IGNORED

Who will / will not allow their kids to have a motorcycle?

Sunrayman

I was warned against motorcycles along with my two brothers. I was the family rebel, and years later (against my father's wishes) and after my "wild" years, I bought a motorcycle to commute to college.

I have had many weird events over nearly 30 years of riding, and have been in a couple of accidents with injuries. Yet, I continue to ride, and believe I will as long as I have the physical capbilities.

As my children grew up, I warned about the dangers, then my divorce kept me from day to day instruction. Now my son wants to ride, but I see him as extremely green and young lad to get into motorcycling in Chicago traffic, no less. He has already been in a rearend (his fault) accident, and been sideswiped n another occasion. I offered him my corvette (someday) if he promised never to get a bike. I was a pilot in my college days..(dad had a twin turbo aztec) and I feel I was far more technically trained which I include in my motorcycling.

Should I try to break in my son, while I have the energy? Or should I have him swear it off? What do y'all think?

Sunrayman :confused24:

Well if you remember right when you were younger I'm sure you did exactly what your folks said not to do. So I'd say telling him no probably won't work. Tell him if he's serious he has to take a beginner and an advanced motorcycle safety courses. Maybe if he see's what it takes he'd think twice or at least be better prepared. Ya know what they say boys will be boys. Might not be able to stop him, but maybe with the safety classes and you telling him what he needs he'd make a good decision on his own or maybe even be a better driver all around.

Margaret

Both my folks and sister, not to mention almost the entire extended family was anti-motorcycle. Never really got a reason why......they just hated bikes! I mean hated!!!

So I got one. Been in love with them ever since.

My folks would barely speak to me if I stopped by their place on the bike. Still like that today. Go figure.

So with that said I'd say expose your son to riding. Sign him up for a beginners riding course and let him get a feel for it. Let him know you will support him if he decides to be a rider......with some conditions. A safe bike, the proper gear and a safe riding style.

You know kids......the harder you push them away from something the harder they fight for it. I don't know if my love for them stemmed from the attitude of my family or not but at the time I know I bought my first one because it was "forbidden". What a rebel huh?

Both of my sons are well away from my control to allow or disallow them to do anything. However, I'm not not pushing the issue and am kinda glad that neither one of them show any interest in riding. My oldest son had a Shadow for awhile, about a month but quickly traded it in to get a new truck.

Riding means a lot to me but that does not mean that I think everyone should be on a bike. Motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than cars. A lesson I learned when I was sixteen after a 150 mph combined impact headon collision with a 69 Pontiac Bonneville. A near death experience, 3 months in a coma,1 1/2 yrs in traction, 3 yrs in a wheel chair. I am fortunate to be alive and walking and I ride with a completely different mindset at this stage of live then I did when I was a teenager.

I would add that you require him to start out on a dirt bike, with all safety gear. My youngest did and he proved to be a great rider, even when under the influence. Falling on dirt or grass a gooood learning tool.

In addition to the training courses, I would require a period when he rides with you only. If you want to be sure you can be in touch get one of those gizmoes for the helmets that let you talk to each other.

Since you've ridden so long, and you ARE his hero, I doubt that 'no' will even start to work. CHallenge him to the positive side, too, that is the two of you riding together. Set a goal of no downs for him to achieve BEFORE he rides someone else on his bike. As well, one report of son without a helmet, ... and the bike is locked for X period of time. Of course I am hoping you are a helmet guy.

I have some of my greatest memories here riding with my two sons, the older one on his Suzkie, and the younger one by 2 years on his Yamaha Seca 750, ... in the Rockies, and on some long trips together. We also rode to Virgiinia Beach, too, when I served in Blacksburg, VA.

SO I wish you well dealing with a task that I hope is more challenging that it is difficult.

Thanks for the post; gets all of us thinking!

JackZ

I have two daughters, no sons. The girls are now mature adults (born in 68 and 72) with two kids each. I thought long and hard about whether I would I encourage or discourage them and in the end, I helped each buy and learn to ride their own street bikes (Honda 250's) as soon as they turned 16. Despite being more aware of the dangers than most parents, my logic was how, as a good parent, could I prevent them from experiencing what meant so much to me when I was a teenager and had my own motorcycle (thanks to my father). I did try to teach them to ride defensively but the truth is, I worried every time one of my daughters left home on her bike. Neither had any accidents and both daughters now value that experience, as I did. In fact, this summer, we plan on buying some good helmets so that I can take my older grandsons for their first rides with their Papa. My daughters are excited about this because of their own good memories.

I bought mine a Yamaha Mini-Enduro when he was 7. He crashed and burned his leg and didn't ride it as much. We had a go cart to and when there were friends over he would get on it and ride around the yard while they rode the go cart. When he turned 16 I asked him if he wanted to get his motorcycle license.He said no. He has occasionally expressed a desire to get a sport bike but never has. He is married to a Chinese girl and has talked about moving to China and riding. He has been to China and talked about how crazy the traffic is there. I took him to a empty parking lot with the DR and let him refresh himself on riding but I also told him how dangerous it is even here in the states. I love riding and have taught a lot of people to ride including my sisters through the years but at this point I am kind of glad that he never got into it. I would enjoy going on rides with him if he got into it.

My Dad rode, an old Henderson or something similar I'm not real sure. My older brother belonged to somewhat of a wild group in the late 40's and early W's. The middle brother had a Harley about the same time. I don't know about my dad but the brothers both crashed at some time or the other.

I had a mini bike that I must have put 10,000 LOL miles on and been riding almost non stop every since.

My three kids have had mini bikes, dirt bikes and when they got old enough they had some real crazy crotch rockets that I wasn't real happy about but at one time the boys both had real fast bikes and the son in law had a crotch rocket. If I worried about these kids I would be in a 10 by 10 somewhere.

The Daughter is 40--no bikes-- the older boy is 38---no bike-- but the baby 33 tomorrow still rides with his dad from time to time on a 1100 shadow.

They had a few wrecks along the way but every thing is fine. I think it's harder to ride with the kids then to let them ride off by themselves. LOL.

My grandson is 7 and I don't know if his mother(my daughter) is going to let me buy him a bike when the time comes but we'll see.

BOO

Got my son a yamaha 80 when he was 8yrs old, and a 550 maxim when he was 17, we took a week long trip after his graduation it was a great ride, one I will never forget. He is 40 now and has a beautiful custom fatboy, he never crashed on the street, wish I could say the same. Cant imagine telling him what he can or cant do. :080402gudl_prv: Craig

well, i can't speak for your situation, because it is unique to you, but if i were in your shoes, i'm with what others have said, if he wants a bike, get a smaller reasonably starter bike (ninja 250 is popular, and looks cool, but doesn't have too much power) and make a deal with him, he can ride, IF he takes the basic , Experienced, and advanced MSF courses. if he does well there, he will do well on the road, provided he understands his life is really at stake.

i taught all four of our kid's on my old kz550. son was way to shaky and his wife say's NO. oldest daughter said she will ride, but hasn't bought one yet.middle daughter and son in law ride after i taught them.have gone on a few rides with them but thier sport bikes are not as comfy for the long rides. youngest daughter loves to go for rides, but don't think she will ever ride on her own.

Yes, both can get bikes if they want to. I will a nervous wreck all the time but hopefully Marilyn and I have taught them to ride safely. I know I constantly talk to my son when we are riding and I explain differant scenarios and what to expect each time.

My Dad said never so I managed to trade for a trail bike and rebuilt it out in the woods where I kept it hid. I also snuck out at night and drove a hobby car at the local dirt track. Started building choppers just out of school until I hit a deer at 80 and woke up two weeks later. I stayed away from the street but raced Enduro and moto for awhile. I got a Yammir 850 special and went back to the street. When my son decided to ride street, I traded hime the 850. He decided a sportster was cooler and got rid of the 850. I was riding a classic 1100 and he would not ride with me in case one of the HD people saw us. There was no need to say no, he would ride anyway. My youngest daughter would ride everywhere I went. She was ready to ride anytime. When she turned 16 she did not want a car, she wanted a bike. I made her take the riders training and ace it before I would get her one. She rode a 125 until I felt comfortable enough to let her ride a honda spirit 750. She got a car when she left for college but when she comes home to visit, she always brings the helmet. It is on display in her dorm room. The son gave up the HD as he could not afford the upkeep and does not street ride now. Just get him in the training class and he will make the right decision.

:322:

Just think of how much pleasure riding a motorcycle brings to you. Why would you want to deprive him of that same feeling? I say that if you don't think he's ready, but he wants to ride, then take the time to help him through it until he IS ready.

My sons have always ridden. Oldest has my old GS 850L. It's a great feeling when 3 generations go riding together.(My dad, me, and my son). It is a family love that we have for riding. I would never deny my kids or grandkids that joy.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

WE encourage the kids to ride but after a few years of driving a car.

Naugh-T and I both are the only ones in our Family that ride. I am sure most of our families are not fussy on us riding but I know a few of them pay more attention to bikes while they are driving.

My mother hates bikes but she stops and talks to anyone on a motorcycle now. Concerns me a little. :innocent: She went for a very little ride and screamed in my ears, but Rhondas mother and my dad enjoyed the ride.

Brad

In my mind a motorcycle is somewhat like a gun. You can't teach gun safety by putting blinders on your kids, and wrapping them in a cloak of ignorance. Sooner or later they will be exposed to one, and the proper knowledge of safe and proper handling is their best protection. They say you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Well the reverse is also true, Keeping a horse away from water does not stop him from getting thirsty.

This is a hard question with no easy answers.

I have two girls and a boy, currently 18, 15, and 12 respectively.

Ridding has always been available here, as I still had my 100 enduro and my 250 yamaha exciter (I got my licence on this bike when I was 16).

I find it interesting that the oldest daughter didn't care for dirt bike but wanted the 250 street bike. She did wear ruts in the pasture and lake bottom on the dirt bike before she was allowed to ride the 250 as it was part of my program.

Last year she rode on a learners permit and will be trying for her licence this spring.

As far as the boy, It would appear that the grass in the pasture doesn't stand a chance.

My 15 year old daughter (who jumps at the chance to ride with me) has no interest in riding a bike by herself... but loves her horse. FWIW recreational horse ridding is waaay more dangerous than motorcycling.

ATGATT applies to both horse and bike, Without exception, for both kids and parents.

So I allow them to ride whatever their passion is, make it as safe as possible, worry like heck and pray for the best.

As far as the right answer goes... if I had all the answers I wouldn't have to work for a living!

Scotty

The only member of our family that doesn't ride their own bike is my eldest daughter...but she wants to learn.(she's kinda busy raising 3 very young grandkids) Between my son, my middle daughter, & myself, we have 12 bikes in the garages, and in the driveway under cover.

My son (the youngest) at 19 just bought his 3rd bike. It's a R-6, and he's an awesome rider. He has a ton of long distance miles already, and now his middle sister recently bought her first bike...(I'm so proud! :sun: )

I've found they're gonna do what they're gonna do. My father rode, mom too (Motor Maid). I was taught on a dirt track at 7yrs old on a HD 165...I'm now 66. Taught my son on a dirt track, he's now 31..I guess it's in the DNA. None of us have ever crashed. We believe everyone is out to kill us and ride accordingly. We don't do stupid, drink or exceed the speed limit (well not too much!). I didn't encourage/discourage him, I just laid out the rules early, if he was gonna ride, he was gonna learn. With that, RESPECT!. I told him as soon as thought he was in control, the bike would let him know he wasn't. So far, so good.

Renne,,,,,,,,,,