First street bike

uncledj

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first bike of any kind was a mid '60s Honda Sport 50. It wasn't tagged, (but at age 12-13 I wasn't licensed either) but I rode it all over the rural roads where I grew up. I was supposed to keep it on the dirt roads, but occasionaly I had to make a brief sprint on pavement to connect up a route. I believe it would do 50-55 downhill with a tailwind!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/GS1000E/DSCN2669.jpg

I soon moved up to a early '70s Kawasaki 100 Trail Boss with 5 forward gears and a high/low range shifter for a total of 10 speeds. Low range for the trails and the flip it to high range to head home. I was again supposed to stay off the pavement, but boys will be boys!

http://www.adclassix.com/images/70kawasakitrailboss.jpg

MY first real street bike was a '78 GS750E, bought new when I was 20 and traded in the following year for the '79 GS1000E that I still have! The 750 and 1000 were almost identical except for displacement.

http://www.bikesfromscrap.co.uk/assets/images/1979_GS750E_sweeping_800.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/jbmaynard/GS1000E/CanonPictures127.jpg

Edited by GaThumper

I was just thinking about my first street legal bike, which was a 1975 Honda XL350.

I had the same bike. Took it everywhere, street, dirt, rock, swamp .... hanging from the end of a front end loader (don't ask) But it was one tough little amigo.

This will really date me...Cushman Metro (step through) and was hidden in my friends garage so my parents wouldn't know about it. Then a Cushman Eagle took its place. Jeez I loved to ride at 13 years old. You would never believe the number and names of bikes I have owned and all the money I would be worth...if I had kept them.

:farmer:

I'm not as um "experienced" as most of you at my mere 31yrs old. My first bike was a 1983 Honda Shadow 500C. Rode it 3000 miles in 3 months sold it and bought an 01 Vstar 1100 Classic. I kept it 15 months and put just over 24000 miles on her. I traded he up May09 for my "Betty" 2008 Yami RSTD and now she has over 15000 miles.

I had several new dirt bikes and a couple of used ones before I got my drivers license and my first road bike.

In 1975 I picked up two 1970 Kawasaki Mach III 500 triples at an auction. $300 if I remember right. I made one runner out of the two, spent almost an entire winter rebuilding the motor on my mothers kitchen table. (we didn't have a garage)

Had a few other used road bikes in there, a BSA Lightning, Kawasaki LTD, Suzuki GSL and then in '84 I bought my first new street bike, an 1983 Honda 650 Nighthawk.

I want them all back, but I miss the Kaw triple the most.

Here are the only pics I could find of any of them, except the Nighthawk. Got lots of pics of that one, and most of the ones after. But the Nighthawk pic posted is from '84 and a trip to Michigans UP, taken at the 45th parallel on US-23.

Who is that handsome young guy?? He seems to have changed a little in my mirror.

OK...don't laugh...

This was me at 14. This was my 1st bike, when I turned 16. I was riding it before then though. I grew up racing motocross, and my stepdad used to let me drive his big bikes. When I turned 16, he gave this Yamaha XS Eleven Special to me. I NEVER got beat on this bike...lol I think it was an '81.

I said don't laugh...

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/XSEleven.jpg

mine was a honda sl 175 nice blue one. i loved that bike. i got it when i was 14 after giving up my beloved little honda 50 cc LOL i also had a benelli 65 cc. talk about getting mixed up that little sucker was all left handed. gas on the left brake on the left rear one. top speed was 45 mph down hill behind a semi LOL then i moved on to a honda cb 350. then honda 550 cb. then honda 750 cb. then i went yamaha 750 maxim. wow i better stop im starting to cry about my long lost loves.

Started on dirt bikes, however, first street bike was a Kawasaki 440 LTD. Nice bike but underpowered for what it was. Can't beleive anyone got a Yammy 1100 special for their first! WOW them things are rockets, can't imagine they are still alive!! :rotf:

OK...don't laugh...

This was me at 14. This was my 1st bike, when I turned 16. I was riding it before then though. I grew up racing motocross, and my stepdad used to let me drive his big bikes. When I turned 16, he gave this Yamaha XS Eleven Special to me. I NEVER got beat on this bike...lol I think it was an '81.

I said don't laugh...

OK I won't :crackup:

1967 Yamaha YM-1 Cross Country. 305cc and pretty quick. It was one of the :big" Japanese bikes of the day. Replaced with a 350 Kawasaki A7 Avenger, then a pair of 500cc Suzuki Titans. The last of those was traded on a NEW 1972 Kawasaki 750 H2 trple with Yoshi expansion chambers, K&N's and a jet job. From that to KZ 1000R, to Ducati 900SS, 2007 FJR, and, finally, the big Venture. (Still have my Duc though:hihi:, and put about 100 miles on her today:hurts:!

Lot of memories here!

First real street bike was a 71 Honda 175 Enduro. This was in 82 and the gas tank was faded out pink. A few years later, I went big time and got a 72 Honda 350four which was actually pretty sweet for the size. Then I went for about 25 years and bought my 87 VR. Talk about a step up!!!:eek:

My 1st was a 72 kawi 500 triple with a brand new top end. Talk about fast. Nothing like today's crouch rockets but for it's day. All my friends had 2 strokes. 1 had a Suzuki ram air 380 another a 75' H1 500 and the other Yamaha:12101: RD 400. Fun times!

My 1st was a 72 kawi 500 triple with a brand new top end. Talk about fast. Nothing like today's crouch rockets but for it's day. All my friends had 2 strokes. 1 had a Suzuki ram air 380 another a 75' H1 500 and the other Yamaha:12101: RD 400. Fun times!

My first was a 72 500 Triple also. - But mine was a basket case when I got it in 77. My dad was upset that I bought it, and told me it was a piece of crap. I stripped it down to the frame and painted the frame from Brown to Black, I bought a custom saddle off a Kaw 900, and modified the back fender and the seat so it would fit. Then painted the tank & fenders a maroon metallic with Imron paint. It was gorgeous and I got many compliments on it. I then went thru the top end. While I had the cylinders off, I painted them flat black, buffed the top outside fins to look like chrome, then filed the edges of the horizontil fins level and buffed them. I then spent $300 on a set of expansion chambers for it. I then took the front shocks apart and put new seals in them, then sanded the aluminum lowers smooth and buffed them to look like chrome.

When the bike was finished it was really pretty cool. I sure wish I had one or the 750 to go thru now. But now they are collectors bikes, waay too much money for me.

craigr

... I rode was my son's Kowasaki, ca. 85; big, heavy, and no center for balance. Loved it still.

THEN I bought my own 650 Marooon 84 Yamaha, with windshield, large faring, and bags.

Next XS100 Yamaha, hotest machine I ever had between my legs. Then I arrived:

My first brand new 86 Venture Royal, and now I have my second 86 VR, and am still going with bout 175,000 miles under my belt.

Ain't it great to ride. Put in 125 today and out tomorrow! Mid 50's. SPRING is coming!1

JackZ

Ft Collins, CO

Yup, I ride in all directions, cept down, ready to go UP but in no hurry!

:Venture::7_6_3[1]:

OK...don't laugh...

I said don't laugh...

Looks a little tall there for yah dont you think?