IGNORED

No More Bike !!

rsstar

Can't remember if I posted this here already but if I did I apologize for the repeat. First weekend of September the weather was right and I was feeling pretty good since my quadruple bypass so I decided to take my first multi day ride with the new Wing. Road up to Montgomery and spent the night. Next morning I headed south on Hwy 26, a really nice road that I had driven back in the Spring with the bus. Got down to a town called Union Springs and as I was going through the main intersection of this small town a lady ran the red light and broad-sided me on the right. Luckily she wasn't going very fast; unfortunately she was going fast enough to break both my tibia and fiblia and dislocate my ankle. Needless to say my beautiful new Wing was torn up. I was taken to Montgomery for surgery,and long story short, I have been in a cast since. Doc says two more weeks, then we'll see. Me being a diabetic he's being very cautious with me.

After a long talk with the insurance company I convinced them to total the Wing. Repair estimate was $14,000. I have received my money for the bike but purchasing another is NOT in my immediate future. After two accidents in less than a year, even though neither was my fault I am calling it quits as far as riding is concerned. I've lost two beautiful machines and my body hasn't healed/been corrected completely from the first accident. This problem really scares me and I am praying that all will heal properly.

I have already replaced the bike....with a 2004 Chevy SSR. It only has a little over 15k and is absolutely immaculate. It's a convertible, which I wanted, and also a hardtop. Unfortunately I cannot drive yet and it's killing me to see it sitting in the garage. But hopefully, only 2 more weeks.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thanks to all here, especially those fine people that I have had the privelege to meet through this site. I haven't been able to attend the ride-ins and meets that I wanted to but am hoping that I can in the future. Although I am not riding now I hope you all will allow me to stay around the site. If not I understand. I still love motorcycling and would give almost anything to get on another. But I need time to heal from ALL the stuff I've had in the past year. So to all I say please ride safe. And watch out for Dodge SUVs. !!!!!!!!

I totally understand how you feel having been in accident myself twice in 35 yrs both due to cager negligence or ignorance I find myself somewhat uneasy around them. problem is I love riding too much too quit. But no need for you to be a stranger to this site we've all become friends here through the common interest of motorcycle's but last and foremost we are still friends and friends don't walk away from friends. Even a fallen soldiar is still a soldiar among his commrads:thumbsup:

Hey there RSSTAR never forget that you can still appreciate and have a passion for the 2 wheeled ride even though you no longer partake. Get well soon and enjoy the wind in your hair ON your new SSR.

Take care, stay safe and you can still keep the rubber on the road...

Michael :scubadive:

I completly understand. It took me 20 years after my wreck. i laid one down at 65mph and watched it go under a car and then get ran over by said car. I was lucky enough to get away with it with only a few bruises. The leather and body I can't say was as lucky. My mind took a long time to heal itself. The realisation that at any time somebody could mess up scared me to death.

Now I'm back on a bike and have a new wife to boot. Guess I got the best of both worlds. Good luck and all our prayers. Heal well and maybe the mind will come around to let you back on two wheels.

David :fingers-crossed-emo

That really sucks doesnt it! I hope your body heals the way it should and you feel better soon!

That truck is very nice!

And, you cant get fired from the site because of what you ride.

Now, if you were to take up naked belly dancing at the rallies and scaring the biker Mom's then people might not tell you were the next rally is!

Look at BlackOwl.....he didnt ride anything for a couple years and we kept him. Well, maybe its because we used him and his venture ranger to haul stuff....but....dont tell him that!:Laugh:

Take care Rich and enjoy the new ride!

Rich,

I'm happy to hear you are one who not only pays attention to that inner voice, but you also know when to listen to it...:thumbsup2:

You can stop riding, but you cant quit coming on the site here...

If you think htat new car is drving you crazy , I know around 50 to 75 bikes sitting in your driveway would really make you sick.....

We would enjoy you to stay and keep us informed of your healing progress.

I feel I can speak for everyone here and say that your new set of wheels would be most welcome at any VR meet & eat or rally too.....come join us anytime!:cool10:

Rich,

As it has been said many times, bike or not, no matter what brand or style, this site isn't all about bikes anymore. You never have to leave unless you dont want to be here. There are a few of the other members that have given up riding and still join us in their convertables. I would suggest that you just show up to any M&E in your new ride and have a great time.

I can understand about being gunshy, Lonna is still a bit after our accident. Give it time and if it's meant to be you'll be back on 2 wheels again. If not then you will show up in your Toy....it's all good my friend :happy34:

I understand what you are going thru and am glad you came up with such a great deal on the Chevy Hot Rod! Being a diabetic myself, and loosing a toe to the disease this summer, my choice is to turn my Venture into a trike in the next couple of years. You are always welcome around here as this is a site for enthusiasts, not necessarily persent owners. This site is family and no one wants you to leave the family...

:15_8_211[1]:

I was in Biloxie Thursday and Friday,saw a lot of Gold Wings comming into town.I would have liked to been there the week before when crusing the coast was there.I know seeing all thoes Wings had to make you wonder about riding again.Take care Jerry M.

Seems that around here rules are made up as we go along. Well here's a new one nobody has mentioned yet so far: You can't leave this site until you've met me, and seeing as that's not to happen any time soon, you're stuck here until that time at least,,,, and never mind what everyone else is going to say,,, they make up a lot of stories.

Guest BigJohnD

:backinmyday:...I feel it is time to insert my two cents on this.

I have never met ya...but I am sure we would get along if I did. I had a pretty good kerbluey a couple years back. Things are not completely right, but heck...I still like to ride. I swore if I do it again, that would be the end of it for me. So I can relate to what yer feeling.

But let me say...and it might have been said before...it doesn't make a obese rodents glutious if you have a bike or not. Yer a friend first...rider second. Do not loose touch just because you are changing up yer riding style.

I used to belong to a forum that had prejudices...if you didn't have a bike they dogged you. If you rode a bike that they didn't like they dogged you. If you had a bit of bad luck and were down for a bit they dogged you to get back to it. I do not sense that from this group. That is why I like being here. And that is why we like having you here.

Hope to meet you someday...maybe you will show me that shiny new convertible.:thumbsup2:

Thanks to all of you for your kind words of friendship and encouragement. I wish I didn't have to work and then I could spend all my time traveling this great country of ours and meeting all you fine people. And that goes for all our northern friends also. But unfortunately I can't so I will take your advice and attend functions as I can inmy new to me ride. I still love motorcycles and riding but my body needs to heal from all its been through this past year. Besides, the boss is the one that said no more bikes and she carries a big stick. i can understand her feelings so I will heed her wishes. I am so moved by all your words of friendship and encouragement and look forward to meeting as many of you as possible in the future. Thanks again, and to all please Ride Safe !!!!!

Guest BluesLover

Hey Rick - I sure hope you heal fully and quickly.

I can understand being "cautious" after such accidents, especially when they come one right after the other too.

Good luck with the SSR, and you never know ... the biking bug can always come back and bite you, eh? :whistling:

Cheers,