IGNORED

Is this really possible??

Marvin81

While cruising the item on EBay for sale I came across this add: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-Yamaha-1989-Venture-Royale-1300-Blue-Like-New-200-miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem588296a25dQQitemZ380148032093QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

Does anyone believe this is really possible? A 1989 VR with ONLY 210 miles on it? It does look very clean. 3K current bid but it also has a reserve on it.

Possible sure; but boy that is sad that the bike has been sitting for so long...

My g/f's grandfather has a 1968 Mustang (I am pretty sure it is a GT500) sitting in his (heated) garage that be bought new that he just rolled over 6,000 original miles on it...

If its been sitting for almost 20 years...

There could be a lot wrong with it from deterioration/ rust or maybe it just needs a cleanup inside and fresh lube everywhere.

The tires will be rotted. They appear to still have the blue die on the raised white letters.

Hopefully no rust in the cylinders. Trying to start it before its cleaned up is likely the wrong thing to do, as the rings and pistons could be rusted and now have a damaged bore and valves.

Looking at the bike, one way to tell is to look at the wheels and engine cases. I've NEVER seen a set of wheels THAT CLEAN! I don't think you could clean then that much! I'll bet his reserve is around 4k, might go higher than that. Of course, you'd have to do a carb overhaul, fluids etc. If the bike has set that long, may be other rubber issues to deal with, with a teardown and rebuild. Congrats to the future owner, she IS a beaut!

If you get it be VERY careful!! I bought a '95 Ducati three years ago with 4k miles on it, in excellent shape, but had been sitting since '98 when the original owner developed vertigo and couldn't ride anymore. It started ok, but wouldn't idle. Well, I got it, took it to the duc shop and had 'em go completely through it (6k service, carb rebuild, new tires, new timing belts). Got it back and it looked and ran great, HOWEVER, on the first ride, 15 miles from home a car pulled out in front of me when I was running about 65. They were a good distance away so no problem, I simply squeezed the front brake lever to scrub some speed, which it did just fine. To my surprise, when I'd slowed to about 30 mph the front wheel LOCKED (and I had JUST RELEASED the brake lever!!!) I slid to a halt and thanks to a merciful God there were no other vehicles coming. I could NOT move the bike outta the road!!!! Talk about rattling your cage. Anyway a guy stopped and helped me move it, called wife and she came and we loaded it up and took it home. Time we were ready to load it, the brake had released.....hm... Anyway, but to the shop and the found rust in the master cylinder which caused it to "lock", it would eventually bleed off, BUT the bike wasn't rideable 'till I got a new master cylinder. The mechanic and service manager said they had NEVER seen anything like it:95:. Anyway, got it taken care of the had enjoyed the bike ever since. MORAL of STORY--IF you buy and old bike that's been sitting for a while, check ALL systems carefully BEFORE you ride it!!!!!!!

I'm not sure that would be a bike that I would want.

I agree I would have liked have seen a few thousand miles on it just to keep it lubed etc.

It sure does looks original, including the tires.

I did notice one thing. There seems to be an add on cooler of some kind on the radiator grille. Can't see it to well but it don't look like the grille that I remember on these bikes.

Did anyone else notice that?

BOO

I would only buy that bike to show it in a museum... not ride, as it would take a lot of time an $ to make it ride-able....

But there is not much call in museums for a VR....

BUT there are others here that have time to spend on overhauling the trans and engine to make it RUN!!!!!!!

This bikes been on E Bay before. When I was looking last Year it was up for sale but the guy wanted $4500.00 for it. Obviously he didn't get it. Its a few hours away from me and i was considering it but the price is a bit above the average. Even with the low miles. a bike that sits like that can be problematic I bought my son a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 750 that had only 1,800 miles on it. We had the carbs apart 4 times trying to clean them, finally had to have them boiled to get all the debris out of the choke holes. It was frustarting biut the bikes run like a top ever since.

Hi guys, new member here!

There seems to be an add on cooler of some kind on the radiator grille. Can't see it to well but it don't look like the grille that I remember on these bikes.

I think you're looking at the fins on the radiator cover. Looks like mine.

Doug

Just checked and the auction ended and it didn't sell...Final bid was $4999.99. He really likes that bike and must not consider what it would take to get it road ready. It is a very clean bike but I would be scared of all the potential "problems" with it.

• 8 years later...
While cruising the item on EBay for sale I came across this add: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-Yamaha-1989-Venture-Royale-1300-Blue-Like-New-200-miles_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem588296a25dQQitemZ380148032093QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

Does anyone believe this is really possible? A 1989 VR with ONLY 210 miles on it? It does look very clean. 3K current bid but it also has a reserve on it.

Re: is this really possible??

I bought that 210 mile motorcycle. Currently being renovated by a mechanic. So far: Over $900.00 for carb parts, rust free- scratch free- dent free- fuel tank of ebay, new fuel pump, New tires (avon cobra), fuel level sending unit, adapter plate for oil filter, oil filter. air filter, thermostat, fuel filter, new dryer material for CLASS, fresh brake fluid, fresh clutch fluid, fresh fork fluid, cables lubricated, changed fliud in final drive, swing arm lubicated, wind shield cleaned