IGNORED

V7goose and brother ride around the texas border, read this

5bikes

They make it to El Paso on Sunday. Monday it takes all morning to find a rear tire. In the afernoon we tour El Paso area. From Sacramento we get a new tire overnighted. None in El Paso.

Then today Tuesday, what a day! The overnighted tire was coming in UPS, but we had to go search down the driver to get it. Got it mounted by 2:30 pm and we were on the road. Kent and Tom (brothers) still wanted to take the border route out of El Paso. About 3:45 on a very rural road 60 miles from El Paso the brand new rear Dunlop Elite 3 blew out on Tom's 07 Venture. Bike and trailer does 2 swerves then into the ditch avoiding a sign post and electric pole. Kent and I (Chuck) turned around, had to go back 1/2 mile to Tom. Tom had jumped off at the very last second to avoid a guy wire angling down from the electric pole.

Bike split the 1" wire! It is totaled, tank and crash bars are badly bent. Wrecker made it worse, but who cares? We called for a wrecker but the EMS, County Sheriff, 2 border patrols, a few passing cars, and state police show up slowly. 3 hours later the wrecker has the bike out of the ditch.

Tom is scratched up on on his hands the worst. badly sore all over. Family called. Glad we could help. Several good fortunes, going slow, soft dirt, jumping off, good help, strong bike, Kent & I can help Tom, and much more.

We all returned back to El Paso by 7:30 pm. More later.

Chuck did a great job of explaining what happened. I cannot explain what caused the catastrophic failure of that tire, but we know that this has not yet been reported on Dunlop E IIIs. Not only did we carefully check the pressure when we mounted the tire (40 PSI max sidewall), but we re-checked it about two hours later with a digital gauge before we headed out. Sorry no pictures yet - I have plenty, but just not fealing like uploading them just yet. The road was clear, Tom was behind me, no road hazards that I saw, tire blew in a straight stretch leading into a long sweeper. Tom did a fantastic job of piloting the bike between killer obsticals, and it is amazing we have nothing worse than a totaled bike from this.

We will deal with insurance tomorrow and decide what happens next. We really apprciate the thoughts and wonderful help from the great members we have met here in El Paso.

Goose

We hate hearing motorcycle crashes, most of all when its a family member. Goose glad to hear Tom was able to walk away from this ordeal,but we hate to see him loose his ride as well . You know we are here if you need us!!!!. God Speed Goose..

Let us know how things turn out. Most of all Goose keep an eye on Tom the next few days just to make sure his OK. Never Mind I forgot his your brother his ornery just like you....:innocent:

Take care

Buddy

I really dont enjoy reading posts like this.

Its like my adreniline immediately beings to run as I quickly try to read the post wondering if the rider(s) are OK or not.

I like skip line after line as my eyes are scanning it so fast and cant wait to find the part where it tells how he,she,they are.

In this case, :thumbsup2: Im very happy with the ending. Happy Tom is ok and that he is fine, and that everyone else is fine.

As I read posts like this, I really dont give a thought about the persons bike until after I know how the people involved turned out.

Once I discover how they are, then my thoughts turn to the bike and I find myself trying to picture all the damage that occurred to it. Then my heart and thoughts go back to the person(s) involved and I get this deep strong sad feeling knowing at that moment I am sharing the same feeling they are having and truely understand the loss of something they had so much pride in.

Happy it all turned out ok guys..sorry about the hassles you had along the way, but this news could have been a lot worse by the sounds of it.

I am really sorry to find out about this. I am so glad that everybody is OK. We all know that there are risks associated with riding a motorcycle and we accept those risks but it sure doesn't make it any easier when we hear of such things happening. As we always say, the bike can be replaced but tom can't so in that regard, we will have to call this a good outcome to a bad situation. Let Tom know that we will keep him and you in our prayers and give thanks that he was able to walk away from it.

I sure don't like to read such Story. But when reading the Rider(s) are OK, i feel better. Metal/Plastic can be repaired or replaced, Humans not.

I hope the Wunds heal quick and for the Rest, well Goose is tripple Adress all by himself, i'm sure he will make all taken care of.

Best Regards from Stuttgart, Germany

Guest tx2sturgis
I'm sure glad Tom could walk away from this one. How old was the tire? I know you are careful about the age of tires, so I can't imagine it was very old.

You are both in my thoughts.

Dave

Go read the post again. The tire was brand new. I can say this cuz I got griped at for not reading stuff carefully.

Go read the post again. The tire was brand new. I can say this cuz I got griped at for not reading stuff carefully.

Just because the tire was just delivered doesn't mean it was new? It could have been manufactured years ago for all I know. Kent was the one who showed me how do decode the manufacturing date when he "helped" me change my tire.

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis
Just because the tire was just delivered doesn't mean it was new? It could have been manufactured years ago for all I know. Kent was the one who showed me how do decode the manufacturing date when he "helped" me change my tire.

Dave

OH! I thought you were asking how long it had been on the bike....my mistake and I apologize.

:bowdown:

I assumed also that since the tire was overnited and it was an E3 ( which are ALL new tires?) that it was just recently removed from the mold...but I could be wrong.

Hey all, thanx for all the thoughts and wishes. Things are getting back together for us. 5bikes and his gracious wife have done everything they possibly could to help us and make us welcome and comfortable. We finally got out of their hair today and into a hotel! Insurance (Progressive) totaled the bike today - not too much surprise there:

[ATTACH]27401[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27402[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]27403[/ATTACH]

Waiting on final settlement from insurance tomorrow.

The tire was made in the 38th week of 2008. Here is what the blowout looks like:

[ATTACH]27404[/ATTACH]

Tom has already closed a deal on a new 2009 Venture S - we pick it up tomorrow. Hope to be back on the road by Friday!

Goose

We are all very tired today. The drop off from being on adrenaline, the waiting, dehydration:scorched:, could not sleep thinking about how it could have been worse and what we could have done to prevent this.

Tom is better today but still sore all over. Small open battle scars starting to heal.

Anyways insurance totaled the bike, sending a check to Tom's Georgia home. Hoping bike get's picked up soon. Took a few accessories off today. Putting Kent's back to original. Lots of waiting today.

But the good news! Tom called Santa Teresa (NM) Motorsports asked and got a good deal on a new 08? 09? :mo money:Gray and black very nice colors. :happy34:

We asked them to stay with us another day , but insurance :bowdown:said they would pay so they are in a motel 5 miles from our house. Motel is on the way to pick up the new bike tomorrow.

Who would have thought they would be stuck here 5 days. :yikes: Tom today is too sore to drive a bike. Hopefully Friday he will be ok.

Had a very good dinner at Texas Road House, they are resting comfortably.

Very "glad" to help and God was watching over them :2132:

Chuck and Linda El Paso Tx

If you ever come visit us expect a few delays....

Edited by 5bikes
Grammer