IGNORED

Aftermarket TCI available!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello guys,

I'm using the sparker on my two XvZ1200 from 1984. I'm using a 1 bar map sensor connected to #2 port. Compared to the orginal TCI (that works except it drops #2 cylinder under 1500 rpm) the bike starts a bit slower and has problems around 1500 rpm. Seems to drop out a pair of cylinders. Also when hot tends to rise the idle towards 1500 rpm but quite quickly losers it to 1000 rpm.

My idea is that either I have a bad ignition map or is the sparker faulty. I will test sparker number to I reciewed yesterday but I want o be sure I have a good map for the ignition. I'll test the one I got from ignitech; "v-max old venture" but is this the best?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello guys,

I'm using the sparker on my two XvZ1200 from 1984. I'm using a 1 bar map sensor connected to #2 port. Compared to the orginal TCI (that works except it drops #2 cylinder under 1500 rpm) the bike starts a bit slower and has problems around 1500 rpm. Seems to drop out a pair of cylinders. Also when hot tends to rise the idle towards 1500 rpm but quite quickly losers it to 1000 rpm.

My idea is that either I have a bad ignition map or is the sparker faulty. I will test sparker number to I reciewed yesterday but I want o be sure I have a good map for the ignition. I'll test the one I got from ignitech; "v-max old venture" but is this the best?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Send me your email address (PM is best) and I will email you MAP program I furnish. It's better than the one Ignitech furnishes.

Gary

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

IGNITECH Sparker for 83' XVZ12 UPDATE!!!

Hey everyone, after having issues with my TCI and cutting it open to find it more of a hassle to fix than its worth, I saw this thread and decided to get a new sparker for IGNITECH.

I wanted to post because it looks like some thing might have changed over the last few years, in the posts here I see it mentions that the sparker does not come plug and play ready to accept the 83' boost sensor. I asked IGNITECH and they said that they would have it programed and ready to do so. I should have it by the end of the week (fingers crossed) and will update as soon as I know if it really works with the sensor or not since I know there are probably a few other 83' guys and gals out there and to come who are going to need this fix some day.

Ipleedthe5th,

Thanks! I recently opted to pick up a refurbished TCI for my '83(Thanks Mralex!) and it is working great but I wanted to go with the Ignitech just so I could go with the COP conversion when My 35 year old coils finally kick the bucket. I n the past, if my memory serves, The Ignitech could be programed to work with an after market vac sensor in place of the boost but it did come with the sensor. I'm also relieved to hear that the cost is significantly lower than I was expecting.

UPDATE!!!:

Hey everyone, so I ended up getting the IGNITECH TCI. Here is what I found!

The company was very quick to respond (you must contact them via e-mail) they responded multiple times in the same day. But take note that they are on the other side of the world so it is easier if you can dedicate one night to saying up till 5:00am to get all the communication you need with them taken care of in one day. Otherwise you'll be playing e-mail tag for a week.

Ordered the TCI on Monday and it showed up this (Friday) morning on west coast. So very very happy about the delivery time.

The unit came with the TCI, pug addapters, as well as the software and PC connector to custom program the unit for $200 landed.

The unit does appear to be truely plug&play, including the ability to read the 1983 boost sensor. When I dropped it in the bike it fired right up but had some after fireing when I hammered the throttle, I then realized the boost sensor was not plugged in. After I plugged the boost sensor in, she ran like a champ and as far as I can tell runs just like the stock computer does under load.

They do offer discounts for multiple units bough so if a group of you all (10+ people) are looking to get some of these units you can get them for around $150 landed I belive.

Sorry for the lenghy post but I would just like to do a quick shout out to the original poster and those who pitched in on this thead as I never would have gone this rout and probably would have sold my bike had I not seen this thread. You are a fantastic group of people and I hope to be able to meet some of you at the rallys.

UPDATE!!!:

Hey everyone, so I ended up getting the IGNITECH TCI. Here is what I found!

The company was very quick to respond (you must contact them via e-mail) they responded multiple times in the same day. But take note that they are on the other side of the world so it is easier if you can dedicate one night to saying up till 5:00am to get all the communication you need with them taken care of in one day. Otherwise you'll be playing e-mail tag for a week.

Ordered the TCI on Monday and it showed up this (Friday) morning on west coast. So very very happy about the delivery time.

The unit came with the TCI, pug addapters, as well as the software and PC connector to custom program the unit for $200 landed.

The unit does appear to be truely plug&play, including the ability to read the 1983 boost sensor. When I dropped it in the bike it fired right up but had some after fireing when I hammered the throttle, I then realized the boost sensor was not plugged in. After I plugged the boost sensor in, she ran like a champ and as far as I can tell runs just like the stock computer does under load.

They do offer discounts for multiple units bough so if a group of you all (10+ people) are looking to get some of these units you can get them for around $150 landed I belive.

Sorry for the lenghy post but I would just like to do a quick shout out to the original poster and those who pitched in on this thead as I never would have gone this rout and probably would have sold my bike had I not seen this thread. You are a fantastic group of people and I hope to be able to meet some of you at the rallys.

Good to hear man, glad it worked out well for you.

My 85 VR's TCI just kicked the bucket last weekend when my son and I were caught in a freak rainstorm, Tac dropped to the ground (dead) and started firing on two cylinders like a limp mode, limped her home in 1st gear. Checked the voltages on everything "All Good", Figure the only thing left was the TCI. Spent the next 4 hours digging that little SOB out to find that she been cooked well.

You think an 85 would be as plug and play as your 83?, Thinking about staying up till 5am deciphering some broken English and getting one.

Good to hear man, glad it worked out well for you.

My 85 VR's TCI just kicked the bucket last weekend when my son and I were caught in a freak rainstorm, Tac dropped to the ground (dead) and started firing on two cylinders like a limp mode, limped her home in 1st gear. Checked the voltages on everything "All Good", Figure the only thing left was the TCI. Spent the next 4 hours digging that little SOB out to find that she been cooked well.

You think an 85 would be as plug and play as your 83?, Thinking about staying up till 5am deciphering some broken English and getting one.

It should work. As far as I understand it, its the 83' that is hard to get working right because it has a different boost sensor than the 84's and up. But it seems like they have gotten it figured out. I can defnintly notice a diffrence when running the new sparker with and without the boost sensor connected. That said I do think that it needs to be advanced just a little more as I get some afterfireing. But that is also likely due to the fact that I am running premium non-eth fuel and also needing to burn out all the crap in the system from it sitting for 5+ years and running like garbage before now. It does seem to bet getting better with more miles.

Just be sure to let them know the exact year and model of your bike and you should be in good hands.

Later this evening I will plug my laptop into the new sparker to get a better idea of what the programed curve is and how its reading the boost sensor. Will repost once I have results.

But at any rate, defnitly get it. Even it it required a little tweeking or the MAP sensor mod that has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it is completly with the $$ to have a reliable sparker that you have the option to custom tune to YOUR bike (as all motors wear a little differently and can sometimes benefit from a custom advance curve). And it cant be beat with a 2 year warranty. Try finding a stock TCI with that!

It should work. As far as I understand it, its the 83' that is hard to get working right because it has a different boost sensor than the 84's and up. But it seems like they have gotten it figured out. I can defnintly notice a diffrence when running the new sparker with and without the boost sensor connected. That said I do think that it needs to be advanced just a little more as I get some afterfireing. But that is also likely due to the fact that I am running premium non-eth fuel and also needing to burn out all the crap in the system from it sitting for 5+ years and running like garbage before now. It does seem to bet getting better with more miles.

Just be sure to let them know the exact year and model of your bike and you should be in good hands.

Later this evening I will plug my laptop into the new sparker to get a better idea of what the programed curve is and how its reading the boost sensor. Will repost once I have results.

But at any rate, defnitly get it. Even it it required a little tweeking or the MAP sensor mod that has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it is completly with the $$ to have a reliable sparker that you have the option to custom tune to YOUR bike (as all motors wear a little differently and can sometimes benefit from a custom advance curve). And it cant be beat with a 2 year warranty. Try finding a stock TCI with that!

Going to check a few more things in the bike to be 100% sure, but finding a legit 33-year-old board that is in better shape then mine is probably like winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning a few time. I would have better luck going the route you went and get something new, and programmable.

Going to check a few more things in the bike to be 100% sure, but finding a legit 33-year-old board that is in better shape then mine is probably like winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning a few time. I would have better luck going the route you went and get something new, and programmable.

So Another update. I have not yet plugged my laptop into the computer but I did install the software with the disk they provided which also included the profile that is currently loaded. Here are the screen shots of it.

Settings.PNGBikeSettings.jpgBase curve.PNGAdvancedCurve.PNG

Pay close attention to the green boxes in the upper right hand corner of the first image. This is how it reads the boost sensor. And while I know that the kPA settings are off (the yamaha manual refrences 5.3 - 27ish kPa), the voltages are correct for what a 1983 venture boost sensor gives off (or at least what the 2 that I have mesure at atmospheric pressure and under vacume. So it does in theory work and it feels like it works.

I will, (once i finish with tuneing carbs and such) try and get some DYNO time like the guys earlier in this post did to post more scientific results. But as I see it now, it looks like IGNITECH has got a pretty good handel on the required programing for these bikes to get the most out of them with no modification. So for any of you having TCI issues, I highly encourage you to just bite the bullet and get one of these units. The amount of time and energy you will save will make it wel worth the cost and get you back on the road much quicker than trying to repair a TCI that just wants to RIP.

[NOTE] If anyone has one of these units running on an 83' (I'm not sure it works on newer models but you can try at your own risk) and wants this profile, PM me and I'll send it to you.

• 2 years later...

Last year I ended up getting an Ignitech unit along with COP units and harnesses all from Ignitech directly. I noticed the one they sent out was a v96, not sure if anyone else is running one of these and I'm not sure if there is a difference in the ignition timing map from the v88, from what I can see in the screenshots above. I was pretty easy and plug and play for the most part, except I was running non resistor plugs which really messed with the sparker until I switched back to resistor type plugs. I am also using the original boost sensor.

I would have to say the unit coming from Ignitech is very good, but I can say it seems like I have some reduced fuel economy. Also, I was wondering if the timing might be a bit more retarded from the factory TCI because it seems like I feel a little more heat coming off the exhaust while we are riding in windy weather than I remember. Also, WOT power seems to be a little down too, seems like I remember passing someone by downshifting a gear and hammering it, it was like an explosion of power. Now it is still very good but just feels like there is a little less of an edge than I remember. I might not be remembering correctly since we hardly rode at all last year due to many businesses closed and restrictions due to covid. Also, I am reluctant to start messing with the advance curves out of fear of causing more harm than good. I definitely have a problem when I get an idea in my head that something isn't right or the way I remember, I will keep messing with it until I've screwed it up real good. So really fighting the urge to do so.

I was curious if anyone still has a copy of some of the changes they have done just to see what others have done with the settings and how it has worked out in real world situations. I know there has to be quite a few miles on some of these units with modified settings with no ill issues (hopefully). Also, I had seen some references to possible dyno testing with some of these settings but was wondering if there were any results, and if there was a reference to which software files produced a certain range of horsepower or calculated mileage. 

As it stands, I might just keep running the machine with the ignition curve sent to me with the box. It is very good and I really haven't given it much time. All the wind this time of year around here can make any bike seem to have less than stellar fuel mileage. I was just curious to see what other members were running for ignition curves, if willing to share. I have attached the Ignitech files that I received. 

Thanks!

v-max old venture v96.ign v-max old venture with COP coils v96.ign

Here is everything I have on it and I believe it covers 83 - 89. @dingy was the one I got all my info and help from. He seems to be playing with it all the time. Also @Jayceesfollymay have something to add as I believe he is running it on his 89

Aftermarket TCI available.docx Change to different program in TCI.pdf Ignitech Venture TCI Installation Instructions.pdf Jim Crane 8-23-14.ign Loading dwell change into TCI-1.pdf Loading program change into TCI.pdf manual_sparker_tcip4_v80_en.pdf

Edited by saddlebum
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, saddlebum said:

Thanks for sharing this! I will see if I can move closer to the advance map shown and see how it does. I noticed that the base timing on this map is 5° compared to 10° on the one that came with my module. I wonder if these maps take into account base timing to advance? For example, if your advance is 38° is the total advance actually 48° if your base timing is set for 10? 

OK, well I loaded the COP program and then transferred the timing table over from the file you shared above. Just took it out, seemed to start up very good, no choke needed. Definitely feels like the part throttle response is much better and the top end seems to pull pretty hard compared to the stock curve. Its very close at least so its hard to tell, but just going by the seat of the pants. I tried to listen for any pinging and at least I couldn't hear it anywhere in the rev range, loaded or unloaded. Now for some long term testing and observation to see if the fuel economy improves at all. Over all so far I am liking it a lot. Thanks again for sharing and appreciate all the work everyone has done to make this more refined. Have a good evening!

18 hours ago, TTrax said:

OK, well I loaded the COP program and then transferred the timing table over from the file you shared above. Just took it out, seemed to start up very good, no choke needed. Definitely feels like the part throttle response is much better and the top end seems to pull pretty hard compared to the stock curve. Its very close at least so its hard to tell, but just going by the seat of the pants. I tried to listen for any pinging and at least I couldn't hear it anywhere in the rev range, loaded or unloaded. Now for some long term testing and observation to see if the fuel economy improves at all. Over all so far I am liking it a lot. Thanks again for sharing and appreciate all the work everyone has done to make this more refined. Have a good evening!

I think a hard pull up hill maybe even lugging it in higher gear while doing would be a good test for ping. If you can lug up hill in too high a gear and get no ping I would say you can cross ping off your concern list.

Also I am not sure how much Dingy stays in touch with this site anymore but you may find him on one of the V-Max sites.

Edited by saddlebum