IGNORED

I be back.

MasterGuns

Well, it is a pretty long story but I will make it as short as I can.

Went to the doc on Oct 31, 2013 for a painful left thigh. He thought it was my L4 vertebrae so off to get a MRI of my lower back. Diagnosis.....a large mass on my left kidney. WOW! What now. Had a biopsy of the mass and low and behold, kidney cancer. So off to two other urologists in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and both were too afraid to operate due the very close proximity of the tumor to my aorta. Everyone knows that even slight damage to one's aorta can cause a bleed out in just seconds. So, I searched around for a surgeon that was not intimidated by the location of this tumor and found one at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Started seeing him and his staff (all very wonderful professionals) on December 9th last year. January 14th I was in surgery for an open radical nephrectomy (removal on a kidney) and was in the hospital 9 days. I now have a 17in incision down the center of my belly. The good news is that I just had my first follow-up and I am clear of the disease and have been ordered by the doc to start riding again so that my disposition on things improve. One can live with only one kidney but not go very long without riding a scooter. So, today I broke out my 86 from the moth balls (got rid of my FJR and the 92 since I thought my days were very limited when I was first diagnosed) and she stills purrs like a kitten. Surprised cause I had not started her up since about 1 Oct last year (well over 4 months). Got my insurance renewed with Progressive a few minutes ago and will be ridin tomorrow.

I've been down some rough roads in my 64 years, but none have been as difficult as this surgery. This was the most painful ordeal I have had to endure in my life. Hydrocodon didn't help at all. For the first month I could only move from bed to my recliner. Even showering was a huge undertaking. Didn't have an appetite at all; hence I had lost over forty pounds between the surgery and the middle of February (one month). But have now gained back about 8 pounds. I have now put my self on a diet because I should get back to what I weighed when I retired from the Marine Corps and that was 192. So I am going to lose 13 pounds. Wish me luck.

Just one question.....is there anyone else here that has lost a kidney? If there is, please let me know...I have lots of questions.

Masterguns

I'll take the 3rd WOW in a row!!! Someone was sure watching over you in finding that tumor and getting it out!! Sorry you had to go through it all!! I LOVED your take on "being able to live with one kidney but not without riding" - THATS THE SPIRIT!!!! :thumbsup:

My brother had a kidney removed loaded with cancer, didnt get on it soon enough and now he is dealing with it in his lungs.. Terrible stuff for sure!!

Congrats and WELCOME BACK!!

Puc

Herb,

I expect nothing less from a Marine, as the saying goes Semper Fi. I am very happy to hear that your tenacity resulted in this success, and that your getting back in the wind. If you feel up to it, we would LOVE to have you in Waller on the 29th of this month for our MD. If I can help you with anything, please ask it of me. All the best to you my friend! :thumbsup2:

I too only have one Kidney but I'm afraid I'm not much help as mine was removed on Jan 29, 2014 but I had no pain and was only in the hospital 2 days.

I'm doing great and ready to ride but I fell on some ice on Saturday night. No problem with the operation but my shoulder sure hurts. Never ends. Ha.

Good Luck,

BOO

Great to here you do'n so well!!!! Keep up the good work, a buddy of mine that i ride with, his wife had kidney removed. she seems to be do'n great, gettin along good. if you want, i can hook her up on the computer for ya? Glad to hear your want'n to ride again, best therapy there is!!!!:thumbsup2:

My oldest daughter had that done about 2 years ago, almost same story, but the Dr wasn't so hard to find,, maybe not as difficult as yours, but she had about the same style of recovery. She's fine today, but still wonders (doesn't worry) about how long before the next round, if any. She has a lot of faith in her Creator, sure is her big comfort, for in life or death, she belongs to her faithful Savior.

Herb, glad your doing well and the Dr. has prescribed cycletherapy, we all know that works for everything. Will keep you in our prayers for continued good health.

Oh and by the way the tranny from that motor you donated is holding up well in my old 83, I dont own it anymore, but Jamie, whom you met at Squids house now owns it and is loving every minute of owning a 1st gen.

WAY TO GO. I CRASHED LAST AUGUST (MY FAULT FOR BUYING A HARLEY). CRACKED A VERTEBRA & COULD NOT MOVE FOR 3 WEEKS. SURPRISING HOW MUCH MUSCLE CAN BE LOST BY INERTIA. I LOST 35 POUNDS. I'M BACK RIDING AFTER 6 MONTHS. TRIKED OUT A 2ND GEN RSV FOR MORE STABILITY. KEEP ON RIDING. IT'S THE BEST WAY TO STAY SANE. :cool10: