IGNORED

Cassette Deck, why do you have a problem with MORE options?

LilBeaver

I think I'm embarassed by the fact that I say I ride a Yamaha RSMV and someone says.... "oh... ain't that the one they're still putting cassette decks in?" .... That's what it's all about... an embarassment.

Apparently tho, Yamaha doesn't understand that word.

Hmmm. My experience is that when I say I ride a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, I get a confused and puzzled look. I have yet to meet someone that actually knows what a Venture is (outside of the people associated with this site).

As I recall, YOURs does NOT have the cassette deck in it, so nothing to be embarrassed about than, eh?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the casette issue has come to symbolize Yammies unwillingness to make even the slightest update to the RSV in 12yrs.

Ya think!

I really wanted a Venture, but I couldn't make myself buy a bike that the manufacturer itself isn't the least bit interested in.

If they were interested in keeping interested buyers, don't you think they would care enough to at least change a feature that has been obsolete for 8 years?

Hmmm. My experience is that when I say I ride a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, I get a confused and puzzled look.

Yes, I get that fairly often too.

I have yet to meet someone that actually knows what a Venture is (outside of the people associated with this site).

Guess you need to spend more time around these parts :rasberry:

As I recall, YOURs does NOT have the cassette deck in it, so nothing to be embarrassed about than, eh?

This is true but, it does not detract from the fact that such a response (as I posted) could be made by someone.

I do appreciate my cassette players.

I use the cassette/MP3 player adaptor thingie on the 1st gen to use my MP3 on it.

At least the bikes' cassette players are built in units.

I remember using a Walkman (hooked on my belt) when riding my VMax.

The music stopped when I was out on the interstate. Looked around to see that the cassette player door had blown open and I was trailing about 50 feet of of my vintage Isley Brothers tape. I stopped, reeled in the tape, stuck it back in and it still worked. Put a rubber band around the Walkman's door and rode on - jamming with my tunes.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Personally, if I were to go out and buy a 2011 Venture or any other bike or even a car, and it had a cassette deck in it, I would not be happy. Why????? Why would I want to put out hard earned money for technology (cassette) that is no longer supported? When is the last time you went someplace (other than a truck stop) and seen cassettes for sale? Seriously! Why would you want to pay for something like that. I my opinion the cd player is a waste. It takes up a large section of the bag and for what? 5 or 6 cd's? Plug in an mp3 player and you can have hundreds if not thousands of songs. Yamaha just does not want to invest any money on a real new bike until they run out the supply of parts to build the existing bike. I think that they could come up with a nice guage package that would fit right in place of the cassette. Sell it with all of the hook ups and alot of guys would buy it. Just don't put outdated technology in the bike and expect poeple to buy it. Now it's time fo me to get up and turn the channel knob on my 1970's tv and adjust the rabbit ears.......the picture is kind of snowy.

With all the responses about what to put in the place of the cassette player, I've thought several times about trying to find a gps system that would fit in that hole, be waterproof, and have a motorized screen that would come out to view. Otherwise it would be hidden inside the dash like the cassette player. It would probably cost an arm and a leg, but at least it would be useful!!

I think I'm embarassed by the fact that I say I ride a Yamaha RSMV and someone says.... "oh... ain't that the one they're still putting cassette decks in?" .... That's what it's all about... an embarassment.

Riding past other "bagger" riders at the coffee shop, they all look in admiration of my '09 Venture. Looks great, sounds good with stock pipes.... I'm not embarassed. Even the Harley riders watch as I cruise by.

Touring bikes need the extra cylinders, liquid cooling, shaft drive. Yamaha has it, even though they haven't changed anything in 12 years. Some people would complain when a "classic" is changed anyway.

Even though my bike has the connector for a cd changer, I wouldn't put one in it. Takes up space in the side bag. Single cd player in place of the cassette player? No thanks.

Built-in mp3 player or blue tooth with controls... that would be nice. But don't mess with the retro looking speedometer ! (other than make it accurate !)

Edited by XV1100SE
add making speedometer accurate

We have an 08 RSV. I use every feature of the sound system except the cassette player. Even if Yamaha makes an upgrade with more hi-tech electronics, FI and belt drive I'm not going to buy a new one anyway. The one I have works just fine. It serves all my two up riding needs. As for the cassette deck, it will probably come out this winter and be replaced with gauges. :2cents:

Hmmmm, maybe ill come up with a cassette library of Venture road tunes and sell it here for 19.95 plus shipping and handling....BUT WAIT!!!! if you act now ill double your order AND include a tape head cleaner absolutely free!!!! (just pay for seperate shipping)\

Cassettes include "Slim Whitman"..."Peter Lemongello"...And if you act within the next 60 seconds we will also include a double set of Slim Whitman/Peter Lemongello's unheard of secret recordings. (just pay for seperate shipping and handling...AGAIN) First come...first served..supplies are limited. We reserve the right to limit quantities. All sales final. Cash only. Master Card or Visa accepted. Add an additional 75 dollar fee for foreign orders.

As seen on TV!!!!!:smile5:

Riding past other "bagger" riders at the coffee shop, they all look in admiration of my '09 Venture.

As you "ride past them..." ... your sure it's "looks of admiration" and not looks of "hey guys, there's one of those bikes that they still put cassettes in... guffaw..guffaw" :rotf: :stickpoke: :witch_brew:

We oftentimes stop at a couple "biker hangouts" on our day rides around here. Most of the bikes that are there are Harleys with a sprinkling of other makes and most of the time, there's quite a lot of bikes. I almost always check out the other bikes, especially those that are done up quite nice, talk to some of the owners, etc ... rarely has anyone came over to "admire" my scoot. That is not to say it hasn't ever happened tho.

Truthfully, I'm not embarassed that I ride an RSV but more that it's embarassing that Yamaha is still putting cassettes in their current model. Guess I should have clarified that more.

Guest tx2sturgis

In the Wikipedia article about Compact Cassettes, you will find these paragraphs:

Among the last in the developed countries to leave the compact cassette format are artists and groups belonging to the "dansband" genre, who many still in the 2000s had released their albums both to CD and to compact cassettes. Since many of their fans now are older, they often belong to a generation who was less interested in buying a CD player. However, also in this genre fewer artists and groups release recordings on compact cassette. As late as 2009, Lasse Stefanz and Torgny Melins released their latest albums to both Compact Cassette and CD.

In India, film and devotional music continues to be released in the audio cassette format due to its low cost.

Botswana-based Diamond studios recently announced plans for establishing a plant to mass-produce cassettes in a bid to combat piracy.

In recent years, the audio cassette format has seen a huge revival with independent record labels ("indie" labels) preferring to issue releases in this format due to its low cost and the difficulty in sharing tape music over the internet. Tape cassettes are expected to make a come back in the 2010s among music artists.

So....You can look at the cassette format as a piracy-fighting, affordable, technology of the future!

Or not.

I don't think the cassette deck is ultimately the problem. It is just an indication of the lack of development of the bike. I was at the stealer recently and was looking at the Stratoliner, the bags have quick releases and ipod connection in the fairing, a tach and, a real speedometer.

This dealer also has Kawasaki. When you look at bikes from other manufacturers you see the options they have and wonder if you made the right choice. People say the bikes are bullet proof but if you look at the posts here you see that the shaft is anything but maintenance free. The rear wheel hub still has the same grease issue from the factory it had 5 years ago. Maybe belt drive would be better. Whining gears, the list is probably longer if you parse the issues on the forum.

The week I bought my bike, someone with a 99 Royal Star parked next to me. It was the same bike. Everyone has varying amounts of buyers remorse. These issues just increase that feeling.

I don't think the cassette deck is ultimately the problem. It is just an indication of the lack of development of the bike. I was at the stealer recently and was looking at the Stratoliner, the bags have quick releases and ipod connection in the fairing, a tach and, a real speedometer.

This dealer also has Kawasaki. When you look at bikes from other manufacturers you see the options they have and wonder if you made the right choice. People say the bikes are bullet proof but if you look at the posts here you see that the shaft is anything but maintenance free. The rear wheel hub still has the same grease issue from the factory it had 5 years ago. Maybe belt drive would be better. Whining gears, the list is probably longer if you parse the issues on the forum.

The week I bought my bike, someone with a 99 Royal Star parked next to me. It was the same bike. Everyone has varying amounts of buyers remorse. These issues just increase that feeling.

If you don't like it, trade it and get something else!!!!

If you don't like it, trade it and get something else!!!!

Kirby I don't think you are getting it. It is not that we don't like it enough to get something else. This is just a forum to express frustration and wishes...At least that was my impression.

The last vehicle I bought that came with a cassette deck was a 1994 car. By 2000 almost all cars had converted over. The point is that Yamaha still sells the cassette deck 10 years after most of the world has moved on. Why are they the only ones, that is all we want to know. Great that there are some people that find a use for it. Next time I am in Best Buy I will see if you can still buy a cassette recorder. The point is how useful is the cassette deck any more and more importantly is Yamaha behind the times with the RSTD/Venture. I would say the cassette deck shows how Yamaha has stopped developing the model. Many people say the bike is perfect and that is why they stopped developing it....Really then why does my 2009 have the same issues as the earlier models.

I think these are valid discussions to have when you are trying to decide what bike to buy. I used to think that shaft drive is the way to go on a bike, but looking at how Kawasaki and Victory and Harley all have belt drive, maybe that is a better choice. SHaft drive is certainly not maintenance free maybe belt drive is. RSTD/Venture is still has carbs, most of the industry has moved to fuel injection, does it matter? I don't know, it would be nice if there could be a good discussion as to the pros and cons without the flame war that usually follows.

My 2 cents.

.... it would be nice if there could be a good discussion as to the pros and cons without the flame war that usually follows.

http://www.articlesbase.com/cars-articles/fuel-injection-vs-carburetors-1125454.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080506063936AA8P8CX

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100408130854AA9m3zH (modifications to a FI engine could throw the computer off - exhaust, air filter changes)

http://www.brighthub.com/diy/automotive/articles/51709.aspx

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/carburetor_vs_injection/index.html (interview with Holley and Flowmaster)

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/13552-carb-vs-fuel-injection.html

The number of discussions and comparisons goes on forever whether it is tech comparisons, Nascar, Harley, ATV's, marine, Mustang, Chevy....

Think it comes down to:

- carbs are easier to work on but require more maintenance

- FI more fuel efficient

- FI more expensive to add to a bike/car

- changing engine components or exhaust can require remapping of the FI computer

- horsepower/torque comparisons can go either way for which is better

- FI adjusts to environmental changes (altitude, temperature)

The carb isn't dead yet. FI won't make the Venture a better bike.

As I said previously the more I ride this bike the more I like it.With that said,I have to agree with those who would like to see up grades and improvements.One guy said he parked his new bike next to a "99" and it was the same.As far as the look of the bike,thats ok with me.The bike is a great classic looking bike.I hope they never make any major changes to the classic design.How ever,it is time to make them more efficient,safer and better handling.I don't think anyone here wants a jetson mobile.If they do then go buy a vision.

PS.i do hope they keep the jetson sound.:whistling:

I have a 99 and its practically the same as a 2010 model. Point is is that its 11 years old and still runs fine. Bulletproof or not, any part needs maintenance, even the shaft. The occasional greasing of the hub and splines increases the shafts longevity. Belt drives require a belt to be changed every so often. Each Mfg has a timetable for theirs and they are prone to wearing out/breaking/stretching. Some bikes here develop electrical issues as well. The charging system is inadequte if adding heavy power draw accessories, so we upgrade to a HO stator. Each bike has its own set of flaws and the Royal Stars are no exception. Carbs? I just keep mine up to date with the occasional sync and the can of Sea Foam running through it every oil change. The one major flaw with this bike is the rear shock. Yet my original lasted 10 years before it gave up the ghost. Some have been lucky and still have the original while others have had multiple shocks installed. Steering head bearings do need to be adjusted and greased once in a while too. Usually one greasing will do the trick. Good thing these models have that 5 year/unlimited mile warranty. You will get over that buyers remorse soon enough. And if your like any of us "old timers" here you will eventually go nuts from the "whine" and none of it will matter anymore anyway........:smile5:

I have used the cassette on my '86 VR a couple times, but mostly listen to the radio. The '04 Wing I have has XM and I almost never use the radio, it doesn't have a CD player and with XM I don't need it.

I just think the continued inclusion of the cassette on the Royal STAR Venture is proof that Yamaha has no interest...yet... of updating the bike. I think it is funny. I noticed that Sony (as mentioned elsewhere here) is stopping production of the Walkman. My personal cassette collection is turning to dust, and as I looked through it a few weeks ago, I won't miss them except a few that I made myself that are not replaceable. May have to find a way to put them in digital format.

I don't consider the current Venture as a viable option for me because I don't want a Harley look alike. That is why I bought the Wing. It isn't perfect. The perfect bike for me would be an updated Venture Royale. Same V4 but updated, a bit more size and torque, but not much. My Wing has almost too much power, doesn't really need that much, would like another 5 mpg better!

If the "new" Venture comes out with a huge V twin, then Yamaha has lost me forever.

Guest tx2sturgis

Can someone explain to me WHY you people buy a retro bike and then complain about it being retro? No one FORCED you to buy a bike with carbs or a cassette deck!

As I have said before, having a bike that is mostly un-changed across a decade or two assures us that the aftermarket will have a good supply of add-ons and parts, ebay will have deals on bits and goodies for the bike, and the re-sale or trade-in value remains reasonable.

Pay attention folks: IF Yamaha updates the Venture in any material way, YOUR Venture will be worth a lot less as a trade on one of them, parts for our existing bikes WILL get harder to find over the years and get more expensive, the aftermarket for parts and accessories will take YEARS to catch up, dealers will carry an even SMALLER inventory of parts for our bikes, ( try to find plastic panels for a '1986 Whatever' at the local dealer!) and if you want a new one, what is that bike gonna cost? 25 grand? More? And what will it look like? Retro or modern? If retro, the complaints will be that its not keeping up...if modern, the complaints will be that its 'too' modern.

Every few years, the Big 4 update their sportbike offerings, and that causes last years Crotch-Rocket models to tank in value, and the plastic body panels and seats and other components become quite rare and expensive after a few model changes. Even Harley has a problem with this now....lots of 5 year old Electraglides, DynaGlides, and Softails can be had for HALF of the original value.

I will close this article with the same thought I closed my LAST article on this:

Be careful what you wish for!

...lots of 5 year old Electraglides, DynaGlides, and Softails can be had for HALF of the original value.

...and HD owners have this misconception that Harleys have a better resale value.

Be careful what you wish for!

yup!!! ... I used to wish I didn't have to shampoo and blow-dry/style my hair every morning..... look at me now!!! :rotf: