IGNORED

Rear Brake Milage 06 RSV

Guest redknight13

Guest redknight13

Got a question to all my fellow 06 RSV owners. What kind of milage do you get out of your rear brakes,cuz it seems like every time I need a rear tire ( about 8,000miles)I'm having to replace the brakes also and I think that's absurd especially since the bike sees more open highway then around town miles and I have always been more of a front brake first kinda rider.

I found that I use the front brakes only when coming to a stop on my 05 RSV for the same reason...

rear brake pads just seem to melt away if you use them on these things..

I will use the rear brake only while sitting at a red light or stop sign if I need to hold the brakes on due to being on a hill of anykind..

As mentioned, the inside pad wears down super fast compared to the outer brake pad..

Just keep your eye on them both, and when the inside pad wears down a little more than half way, just take them out and rotate them around..place the outside pad on the inside and the inside pad to the outside and you just now doubled the life span of your brake pads.. :thumbsup2:

I have 21K on my 06 and have never changed brakes. I'm on my 3rd rear tire. I ride 2 up quite a bit and pull a trailer sometimes. I use the engine and front brakes to do most stopping. I figure I will be due a set of pads anytime.

My brakes just got changed at 14000 miles and the inside pad was completely gone and the rotor had ground into the area where the pad used to be. The outside pad was 3/4 still there and I don't use the rear brake a lot. My local mechanic says that's probably what caused my bike to lock up the back brake and slide thus causing me to go down about 6 weeks ago. I now have the bike back and it looks great and runs great. I will, however, change the brakes every time I change a rear tire from now on.

Good luck,

Eddie

22,000 on my rear brakes and that is with a sidecar and sometimes a trailer.As some of you know where I live there is a lot of braking going on.Just replaced the rear tire so I went ahead and replaced the pads.They were still good for a few thousand more miles.

replaced mine a week ago ...had 14500 on them on my o5... Inside pad was paper thin..outside pad was about one sixteenth of an inch left....changed them just in time...getting tough to stop...fronts are still about 40 percent...wll change them out this winter..start with fresh set for the spring...

Well I put 37,000 on my bike before I changed the rear brake pads and they still had 1/8 of an inch left. Don't know how many miles were on them when I got the bike. I know the front were not changed ever and it's going to go over 80,000 this week. Then again I get 18-20,000 miles out of a rear tire also. Rear Brakes? Don't use them! LOL actually I do, but not nearly as much as the fronts. Most times I engine brake and use only the fronts. I don't know how many times I have stopped the bike without ever touching the rear brake.

• 2 weeks later...

16,434 miles. Unfortunately I listened to the "shop man". Stupid on my part, I know better. Calipers are real expensive. Brake pads are cheap!!!!!! Change'um every time you change rear tire. The caliper makes a hellavu awfull sound when used a pads. Front pads were barely worn, thew them away, they were always noisy. Replaced with EBC HH pads. Once run in the noise stopped.

Just bought set of Avon Venoms from Iron Pony. The "dealer" refused to mount anything but what the factory recommends. Fooled him, they (dealers) will never see my bike again. A BIG THANKS to all you guys who freely share your knowledge. Will let you'all know how I like the Venoms as soon as I finish all the misc. maintenance the shop never told me was needed.

Thanks again

Keep the greasy side down and the shiny side up.

Brother Earl :missingtooth:

It's all depend on your riding style, and I'm 100% agree with above posters about brand of pads. Go with Galfer or EBC HH There are waaaay better than Yama's stock pads

Galfer Catalog

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/catalog.pdf Page 32

And EBC Catalog

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/USA%2008%20MC%20cat.pdf Page 32

And could be ordered from: http://cyclebrakes.com/index.html

Good Luck

Edited by stardbog

Well, as you have seen, short life on stock rear pads is not uncommon on these bikes. I primarily use my front brakes, often not even touching the rear until completely stopped. My original rear pads were shot by 12,000 miles. The second set, EBC pads, lasted over 30,000 miles and didn't really need to be changed when I finally did it just as a precaution. Have well over 50,000 on the bike now and stock front pads still going fine. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Brake pads are wear items. I don't care how many miles I get out of them. 10 or 100,0000 miles is OK by me.

When they are worn to the wear indicating slots, I buy new ones.

It's my life. My bike should accelerate, but it MUST stop!!!!!!!!

I am currently on my first set of rear pads, and when I changed the rear tire, I noted one pad was worn more than the other, so I swapped them.

I will probally go to HH compound pads next time.

I got 16k out of my first set I now have 26k on the bike and have to put new rear tire on this week. I will check them then for wear.

I too got 17K out of my first brakes, I'm also at 26k and just had the last turn-up, no work of new brakes. and I pull a trailer 80% of the time.

I let the bike slow me down most of the time, and always stay away from hard breaking.

when stopping I use the engine, front brake , then rear, always, almost at the same time