IGNORED

Unbelievable...Lost key... Any Ideas

Guest Nevada Max

Guest Nevada Max

The stars must have been crossed yesterday. Lost my 05 RSTD key in the sand. Found out my son put the spare key in the locked saddle bag by accident. Had to leave the bike over night in the parking lot. Any suggestion on what can be done.

Can the Yamaha dealer cut a new key with vin number. They do not open until 10 PST. Is there a parts number for the blank. Locksmiths at Lake Tahoe want $150 for a mobile but may not have Yamaha keys:fiddle:

Thanks

Nevada Max

I'm not sure the Yamaha dealer can do anything with the VIN - I know there is a code attached the ring with the spare key that they can use, but that won't help you much unless you wrote it down where you can get to it!

The only thing I can suggest other than a locksmith is to try and twist the saddlebag to flex the lid. I had a tire gauge jam in one of the locks once so the button would not work, but with lots of grunting and prying (just fingertips under the lid edge) while twisting the bag I eventually got the latch to pop open. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Oh, any competent locksmith should be able to open the bag by picking the lock - it is not that hard to do.

The stars must have been crossed yesterday. Lost my 05 RSTD key in the sand. Found out my son put the spare key in the locked saddle bag by accident. Had to leave the bike over night in the parking lot. Any suggestion on what can be done.

Can the Yamaha dealer cut a new key with vin number. They do not open until 10 PST. Is there a parts number for the blank. Locksmiths at Lake Tahoe want $150 for a mobile but may not have Yamaha keys:fiddle:

Thanks

Nevada Max

Wow!! I don't ever want to be in that situation.... I know on the 1stGens Yamaha put the key code on the back side of the ignition switch housing. I'm not sure how easy...or hard it would be to get to it on a 2ndGen.. if it's even there... but it might be worth a shot. A mirror maybe?? You might have to call that lock-smith.... :(

Isn't there a thread that shows how to bypass the ignition switch. Doing that would at least let you drive the bike to the locksmith (and provide protection should the ignition fail in the future) where they could pick the saddlebag lock or ???

Dave

Guest seuadr
Isn't there a thread that shows how to bypass the ignition switch. Doing that would at least let you drive the bike to the locksmith (and provide protection should the ignition fail in the future) where they could pick the saddlebag lock or ???

Dave

i'll admit i know nothing about the second gens, but if you can access the starter, couldn't you just cross the poles? assuming of course, you don't have the forks locked. Still, you could do really cool circles? :p

I had a couple of spares made and tucked one of them away on the bike just in case!

Keith

DITTO. Been on site since 2008 Summer and Fall 2008 bought bike and got the idea from this site to HIDE A KEY on the bike. I got the bike home and HIDE my spare key when bike was less than 8 hours old too me.

Almost needed it one day...

Recommended way to save some $$$

coat hanger and a magnet... go fishing in your side bag.

Your son knows where he placed the key at in the side bag, and hopefully you can fish it out by prying up "carefully" on the rear of the bag and pushing a coat hanger inside with a magnet taped to the end of it..

I was able to get a broom handle inside of a side bag one time so I know you have room for a coat hanger.........:whistling:

Do you know anyone with a metal detector? I've found bolts that have fallen off of my hayrake in the windrow of hay before. You would be suprised how easy it is to find lost items if you know the general vinicity that you have lost something in. :2cents::D

Max,

the key code is located on the backside of the chrome cover on your gas cap, you can get the code with a mirror if you swivel the cover open and can read the numbers backwards.

all yamaha's with the same style cap are this way.

good luck. mike

Max,

the key code is located on the backside of the chrome cover on your gas cap, you can get the code with a mirror if you swivel the cover open and can read the numbers backwards.

good luck. mike

Wow, really? I have never heard this. Need to go home for lunch and look (I will also check the screws for looseness).

Thanks for this interesting piece of information.

RR

Max,

good luck. mike

I found that to not be true on my Venture...

On my Roadstar, the number on the back of the cap is the same as the keycode. However, with my venture, the numbers don't match...

Guest Nevada Max

Resolved. Many hearty thanks for great ideas to bypass this issue. I called my mechanic that makes "Click and Clack" seems like boys scouts. He turned me onto a lady that is certified by the state to "pick" locks. Drove up to Lake Tahoe pushed the Royal Star into the trailer and within 45 minutes down the hill and over to the locksmith, she had the luggage lock open, spare key located and dups made all for $20. I am going to screw one onto the license plate keep one in my wallet.

Duck a tough one so its time to ride again

Nevada Max

Guest seuadr
I am going to screw one onto the license plate keep one in my wallet.

hey that's not a bad idea, as long as it's on the backside! :D

Max,

good luck. mike

I was also told that and I checked and there is a number under the lid. One is stamped and one is ink. I have never tried to have a key made using those numbers though. I keep a spare flat key in my wallet that I had made at Ace hardware. :cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis

Old/trucker/biker habit:

Carry spare keys of all your vehicles on a carabiner keyring hooked to your belt loop. Handy!