IGNORED

Ouch!!! Stealer tire prices

I just got a quote on new front and rear Dunlop E3 tires for my 84 standard from my local stealer

$610...thats the final after tax and install price. (on the bike)

OUCH!!!!

I was told if I buy tires and bring them in it would be $65 for the rear and $45 for the front for install

I know we pay thru the nose for stuff up here in Canada...but thats a long way from US prices I've heard about on this site.

Anybody know where I can do better?

Edited by Trader
added quote for install alone

Guest scarylarry

The book calls for 1.5 hrs for removal of the tire, or that is what my stealer said, figures out to be 135.00 for labor + the cost of the rear tire, never heard what the front tire would cost.. After he told me that and that Mezteler was the best tire to installed..

Come across the border and have it done

Wow! I just had an E3 rear installed on our Gen II RSV for $175 total. Not at dealer but that's because I don't trust our local Yamaha dealer to work on a RSV. Kinda gave me heartburn when I had them do work on the 1100 Vstar.

Look around, you should be able to find someone in your area. You may have to order the tire and bring it in, but it sounds like you could save $$$.

Anybody know where I can do better?

Cross border shopping, that's what I did prior to the PIP meet & brought them back with me. SWmoto apparently now ships to Canada, but I have no idea on shipping cost.

Unfortunately, the Cdn distributers wholesale price to the Cdn Retailers, is more than US Retail prices, on various things that I checked.

Trader,

I bought an E3 for my 84 a couple of years ago from G. Bourque's in Moncton NB. It was $125 Canadian and I installed and balanced it myself. You need to find another dealer. Here's the link http://www.gbourque.com/eshopprod_cat_5701-62441_brand_26-370-407-381_product_870298.DUNLOP_ELITE_3_BIAS_TOURING_ST.htm

If you buy them there and pay for installation you'll still save a couple of hundred bucks.:scared:

Good Luck

Call Zdeno Cycle in Kitchener. They have some pretty good prices including installation.

http://www.zdenocycle.ca/en/index.spy

Even have a toll free number. Only a days ride right through Toronto, oh Joy :rotf: Take the 407 it is worth the money. Don't let them charge for not having the responder. Not sure about first gen's but they can not see the plate in the Photo.

Brad

Dunlop E3 rear for my 1st Gen. I brought the wheel in. $180 something with mounting at RJ's Motorsports in Nashua. The owner, Roger, is a great guy who cares about the customer and the sport. Always seems to have happy employees and customers in his shop when I go in.

First time to put tires on this bike. I couldn't believe how involved it was to get to the rear tire so 1.5 hrs labor seems totally reasonable if you have the shop take the bike in.

Hour and a half labour to take the back wheel out and reinstall it - I don't think so...

Except removing the right hand silencer can be a pain with the original gasket/sleeve - you can't just wiggle it, else you might break the collector box junction...

Removing the front wheel is a few minutes: 4x 14mm to remove the brake calipers, remove the cotterpin and undo wheel spindle. Loosen the two 12mm pinch bolts and remove the spindle and wheel. And curse when you realise you need brake new pads too..

No headaches there, although you'll need a stand under the front of the bike to make sure it stays sitting on the centrestand. Replacing everything should be no problem unless you are hamfisted and take a couple of attempts lining up the brake pads/wheel spindle/speedo drive.

The back is only more of a pain because getting the wheel out is tight. You need to either put the centrestand on a block, a ramp, or be ready to lean the bike over to take out and/or reinstall the wheel.

Other than that, it's rh pannier (key), rh silencer (14mm bolt & allen key pinch screw), rear caliper (2x 14mm bolt), pannier rail (2x 12mm bolt), rear wheel spindle and pinch bolt and it comes out.

More than five minutes, but not 45 minutes for a good mechanic. I'm sure that somewhere on the site are the Yamaha service bulletins which should say what time they reckon for a standard job such as this. Whether you'd spend more time looking than it would take to do the job though...

I'm lucky in that I have a reasonably priced local place where they have tools for you to remove the wheel yourself if you wish. Charge for them to do it is about £10. They'd fall about laughing if you suggested 1 1/2 hrs for a rear tyre.

DUNLOPS ARE THE CHEAPEST tires made. They make a zillion of them. Their bias ply construction has not changed in 25 years. My independent dealer tells me he can discount dunlops 25-45% and still make significant money on the tire. So I hope you are not paying retail anywhere.

Call Zdeno Cycle in Kitchener. They have some pretty good prices including installation.

http://www.zdenocycle.ca/en/index.spy

Even have a toll free number. Only a days ride right through Toronto, oh Joy :rotf: Take the 407 it is worth the money. Don't let them charge for not having the responder. Not sure about first gen's but they can not see the plate in the Photo.

Brad

Thats were I got mine done. Good people to deal with too. I 1st had them put avons on. When the sidewalls started to crack he jumped right in and said he would change them. When I asked to have the elite 2 put on instead, he had no issue with it at all

I ended up just putting on Dunlop 404's

Cheaper....and they felt pretty good on my 83 VR.

The standard is going to be used for parts, fixed up a bit and sold in the spring so cheaper is good enough for me.

Still cost $400 for the 2 tires and the safety check.

not to highjack this thread. but can you clue us in a bit more about.

If you don not have a transponder you get charged a "Video Toll Charge" on top of the distance charges. I think it is a little over 3.5 bucks everytime you use the highway.

They will reverse the charge if you are on a motorcycle as you can not get a transponder for a motorcycle. However you have to call them and remind them of this.

Brad