IGNORED

Final Drive

I have been trying to find answers all over the net and cannot seem to find any. Is it possible to change the gear ration on a second gen RSV? I live out in Kansas and all I have is flat interstate and I feel the RSV is revving way too high at 80. It feels like it has more than enough power to spare at lower rpm. I know being a shaft drive it will be infinitely harder to change than a belt would, but I would be interested to know if anyone has done this/tried this/or thinks its impossible. Thanks

Hmmm...that seems odd to me...most of us complain that the revs are too low in 5th gear and kick it down a notch to pass....gives that extra ummph.

Some guys have actually changed the rear ends to the vmax which is smaller gearing I believe and like that alot more that the larger 5th gear.

Hi Jared,

When speaking of changing the final drive most people go in the other direction. I am currently changing the final drive in my First Gen. VR to the final drive from a 1994 Vmax which will increase the rpm's not lower them. I believe your 2001 RSV has about the "tallest" final drive gear ratio of all of the Yamaha big crusers, meaning you can go higher on the rpm's but not lower by swapping the final drive from one of the other crusers. To my knowledge, there is no aftermarket company that makes a ring and pinion gear that would give you lower rpm's. Remember, these motors like to rev so unless you want to be able to cruse at 110 mph at 2500 rpm's I think you will be ok as far as over reving the engine goes. I fully realize that this is not the answer you wanted, but unless someone else knows a trick I am not aware of, it is what it is. I will be watching this thread with interest to see if one of the "masters" has a fix for you.:confused24:

Good Luck on your quest,

Earl

I figured there probably wasn't anything to do about it. I was just trying to find a way to increase fuel economy somewhat, as it seems like my RSV has more than enough power. It just seems like any Japanese bike/truck I have had seem to rev a little higher than I would like in top gear.

A rear Tire in a bigger Diameter is the only Way to lower the Revs on your Bike. But don't expect too much Improvement on the Consumption. It's probably gonna go the other Way. Sure these V4 have a Lot of Power and Torwue even on low Revs, but you won't do the Engine any good with lugging the Engine.

Couldn't you contact a gear company and get a new 5th gear in the transmission?

Or buy a gear set for the rear end, there might be something manufactured that would fit, but IMHO it is not likely... but you could special order a single gear set.

Taller rear tire would probably be the easiest change, IF it will fit in the rear with all suspension travel. this would also change the handling of the bike due to taller tire and possibly a narrower or wider cross-section.

I too would like a taller over all gear ratio while in 5th gear, but possibly a lower ratio in 1st and 2nd, which would be a gear change inside the transmission. which = $$$$$$$

I figured there probably wasn't anything to do about it. I was just trying to find a way to increase fuel economy somewhat, as it seems like my RSV has more than enough power. It just seems like any Japanese bike/truck I have had seem to rev a little higher than I would like in top gear.

What is your mpg at this time? As mentioned before, lugging the engine will or may hurt the engine and at the same time you are actually using more gas than normal.

If your MPG, is that low, you have other problems, Nothing to do with Gear Radio. 5th gear on these bike is allready Over Drive !

Lowering Cruzing RPM on these engines is not the right thing to do. They are not Harley's !!!

Lugging these engines is the Wrong Thing to Do !!

I have a 99 RSV and even with all the in-town driving I do I get 40mpg and I'm a really big guy. The last long trip I took I got 42 so, it appears that you have an issue especially since your talking lower 30mpg. Perhaps its time to tune that puppy and check the carb sync etc.

Low 30's is low compared to my mpg. I have a sig that shows you what my mpg is and I track all that on an online database. That number is pretty much done on cold riding days. I only have less than 2K miles and the dealer stated that mpg shall improve over time and usually always when the weather gets warmer.

It can definitely be an underlying problem mechanically that needs to be addressed...maybe it is just a matter of doing all the basic maintenance such as clean or replace air filter, change plugs, put the right psi on your tires, synch carbs and adjust idle...all of those I pretty much learned from this forum with the help of fellow Venture riders.

As mentioned, fifth gear is already an overdrive, with a ratio of .786:1. If it sounds like the engine is revving too high, basically you just need to recalibrate your ear. With gears like this the engine is actually running too slow. Anything slower than 60 mph in fifth gear is lugging the engine. At 80, the engine is running just about right.

My bike is speedohealed. Above 70, this bike sucks gas fast. I usually average about 28mpg. I run 80 on the highway and most of my riding is to and from work, almost all highway. My best ever on the Venture was 37 and that was 65mph with a major tailwind.

His mileage sounds pretty consistent with flat out open highway riding.

Ouch. Man, I wish I knew how you guys get that kind of high milage at 80 mph. My milage drops at anything above 70 mph!

Just to clarify, I get my low 40 mpg running between 68 to 70 mph on my speedo. That is the speed is stay on on the interstates...sometimes faster around 75 to 80 mph on my speedo when passing. At 80 mph, the Venture seems to love that speed but I don't stay too long at that speed. A more relaxed cruise is my ultimate enjoyment. :grandpa:

As mentioned, fifth gear is already an overdrive, with a ratio of .786:1. If it sounds like the engine is revving too high, basically you just need to recalibrate your ear. With gears like this the engine is actually running too slow. Anything slower than 60 mph in fifth gear is lugging the engine. At 80, the engine is running just about right.

I pretty much shift with the sound of the engine. From 4th to 5th, I shift between 55 to 60 on the speedo.

I've logged every fill-up in my '05. My average in about 40k miles is in the low 30's. The last 8k have been with the Vmax gears and my average dropped about .1 mpg. I did get near 40 once while riding the in National Forest in western Arkansas. Slow, easy and wet ride that day.

I usually run speed limit +5 mph (real speed, not indicated speed). On the highway, that means my speedometer is reading 80+. Most of my riding is just to get where I'm going. I do slow down for pleasure riding, but that's the least of my miles.

I also don't waste time getting up to speed or when I pass someone. That's why I like the Vmax gears.

Low 30's... boring compute... still beats the cage!

I keep a close watch on my mileage and am confused:confused24:

Daily commute to work: solo, 50/50 city-hiway = 40-43 MPG

Flatland Hiway trips: 2 up, heavy trailer, 70 MPH = 35-38 MPG

Mountain trips: 2 up, heavy trailer, 60-70 MPH = 47-50 MPG

Why-oh-why does my mileage go up 10+ MPG when driving in the mountains and all other conditions remain the same?

This is not a single occurance, but has been consistant since I've owned the bike.

:240:

Why-oh-why does my mileage go up 10+ MPG when driving in the mountains and all other conditions remain the same?

This is not a single occurance, but has been consistant since I've owned the bike.

All of these numbers make sense. When riding in the mountains the engine would be working harder going up but mostly idling on the down side. I haven't pulled a trailer with my 06 yet but with my 90 I had the following:

2up, no trailer - 42-44 mpg

2up, Bushtec trailer fully loaded - 40 mpg

2up, Bunkhouse camper fully loaded - 36-38 mpg

With the 06 2up and bags fully loaded with a rack bag - 40 mpg, this was at 75-80 mph.

I would think with a proper tuneup, carb synch and tire inflation the venture should regularly get 38 - 42 mpg. Considering a VMax rearend, that would move the rpm ranges up by about 500rpm or about the same range as a 1st gen. Yes, I am considering that and a Dyna 3000 unit to increase the my max rpms.

• 4 months later...

I always get crazy high mileage in the mountains. I'm up in them hills a good bit and it always holds true for me.

Last year, my son on his 93 600 SECAII and I on my V-Max, did a 600 mile weekend totally in the Smokies. I got consistantly 56 mpg and he got like 90. I couldn't believe it. I guess it's because neither bike strains going uphill and coasts downhill. His 6 speed, chain driven bike usually gets 55 mpg locally.

On the Interstate, holding a steady 75 mph (indicated) I usually get 40 (going by my odo's indicated miles, not by GPS) on the V-Max, about the same on my Venture at that speed.

I know my Venture's speedometer is 3 mph off. Checked it many times over 47K miles. At 73 indicated, I am actually only going 70 mph. I really try to not go over 75 indicated because my mileage drops.

Did do one 1140 mile day a few years ago and averaged 37.5 mpg then. I didn't do the odo correction calc and check real life mpg.