IGNORED

Ever have one of those feelings....?

Flyinfool

Today was a beautiful day, clear, sunshine, not even a sniff of a possibility of rain in the forecast. In general a great day for a bike ride, and there ain't many good days left till the salt trucks come out to play.

So I go out to the shed to start getting the bike out and I get this weird feeling that says I should take the truck to work today.

So I finally give in to my feelings and take the truck to work, about a half mile from home I see red and blue flashing lights up ahead. So I am pretty much paying attention to what is going on up ahead when WHAM I hit something that I never saw. Of course I stop immediately to figure out what happened and hear banging on the bottom of the truck. So I shut off the engine fearing that I just ran over some kid I never saw. This happened about 2 blocks past the school right in the middle of town. I jumped out of the truck to see what is under me and there is a deer kicking and squirming like crazy. Well that was a big relief to know it was not some kid. At which point my brain immediately switched gears into thinking of fresh venison steak for dinner tonight.

But before I could do much else the deer wiggled out from under the truck and took off running full blast right down the middle of the road. :crying: The stupid deer took all of my fresh venison steak with it.:225:

The deer did not appear to be injured and there was no damage to my truck other than a clean spot where the deer rubbed off some of the dirt that was carefully placed over the last year.

When I was thinking it was a kid under there I think I was to scared to need new shorts, so no damage there either.

But had I been on the bike right there and then this might be a very different story. Sometimes it pays to listen to that little voice in the back of your head.

It is the silly season for deer. They are coming into the rut and will be running everywhere like crazy. Keep your eyes open for them at ALL times of the day and night. Those bucks only get lucky once a year and they will not let you or anything else get in their way.

I always first assess my physical ability at that time and ask myself - 'am I ready to ride today'. Weather and road condition comes secondary. There are times that I really wanted to ride instead of the cage and almost always I point towards safety first. I admit that there are times the bike wins over the car. :322:

I am a firm believer in that little voice.

My wife and I usually ride my RSTD to church on Wed nite. I had rode to school that day, about 75 mile round trip, beautiful day.

When we went out to leave for church, , , just that little feeling/voice that said "not tonight". . . . . .

Bout halfway thru service, , , ,began sweating uncontrollably, , , chest got tight, ,hard to breathe, , , , pain shooting up my neck, , , ,YEP,, , , , was having a heart attack.

Luckily, we had some nurses there and a paramedic that took care of me until the ambulance got there, , , lots of prayers, ,

Cardiologist said it was a blood clot passed thru my heart and lungs but, and he had no idea how or why, it dod not cause a complete blockage and a severe heart attack.

Dr. said with my heart history (bad one 9 years ago) It should have been a major event.

I listen to those little voices and that little feeling, , , ,

That time of year and next weekend rifle season opens and the bucks are in rut and being shot at and will be moving a lot especially at night.One of my biggest fears is hitting a deer on my bike.Plus yes I have those feelings but just not about whether to ride or not.Some days I get the feeling something bad is going to happen at work etc. Too bad I can't just call the boss and say hey I am scared to come to work today cause I got a bad feeling about it.I don't think that would be classified as an excuseable absence.

Been riding two days after Hurricane Sandy passed by our area. Leaves all over the place, but the wind is helping clear the roads. This time of the year, there is that voice that tells me to take the bike and ride. I don't take side roads at night, btw. Bambi may be lurking in the dark. :backinmyday: