IGNORED

Cassette Deck, why do you have a problem with MORE options?

LilBeaver

Alright folks, I have a question for you. I don't understand what the big deal is with Yamaha offering us MORE options for fulfilling our audio desires. So many of you pee and moan about the bike being so 'behind the times' because it has a cassette deck. I do realize that some also indicate they are 'behind the times' due to lack of fuel injection and gauges - but I'd like to focus on the cassette deck for now since so many get fired up over it (I'd like to understand).

The way I see it, is Yamaha is giving us MORE options. They give us the AM/FM radio, a cassette deck, an optional CD CHANGER (standard on 09 and up), integrated into the audio system as well as an Aux plug for whatever audio we want to plug into. So, if you don't like the cassette deck, keep the little door closed and don't use it, or pull it out and put something else in like a storage compartment or gauges.

Why all of the complaining? I just don't get it. Just like the little, almost useless, DC connector under the seat that many of us snip off and put something else useful on there. Just because I choose NOT to use it, doesn't mean I'm going to B and Moan to Yamaha because they put it there.

I really don't understand all the hub-ub about the cassette deck, maybe someone can enlighten me.

By the way, I happen to use mine. I have a handful of cassettes that I recorded some music on for when I don't feel like hooking up my MP3 player - or when I don't want to deal with batteries going dead or whatever. My cassette deck never skips.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mabe a little - but I really am curious why some get so ticked off about the silly cassette deck... :confused24:

I think I'm embarassed by the fact that I say I ride a Yamaha RSMV and someone says.... "oh... ain't that the one they're still putting cassette decks in?" .... That's what it's all about... an embarassment.

Apparently tho, Yamaha doesn't understand that word.

The 1st gen was the latest in technology. Putting a cassette deck in something that came out in 1999 is just stupid. Did they even make cassettes in 99? CD became the standard in the 80's. Yamaha took a giant leap backward with the RSV. How many of you have them and want something up to date? When Harley has better technology, then you know things have gotten out of whack. Just my humble opinion.

I always thought that it would be funny if we had the sound of a loud Harley recorded on tape. And when a Harley pulls along side of us at a stoplight, turn the tape up loud. Oh well, it was just a thought.

We used to use our tape deck when we first got the bike, now we use the CB, radio and Mp3 option.

Yama Mama:smile5:

I ride my rsv because my wife and I injoy it.It has enough power to haul our fat butts around.:shock3: Heck,I can't figure out how to operate the dang sound system controls on this thing anyway:think:We injoy just riding and talking.Thats right I said it,I talk to my wife.I had to say that,she's going to read this.:whistling:Anyway,would i like EFI,belt drive,abs and a top of the line boom box? Of course i would.I can only believe that if yamaha wants to compete in the touring bike business,they will come out with a gen3 that will blow away the competion.If not than I can rest easy in knowing there will be a lot of low milage, low cost 2nd gens around for a long time.:thumbsup2:the more we ride our bike the more we love it.So i say, love it or leave it.:bowdown:

The way I see it, is Yamaha is giving us MORE options. They give us the AM/FM radio, a cassette deck, an optional CD CHANGER (standard on 09 and up), integrated into the audio system as well as an Aux plug for whatever audio we want to plug into. So, if you don't like the cassette deck, keep the little door closed and don't use it, or pull it out and put something else in like a storage compartment or gauges.

I agree with you that having the cassette deck doesn't necessarily detract from the bike. I think it comes down to what could they have put there instead of the deck?

Whether the bike has FI or carbs... bike runs great the way it is. If they offered the same bike with choice of FI or carb,... I might still go with carbs.

Support for blue tooth would be nice thru the intercom, or playing music from cell phone.

I to wanted FI and other up to date items. Then I realized that the combination provided by Yamaha works. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And all those other features cost:mo money:

Really? So how do you account for "all those features" being costly when a 2011 RSV-S has an MSRP of $20,200

Compare that to the Kaw Voyager ... $17,500

Or the Harley Ultra Classic... $19,500

c'mon guys... quit letting your pride get in the way of reality.

In fact, I have two others I bought here on this site and plan to rebuild them. At a young age of 71 I have cassettes that are favorites. And in the Rockies here getting a strong station is had sometimes, so the cassette solves the problem. And I do want to keep it as it is original equipment just as I am. LOL. Yep, a CD player would be nice though, and when the :mo money: is here I will hope to have one installed somewhere on the bike.

Just my humbles.

JackZ

aka

Jack Tharp

Ft Collins, CO

PS I do plan to ride tomorrow! And Trail Ridge Road is STILL open at 14,000 feet! Jz

You know - NOTHING is perfect.

There's always some little imperfection somewhere in or on everything.

A lot of time it is very hard to find.

Yamaha needed to have something on its RSV that wasn't perfect, so they made it bleeding obvious - BY PUTTING IN A TAPE PLAYER.

Now EVERYBODY'S happy.:bawling:

In fact, I have two others I bought here on this site and plan to rebuild them. At a young age of 71 I have cassettes that are favorites. And in the Rockies here getting a strong station is had sometimes, so the cassette solves the problem. And I do want to keep it as it is original equipment just as I am. LOL. Yep, a CD player would be nice though, and when the :mo money: is here I will hope to have one installed somewhere on the bike.

Just my humbles.

JackZ

aka

Jack Tharp

Satellite Radio

PS I do plan to ride tomorrow! And Trail Ridge Road is STILL open at 14,000 feet! Jz

Satellite Radio is your answer

Why all of the complaining?

Amateur shrinkologist time: It's about insecurity.

A guy with insecurities makes a crack. The other guy's insecurities cause him to question his choices. The first guy wouldn't have made the crack if he wasn't worried about his own choice, but that doesn't occur to the second guy. The second guy is now worried about what the first guy made a crack about. The first guy is happier because the second guy is less happy than he was before. Now the second guy is looking for something to make someone else less happy, which will make him a little less unhappy. The cycle continues.

Doesn't work very well on me. I love my ride and I don't care what anybody else on the face of the planet thinks about it. As a result of my security I tend not to poke at others in an attempt to fire up their insecurities. If they poke at me I know they have insecurities and on the right day I'll try to pick at that scab. (I know it's wrong, but sometimes...) Most of the time I'm happy to welcome everyone on two wheels into the brotherhood.

As to a lack of change in the Venture: First there's simple manufacturing reality - change costs. The economic situation is already driving the price of foreign made goods up. Second, why mess with what works? It's not like Yamaha has a lot of Ventures sitting around unsold.

Finally, in reference to the Voyager and Ultra Classic costing less, so what? They're both V-twins. Why in the world would I want a V-twin? Why would I want belt drive? I already have the most beautiful cross country touring bike made. It's paid for. It's blinged out the way I like it. I'm a happy camper.

Security is a cool thing.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Bummer: You make some good points in there and I have to agree with you. I couldn't care less with respect to what other people think of my bike. I chose to go with the RSV because I happen to like the features that it has. I was just curious as to why it never fails that someone will make a stink about the cassette deck when the next year venture is discussed (or anything related to that, for that matter).

I happen to like the liquid cooled, V-4 with a shaft drive. I have NO interest in owning a touring machine with a belt drive. The flat four on my wing (or the flat 6 they have now) I wouldn't be totally opposed to. A v-twin though, no thanks.

On that note, I was curious and hoping to focus on the cassette deck.

I can appreciate the viewpoint of 'what else could be in the place of the cassette deck' though, as I know H-D puts a single CD in there. Although I wonder how long that player holds up to all of the vibration, shaking and rattling (no this is not a 'dig' at H-D, it is a simple observation about what happens as you drive - just look at the folks that have had trouble with their CD Changers).

Anyhoo, keep the [constructive] responses coming, I'm still interested.