IGNORED

1st or 2nd gen?????

ken

I guess this question would best be answered by members who have or have had both 1st gen and 2nd gen scoots.

Back in Dec I sold my HD ultra to save some cash and go back to a RSV. Lately I’ve seen several 1st gen for sale with fairly low miles on different sites on the web. This got me thinking about parking a 1st gen in my garage. So can someone tell me what some of the major differences are between 1st and 2nd gen’s? Is there a better year to look for in the 1st gen?:confused24:

Ken,

I have had 3 of both gens, an '84 two '86's two '99's and now an '08. It all depends upon what you feel comfortable with and your money situation. The 2nd gen to me is the bike for 2 up touring as there is plenty of space to stretch your legs out on it, both for the driver and passenger. The 1st gen is more set up like a wing in the fat that your feet are positioned underneath you, the G2 feet forward.

I tried to go back to a 1st gen last year after an accident totalled our '99. It was very hard for me to get used to the riding position again, and my wife was not happy with the rear seat after being on a G2 for so long. As far as the best years to buy for a 1st gen, '86 and up in my opinion as the 1200 cc engines had problems with 2nd gear at about the 45K mileage mark. The very late '80's up to '93 when they quit making them were probably the most updated and would be the best bet as far as that aspect.

Ride one and see how it feels, you will get many folks chiming in on this one so just sit back and watch the fun :)

Some here may have a opinion on that. I have never ridden a 2nd Gen. So it would not be fair for me to comment on this one.

Someone hear a thud??? I think Squid just fell out of his chair!!:innocent:

Huh :doh: Lisen Yourself Yammer No Comment about second gen. :rotf::rotf: Must be this cold vawe is taking toll on ya :sick: :rotf::rotf:

I mostly agree with Squidley.

I've had both as well as the 1200, 1300 first gen and the 01 I ride now.

I have put several thousand miles on all these bikes and I like both for different reasons.

I like the 2nd gen because it is more comfortable for me to ride, my wife liked the seat on the 1st gen bikes. The 1st gens are mostly faster bikes and the sitting position is more like the sport touring bikes. I also like the first gens for running through the corners.

The 86 and up to 93 years had better and bigger bags, on board air compressors etc.

Dollar for the dollar the 1st gens are the better buy if you like that style of bike.

I've never owned a venture I didn't like. 1984, 1986, 1989, 2001.

Good luck,

Jerry

I agree with Boo on what he says about the 1st Gen, working on mine now to get in back together as soon as its painted, I really miss that ride............

The 1st gens are mostly faster bikes and the sitting position is more like the sport touring bikes. I also like the first gens for running through the corners.

The 86 and up to 93 years had better and bigger bags, on board air compressors etc.

Dollar for the dollar the 1st gens are the better buy if you like that style of bike.

I've never owned a venture I didn't like. 1984, 1986, 1989, 2001.

Good luck,

Jerry

Ken, I bought a 1988 Royale this past summer to replace my aging Suzuki 1100GK. Rode the train to Maine to pick it up, then rode it back home to Maryland, taking a couple of days to get acquainted with this great bike. I always liked the 1st-gen Venture, its looks, and its function; several friends of mine rode Ventures in the 80's and 90's and they enjoyed them very much.

I don't care about the Harley-esque look of the 2nd generation Venture; however, it's my preference. I don't like Harleys, and the 1st-gen Venture is one of the least Harley-esque looking bike there is. To each his own.

I paid the owner $3,000 for this bike, a reasonable price for a bike that was in fair to good condition. This fall I took it to my favorite independent mechanic, who replaced the exhaust collector, replaced all fluids, (including brakes and clutch), installed new plugs and plug caps, and checked valve clearance, replacing a couple of shims.

He also did a complete R & R on the carbs, replacing all four floats and slides, in addition to most gaskets and o-rings, and the vacuum line.

Total bill was about $2,600. It now runs perfectly, whereas before the major work it sounded as if it was running on three cylinders. I now look forward to many years of good service from this magnificent Venture Royale.

My point is that a first generation Venture is a good buy, and should make an excellent replacement bike for you; however, keep in mind the last 1st gen Venture came out in 1993, sixteen model years ago. My VR is already 21 years old. Those carb and exhaust parts were worn out.

If you're contemplating buying a 1st-gen Venture, then you should be prepared to invest some $$ on it to make it run right, or do the work yourself.

Best wishes to you. I'm happy with the choice I made, even if my wallet is noticeably thinner at present.

By the way, I noticed you're in Defiance, Ohio. I graduated from Antwerp High School in 1965, while my mother was a professor at The Defiance College at the time. I know your area well.

Edited by Ndiaz

My '85 had the on-board air compressor and having owned both an '85 and an '87, I prefer the '85. It was faster and more stable at higher speed than the '87 and because the bags were removable, was a big plus. The main thing to watch for on pre-86 is that second gear has been fixed....even if it's a low miler.

I would look at the riding position of both bikes. On the early Ventures you are in a neutral to forward position. This can cramp your legs a bit if you are long-legged. Also tips your hips a bit different. On the 2nd Gens you are seated cruiser style. The floorboards are sett correctly for heel-toe shifting and you can stretch out.

JB

I have owned an 84 and now a 2000. The 2000 is much cooler looking. I usually ride one up so room is not an issue for me. I live in the mountains, the 1st gen is much better in corners ... less peg dragging.

I guess, for my type of riding, if Yamaha made an updated 1st gen I would purchase one of these over the 2nd.

Ive not ridden a RSV but i have put many miles on my old 1100 star and brothers roadstar. and yes you can streach out. but I also had time i would like to have shifted my butt in the seat and you cant take any weight off with your feet out in front of you like I can with my feet under me on my 84. and where before my tailbone would get sore i one position my feet under me can take alot of the preasure off it so for me long distance I like me riding position now.:thumbsup2:

Oh ya and 1st gen 1200s are faster specially Blue ones :D

Ive not ridden a RSV but i have put many miles on my old 1100 star and brothers roadstar. and yes you can streach out. but I also had time i would like to have shifted my butt in the seat and you cant take any weight off with your feet out in front of you like I can with my feet under me on my 84. and where before my tailbone would get sore i one position my feet under me can take alot of the preasure off it so for me long distance I like me riding position now.:thumbsup2:

Oh ya and 1st gen 1200s are faster specially Blue ones :D

GIVE THAT MAN A CEEEGAR!!

I have had a number of bikes with forward controls and I do like having my feet forward --- at times that is.. I understand marketing and the like BUT the idea of having a bike that I will ride distance on and having a bike that I cant stand up on just doesnt make sense to me.. I ride my Venture standing up ALOT,,,,,, and then some..

Also,, as mentioned earlier, there is nothing like ripping up the twisties on Touring bike with a V-Max motor in it....

If you find a decent good condx later 1st Gen, 88 to 93, with lets say about 50K on it.

If we assume it was just ridden and had normal service. I would say figure about 1200 to 1500 worth of parts, to put it into tip top shape, and install most of the Mods that we all consider indespeceable.

This assumeing you do the work yourself.

I like the sit up position, I do not like forward foot controls.

I love chaseing Sport Bikes on the Back roads. It drives them crazy when a Tank is following them, ( close ) and they can't get away !!! he he he :stirthepot:

What type of riding have you usually done. If your coming off a Harley then the asssumption isthat much of your writing is touring and cruising. That would make the second gen the your prime choice. If you did any sport or sport touring earlier then the

1st Gen will be more to your liking.

It is more a touring sport bike in the line of BMW's where as Yamaha definitely pursued the harley form with the 2nd gen,. with more power and lower cost. My choice was always the 1st gen, for the above stated reasons. Also I too like the foot position undernreath me. good luck with your hunting.

They're both good bikes. I think the first gen is a bit faster, a little more nimble perhaps but with my long legs I prefer the comfort of a second gen. I needed the addition of a back rest on the 1st gen and hiway pegs to stretch the legs. The 1st gen may be slightly more top heavy it feels like a higher center of gravity. With the seating position being more upright. To me I feel like I'm sitting ON a 1st gen and IN a 2nd.........Don

They're both good bikes. I think the first gen is a bit faster, a little more nimble perhaps but with my long legs I prefer the comfort of a second gen. I needed the addition of a back rest on the 1st gen and hiway pegs to stretch the legs. The 1st gen may be slightly more top heavy it feels like a higher center of gravity. With the seating position being more upright. To me I feel like I'm sitting ON a 1st gen and IN a 2nd.........Don

I agree totally with this. I have a 90 and an 06. My knees didn't like the feet under position for long distance. We liked the 90, we love the 06. It's a matter of personal choice and what kind of riding you do. I don't do a lot of 1 up riding, almost all 2 up, mama likes to ride too.

Some here may have a opinion on that. I have never ridden a 2nd Gen. So it would not be fair for me to comment on this one.

Someone hear a thud??? I think Squid just fell out of his chair!!:innocent:

What !!!! i cant believe what im reading you have no opion ? not even a "look for a faded blue one"

im so disapointed sinsay

grasshopper

Ken, I bought a 1988 Royale this past summer to replace my aging Suzuki 1100GK. Rode the train to Maine to pick it up, then rode it back home to Maryland, taking a couple of days to get acquainted with this great bike. I always liked the 1st-gen Venture, its looks, and its function; several friends of mine rode Ventures in the 80's and 90's and they enjoyed them very much.

I don't care about the Harley-esque look of the 2nd generation Venture; however, it's my preference. I don't like Harleys, and the 1st-gen Venture is one of the least Harley-esque looking bike there is. To each his own.

I paid the owner $3,000 for this bike, a reasonable price for a bike that was in fair to good condition. This fall I took it to my favorite independent mechanic, who replaced the exhaust collector, replaced all fluids, (including brakes and clutch), installed new plugs and plug caps, and checked valve clearance, replacing a couple of shims.

He also did a complete R & R on the carbs, replacing all four floats and slides, in addition to most gaskets and o-rings, and the vacuum line.

Total bill was about $2,600. It now runs perfectly, whereas before the major work it sounded as if it was running on three cylinders. I now look forward to many years of good service from this magnificent Venture Royale.

My point is that a first generation Venture is a good buy, and should make an excellent replacement bike for you; however, keep in mind the last 1st gen Venture came out in 1993, sixteen model years ago. My VR is already 21 years old. Those carb and exhaust parts were worn out.

If you're contemplating buying a 1st-gen Venture, then you should be prepared to invest some $$ on it to make it run right, or do the work yourself.

Best wishes to you. I'm happy with the choice I made, even if my wallet is noticeably thinner at present.

By the way, I noticed you're in Defiance, Ohio. I graduated from Antwerp High School in 1965, while my mother was a professor at The Defiance College at the time. I know your area well.

Hi NDiaz, are you the fellow that Bobby S. brought to my new garage this past summer to look at my 88 Royal, that I bought from him ? Thanks,Russ (JackOfAllTradesRuss)

I've had 1st and 2nd gens as well. For two up touring the 2nd gen wins Period. The wife calls that "her" bike. She wouldn't even ride more than a couple miles on anything I had before that including the first gens. Now she looks forward to taking trips.

It does come down to your preference though. If you like more sporty riding the 1st gens win for sure. 83-85s being the quickest, and I liked the versatility of the easily removable bags they had. They do have the 2nd gear issue though. There were a handful of 85s that had that fixed before they changed the style in 86. Do a few searches on the site and you can probably find the serial number cutoff. Finding one of those in decent shape is REALLY uncommon, but it happens. The first gens after that have more bag space and no 2nd gear problem. It's rare to find any first gen that doesn't need some tinkering to get it right, but once you do they usually stay that way with basic care. You can find them quite a bit cheaper than 2nd gens too.

If less tinkering, more comfort for distance, legroom, passenger comfort, cruiser styling are priorities go 2nd gen.

If sportiness, speed, versatility, price, straight up seating position are priorities go 1st gen.

Yes, Russ, you're correct.

I'm Nick Diaz, at your service. Bob S. and I have known each other for 20 years or so, when there was a Venture Touring Society, (I had a Suzuki then).

What I learned in your garage that day was how a Venture should sound. Now my Venture sounds like yours did that day.

I took the Venture out for a ride last Friday. Came home from work, started the VR, dressed for 45-degree weather, and went on a 30-mile ride. What a difference in sound and feel.

Anyway, let's stay in touch.

Nick

Ken, Everyone here has summed it up pretty good. They do have a classified section here on this site and members do post when they see a good deal in their local area.

Freebird is having a maintaince day June 6 (I beleive) that a friend and I are thinking of going to.

Keep in touch, I live over by Liberty Center, Ohio.

FYI McCarthy's in Defiance has always treated me well and Tim is always helpful.

Ken, Everyone here has summed it up pretty good. They do have a classified section here on this site and members do post when they see a good deal in their local area.

Freebird is having a maintaince day June 6 (I beleive) that a friend and I are thinking of going to.

Keep in touch, I live over by Liberty Center, Ohio.

FYI McCarthy's in Defiance has always treated me well and Tim is always helpful.

Hey Buz

It's good to hear from someone on the forum that's close to home!!! Some yrs ago I sold manufactured homes. I put one in Liberty Center on Mulberry St at least I think that was the street, it's got a porch on the front of it.

I sold several bike's to McCarthy's in the past, in fact Tim the owner lives in my neighborhood. I was at the shop about a month ago. He did not have any RSV on the floor,but said they would be getting two 08's in sometime in Feb which will be a little to soon for be to buy. With the economy sliding south I'll most likley try to pay cash which means if Star doesn't make any changes 2010 I'll be looking for a low mile use RSV. Been tracking them on ebay. I've watch two 07's sell for under $11,000 with low miles.

I had a 1984 (1200) with 1986 rear luggage on it. I paid 1200 for it and the thing ran like a scalded dog.

The problem was, any trips beyond 30 miles and it would kill my legs. I sold the venture last summer and I will be getting a 2nd Gen before the end of '09. I don't know what I am going to have to do to make the 2nd gen run like the first, it will probably take the installation of a ZRX1200 in my garage to give me the first gen feeling again. But, 95% of the time I just want to ride to work, 3% of the time I want to ride with my wife to go somewhere, and 2% of the time I can borrow my friend's 07 R1.

At 6' 350 it takes a pretty specific design to keep me comfortable, and I think the 2nd gen will be it.