 2.0L L4 SFI SOHC 8V Gasoline. AM/FM Anti-Theft CD Player Premium Sound AC Auxiliary Pwr Outlet Cruise Daytime Running Lights Dual Heated Exterior Mirrors Heated Exterior Driver Mirror Power Locks Power Mirrors Power Steering Power Windows Rear Vents Sunroof Tilt Anti-Lock Brakes Drivers Front Airbag Dual Front Airbags Fog Lights Keyless Entry Rear Defroster Security System Side Airbags Side Head Air Bag Variable Wipers Extra Keys and more...

Here you can find more pictures of the car: http://s1228.photobucket.com/home/beetle_pics/index

(if the above link does not work copy and paste it into a new web browser window).

It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $2,999. If you want to buy this car I will take care of shipping. Shipping will be door to door, to your home address and I will offer 5 days to inspect the car from the moment you receive it (and the option to accept or reject the vehicle on my expense), before I'll have your money. So if you need further information please get back to me as soon as possible.

SSgt. Emily xxxxxxxxxxxx

So I wrote back stating that I was interested, and we'll see were it goes from here.

If this is a scam, DAMN!! it's good. Some things that still bother me are.. No license plate on the car in the pics. The price is way cheap. Logistics..it's located in Anchorage. Pushy time frame... Condition is much better than what I'd expect being in AK??

The Shipping alone will cost $1500 and she doesn't even know where you are. If you were in Maine it would cost $3500 don't wastew your time it is a scam plus book on the car is around $6000

Hi,

SSgt. Emily xxxxxxxxxxxx

The Shipping alone will cost $1500 and she doesn't even know where you are. If you were in Maine it would cost $3500 don't waste your time it is a scam plus book on the car is around $6000

I responded to one of those adds recently...the story I got is that the military person was in Greece and would put the car on a plane to send it to me. NO WAY! I spent 28 yrs in the Air Force...there was a time (way back when) that you could do something like that...today...NO WAY. The kicker in our deal was that if I did not like the car...they would be able to find another buyer with no problems??????? How they were going to do this when the car is in my possesion is beyond me!

I've been doing CL for just about forever, and if it is a scam it's one of the best I've ever seen. It's still worth checking it out just in case the thing is on the up'n'up.. Either way I'll be philosophical about the whole thing...

Jack, you need to respond to more of these scams .... the person's response was so similar to many other's I've responded to "just for the halibut". I love to see their ridiculous responses and then reply back to them with some of my own "razzing".

Recently I advertised a Motorola set top box (receiver for satellite TV) on craigslist and a guy from Vancouver Island tried to scam me out of it. Wanted to know if I'd ship it to him if he paid my asking price ... then about 5 days later he msg'd me again wanting to know how much I would sell it for, shipping included. My responses, of course, were that I'd gladly ship it once I had the cash in hand ... haven't heard anything more for over a week LOL

on a side-note, are you getting any of this arctic cold down there? man we sure are getting a blast of it here in Vancouver .... high forecast of minus 5 celcius today ... was down to minus 10 last night with high winds made it feel like minus 20.

As others pointed out, saw the dealer tag. I would keep it on a personal key chain until I sell it and then maybe put it on something like a dealer tag if I still had it.

Not sure on the DOD tag (if it is what I think you are referring to) as on the 1st pic I see a rectangular sticker on the lower driver side of the windshield.

It is absolutely a scam and not that much different from all the others out there. She never said that you wouldn't have to put the money up...she said that she would not HAVE the money. That simply means that she'll want you to put it into an escrow account and it will for SURE be a fake one. She will have your money immediately and you'll have nothing but a lighter wallet.