IGNORED

When do you change tires?

Mariner Fan

I have 9500 miles on the bike and the tires look really good. I've shown it to a couple of other guys and they think they have a lot of miles left on them.

I keep wondering when I should change them out. Don't want to have one blow out on me while riding down the road. Yea, they are the Dunlop 404's.

Think I might go ahead and replace the rear just because. A few guys have said that when they get close, they wear out alot faster than you think so keep an eye on them.

I have about 12k on a set of avons, I just had the bike up on the lift changing fluids and checking over everything, incl tires, I still have about 1/4" tread in the center, so I think they are good for a couple thousand miles. I never run em to the cords. Craig

It seems hard to predict when it's time to change tires, mileage along won't do it.

I have run the same brand and model tire's and they will get several thousand miles difference.

Just watch the wear, the main thing is your comfort level. I run mine down pretty slick and sometime the slick turns into white cord. I can also run a tire with a plug in it, some can't.

So I say whatever your comfort level can handle that would be the time to change tires.

BOO

If the wear indicators are at the same level as the rest of the tread...it's time.

You need to check the date codes, and see how old the tires are too, no matter how good they look. I just bought my bike, and the tires had lots of tread, but they were over 10 years old! Got new E3s now.:happy34:

Wow. I got about 7000 on the rear Avon that was on the bike when I got it. I rode it pretty aggressively. I replaced it with a Metzeler ME880 and took it much easier and got only just over 6000. I was told by the dealer that it would last much longer. I put a match on the front later. I don't like the way they feel either. Going back to Avons.

If you are worried about it and have the money then replace them if nothing else for your peace of mind Bob. I did that with my other bike they told me I should be able to get more out of it but I didnt want a blow out because I waited and have to worry about it while I rode it.

You'll find that tires are all different and you can get more miles out of certain brand/type vs others........along with driving style. I never worry about mileage but I don't run them until cords show either. I have 2 things that I look at to decide when to change a tire and mileage isn't one of them. If I have about 1/16" tread depth left in the center of the tire, I change it or if I see any signs of dry rot. The tread depth thing is not cut in stone....if I am planning a very long trip..say 2000 mile trip and the tread is getting low, I'll go ahead and change it anyway.

I always change when I'm approaching the 1mm legal limit (in the UK). With the sidecar I don't see a real difference in tread regardless of the depth of tread, but no tread at all in the wet realy does not help braking.

On a heavy duty tyre I get 4,000 miles on the back, but that's with a big sidecar, often with a trailer tent.

Tire depth gauge...where to get....Sears?

They probably don't have any.

I got mine at my local NAPA but they had to order it.... they don't sell many.

Search the Internet.

IIRC Harbor Freight carries a digital one for $5, if there is a store near you.

If you are worried about it and have the money then replace them if nothing else for your peace of mind Bob. I did that with my other bike they told me I should be able to get more out of it but I didnt want a blow out because I waited and have to worry about it while I rode it.

That's what I did Kevin. Went ahead and got a Dunlop E3 for the rear. I'm sure that the stock tire had many more miles left but it feels good not worrying about it anymore.

Thanks for the input guys.

Pretty much start thinking about it when it's down to the wear bars! You can also tell by how the bike handles as when the rear is pretty worn out they are no longer domed but more flat like a car tire. The back end seems to fight you just a bit on the twisties...