IGNORED

Garage Heater

spotsy

Does anyone use an electric heater to keep the chill off their garage when you want to work? Just curious what some of you may use.

I used a propane heater several times last year however I didn't really care for the odor of the propane burning mixing with the other chemicals in the garage.

Thanks.

Spotsy

I have a 24 x 24 foot garage. 2x4 construction. R12 in the walls and R 20 in the ceiling. I heat with a 4800 watt construction heater no problem. I usually just leave it on the lowest setting and turn it up a bit when I want to work out there. I wired the fan to run all the time and the element with the thermostat. It is more than enough to heat the garage, even at -10f.

Paul :)

I have (had) a 20 x 20 x 8 ft shop insulated with 3" of foam all the way around. Had no problem heating it with a 90,000 btu agricultural heater. had the place warm as toast in about 2 minutes flat.

I now have a 25 x 30 x 9 ft shop, R20 in the walls and R40 in the ceiling, with a 45,000 btu natural gas heater. We'll find out I guess, if I'm going to be hot stuff this winter or not.

I have a 20 x 30 garage with insulation and I use a 18,000 btu kerosene heater and it keeps it comfortable. I have about 10 ft ceilings and I light the heater an hour or so before I want to work in the garage in the coldest months.

DT

I have used a kerosene heater for my garage in the past. I have tossed it in the trash in favor of a small fuel oil space heater. I had a big problem when I used some contact adhesive to apply a laminate to a table top. The solvent fumes passed over the open flame of the heater and generated acid fumes that rusted everything in the shop. I really prefer a heater that exhaust to the outside. Any kind of solvent fumes that pass through the flame and right back into the work space will at least make for a nasty, irritable smell.

Joe

Had a kerosene torpedo heater but it stunk up the entire house so last year before the bottom fell out I had bought a 15000 BTU natural gas wall heater (ventless) I only use it if I need to work outside but it makes it nice out there. I insulated the garage door with one inch foam since it was just a steel door. On the someday list is to insulate the walls cause there freezing to the touch even after its warm out there.It is an attached two car garage. I went this route so all I have to do is turn it on no propane or gas to go buy first.

My shop is in my basement. I just go downstairs from the main level of the house and go to work. Summer or winter same temp as house.(until you open the garage door)

To really show how lucky - tv, radio, cd player, frig with cold drinks, coffee pot, bathroom w/ shower, utility sink (hot and cold water), full set of tools from screwdriver to wielder.

Yes, I'm very lucky - even great friend with knowledge about the bike to call on (RandyA)

Now if I just had some "extra" cash!

Steve

I have a 1 stall garage with a Hot-Dawg 45,000 natural gas hanging heater with a thermostat.:moon: Insulated all the way around and roof, insulated steel garage door with foam I glued on to it. Set it and for get it. It gets warm in no time flat and stays that way for a long time before it starts up again. Natural gas is the only way to fly.

I bought it off of Craig's List, it was a good buy. Came with heater and double wall chimney. It has a power exhaust built in so I ran it right out the side of the back of the garage (past the eves) and fired it right up.

Snug as a bug in a rug as they used to say back in the day! :missingtooth:

Bubber

I wish I had a garage.

My scoot has to live in an 8 X 10 steel garden shed with all of the garden tools. That is also where I get to work on it.

Back when I was into stock car racing and rented a garage, I heated it with a 250,000btu kero torpedo heater, the heater did not have to run very long to heat the 24 x 24 garage up. I had it rigged with a thermostat and kept the overhead door propped open with a chunk of 2x4 for ventilation. You are right though that it gets really nasty when solvents go thru the burner. I now have a tiny 30,000btu propane heater that I use to keep me warm outdoors. It did a good job of warming up my buddies garage when we had to thaw out some deer before we could butcher them.

Thanks to all that responded. I'll probably just do electric to stay away from the fumes. There are just so many of those out there to choose from. I looked at Lowe's and they must of had 20 different electric heaters. Thanks.

Spotsy