IGNORED

What's the weirdest thing you've ever....

Iowawegian

eaten?

Had a fancy, shmancey cocktail party we had to go to last week, and they served ostrich on a tiny peice of bread with a sauteed mushroom and some sauce on it. That was a first for me. Anyway...it got me to thinking about all the strange food I've had to try in my life.

Rocky Mountain Oysters: (Tasted great till I found out what they were and promplty threw up)

Alligator: (Wasn't bad, but once was enough)

Rattlesnake: (Gave me the heeby jeebies)(Did I mention I'm scared to death of snakes?)

Buffalo: (Pretty good, but I started pawing the ground and snorting afterwards)

Venison: (The only way to eat it is if it's cooked hot and fast)

Calamari: (Tastes like a rubber tire)

Crayfish:(Had to eat it in Louisiana at a crayfish boil where you have to pull off the head and suck the brains out. A lot of ice cold Corona helped. Sorry, but you canjuns have a wierd sense of humor!)

Pickled Pigs Feet: (When I was a little girl, my dad and I used to sit at the kitchen table with a jar of it and a quart of buttermilk. I think we did it just to make my mom sick watching us eat it. Good memories.)

Sushi: (Apparently you have to aquire a taste for it. Not my cup of tea.)

Anyway, that's all I can think of now. So, what's the weirdes thing you've ever been brave enough to eat?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Balut" in Nam and the Phillipines.:thumbsup2:

A balut (Trứng vịt lộn or Hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese, Pong tea khon in Cambodian) is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are common, everyday food in some countries in Southeast Asia, such as in the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors at night in the regions where they are available. They are often served with beer. The Filipino and Malay word balut (balot) means "wrapped" – depending on pronunciation.

I tend to stay away from all that weird stuff...........

bout the strangest ive eaten is muscrat......and it was actually pretty good.....altho i was slightly drunk when i ate it...:innocent:

now as for dale, when he was overseas in the marines........im wondering if anyone else has ever had "monkey-on-a-stick" ?:smilies6:

Pickled Pig Eyes..Thought they were picked eggs but they were kinda darker and had a a definite resemblance when I really looked at it..YEP it was in WAY South Louisiana and thats when I use to drink a little..NO MORE

Pickled Pig Eyes..Thought they were picked eggs but they were kinda darker and had a a definite resemblance when I really looked at it..YEP it was in WAY South Louisiana and thats when I use to drink a little..NO MORE

Now that's just plain sick! Beats my pickled pigs feet all to heck.

Next question.....just what are grits anyway. When we were in Arkansas riding a couple of years ago...everytime we stopped at a gas station on some back road, that's what they served. Is it a meat, patato, ????

Just remembered a couple after seeing others. Froglegs & shark.

Chocolate covered ants downtown LA where the illegal Mexican immigrants used to drink and dine. One of the filthiest joint I have ever been in but the original Mexican food was to die for (not counting the ants). Don´t think that restaurant was licenced though.,,,,,,

im wondering if anyone else has ever had "monkey-on-a-stick" ?

In the late 60's we used to shoot the monkeys near the Weapons Depot located on the north end of Subic Bay Naval Base. We'd sell the monkeys to the local street Vendors and they would do their thing to put those monkeys on a stick,grill em up,and sell em back to us at night when we hit the beach. Tasty? You better believe that grilled monkey meat is tasty!! Chase it down with a ice-cold San Miguel and it don't get better than that!:happy65:

Boomer....who has been banned from all City Zoo's in North America.