IGNORED

Mistake buying a Venture?

I just bought my new 2007 Venture on June 3rd. I have only 800 miles on it and love it! I previously had a 1998 Harley Electra Glide I put 87,000 miles on it before I sold it, the only problem I EVER had was a bad starter clutch at 15,000 miles. I'm starting to get a little concerned as I read about the multitude of problems posted in the forum and I'm hoping that I didn't make a mistake buying the Venture. I have always liked Yamaha products i.e. atv's, dirt bikes. My first bike was a 1000 Virago. I liked the way the Venture looked and I couldn't bring myself to pay $20,000 for a new Harley. Now at only 800 miles my Venture is in for the dreaded "rear end clicking" and head gasket leak(not leaking yet, want to have the head bolts tightened). I have been dealing with the same dealership (Pete's Cycle Co. in Baltimore) for over 20years now and they have never let me down so I'm not concerned about their ability, but you can't blame them if a bike is poorly engineered.

When I walked in the service department and started describing my 2 problems I didn't even get to finish, the service manager said "we know about the problems". He even showed me copies of the technical service bullitens.

I don't mean to sound needy but can someone convince me, honestly, that I made the right choice? Keeping my fingers crossed, but it's hard to ride like that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you didn't make a mistake. The 2nd gen has a few kinks that will get worked out. Give it some time and you'll probably end up loving it. I ride a first year 1st gen and I rode it 90,000 since I got it. Only maintenance it needed was for worn out parts, with some minor problems self inflicted (not getting around to taking care of problems).

You got a few members in your immediate area. Come on down to Asheville this August we're having a get together there.

Looking forward to seeing you at any of our meets.

Jeff

What you will find on this site are some very dedicated people to thieir rides down to the minute details - far more indepth that the manufacturer. Also consider there are over 5100 members that have posted about the Venture back to the beginning (1983). Another thing to consider, people here will freely open up with thier questions and issues and MANNNNY will jump in a do what they can to help (Might make things look far worse than what they are).

Knowing all of that, you can get the impression that there are a lot of issues with these bikes. BUT THERE ARE NOT.

There is a 5 year warranty - LEARN TO USE IT!

YOU DID NOT MAKE A MISTAKE! YOU MADE THE CHOICE OF A LIFETIME.

You had 87k on your bike before selling it. Many first gens have broken 200k before really doing anything. There are others that have gone over 400k.

You are among some real perfectionists - LEARN TO USE IT. And have a great time doing it!

????

OK, we all know that most of the problems on these new bikes for over 5 years, have been known about by the Dealers, and Service Reps !!!

So !!

Why don't they just fix the known problems " BEFORE " they sell the bikes !!!

Why, do they insist on torqing off folks who are their Bread and Butter ???

Any Dealer type folks out there can answer this ?

Actually, most of the RSV's have very few problems and only a few have had more than a few of the 'normal' problems. The problems from the 1999 and 2000 models where addressed in the later model years. About the only issue people have now is that some of these bikes have more 'whine' than others. Very few people that I have read about have had major issues. I can think of two at the moment.

The worst problem most of us have is poor customer service from our local dealers. But, then we post the good ones here so hopefuly you'll be able to locate a good dealer if needed.

My 1999 Venture with 72k miles only needed minor tune up work and a clutch in the past few years.

:usa::biker::checkeredflag:

Sir back relax and ride it. They like to be ridden so do not let it sit :sign20:

Not bashing your other ride but you had a good bike and I think you were a little lucky. I think your new ride what ever it may have been would have some small annoying problems, but with the 5 year warranty and a good dealer you should enjoy this one. It's comfortable and rides like a dream generally with little problems. There are a few but these should not be a problem for your dealer and the warranty.

Enjoy the ride. I have had both an 86 and now a 99 and enjoyed both.

BRad

You made a great choice. I ride a 2000 (red - the fastest color) and have 54,000 miles. Done an Iron Butt and several multi-thousand mile trips (taking another next week - WooHoo!!). It is reliable, comfortable, and great looking. Chicks dig it (at least my wife does - that's what counts). It has sufficient power to ride 2 up and pull a trailer.

Have had no major issues - clutch solenoid at 20k repaired under warranty, clutch, and ... umm ... just maintenance items (brakes, oil, lube, tires, etc.). They are pretty easy to wrench on and you have a great resource for help right here.

We are also really good about directing you on how to spend your money on chrome and farkles (fun accessories, kool, likely expensive).

Welcome to the family.

RR

Every forum I've belonged to seemed to magnify any alleged problems with the bike to the point where you start to question yourself if you've made the right decision.

I don't think there's a bike out there that you won't find something to gripe about.

After reading all the threads on the chirp and whine I'd just about convinced myself I needed to import an "I basket" into Australia from USA. I really don't. I went for a long ride instead last weekend up the coast to Denham and back. 1700 kms (1,000 miles). My brother accompanied me on his 'Wing. I rode a few hundred kms on that bike and I was glad to get back onto my Venture.

Just learn to relax and enjoy your ride.

Steve

Keep in mind that, on forums like this and other forums on the web, the majority of post are going to be about problems someone is having with this or that thing. There's not much reason to post about your bike, or other device, if you're not looking for some help with a problem. Therefore, it seems like there are more people having problems, proportionally, because of the predominantly problem oriented posts.

Did that make sense... :confused24: Can someone please explain it to me? :whistling:

There is a 5 year warranty - LEARN TO USE IT!

quote]

DITTO! Purchased my 05 RSV last May from my local dealer with 5700 miles on it. I have put almost 10K on it since without problems. Just normal maintenance. 800 mile trip over Memorial weekend and 900 miles this past weekend all without incident. Saturday included a couple of hours on I10 in Florida at 80 mph and Sunday was all day through Alabama secondary roads frequently turning off the intercom just to listen to it rumble as we cruised heading back towards Birmingham.

I never once worried about mechanical problem.

Ride it!

Thanks for the responses everyone, makes me feel a little better. I figured problems were magnified by the amount of bikes on the site.

By the way flb 78. First of all I don't buy a bike for resale value, I buy a bike to ride. That being said if I was going to buy a bike for resale value it wouldn't be a Harley, their cutting production because they can't sell their over priced bikes that have mostly "metric" parts in them now anyway, while the "metric" bike manufactures are going wild. My local dealership is selling 15 to 20 units a day(I know the owner). To get a Harley equipped like my Venture would have cost over $20,000!!! Got my Venture as a left over model for $6000 less. My riding partner is trying to sell his Ultra right now, he paid $18,500 for it 2 yrs ago and can't get more than $10,500 for it now! Nice resale value. Keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool then to open it and remove all dought.

Trainwreck,

I think your response is a bit strong and that FLB's comments were meant to be humorous. You have to stick around for a while and learn the personalities that we have here. :) Please don't start off here by getting offended and mad, hand around and give it some time and you'll soon learn that no harm is generally meant.

If it was meant in fun, I appoligize FLB. It's just that It really ticks me when people spout this crap about anything other then a Harley or any other American made bike is junk. I've been around too long in the biking community and had too many different bikes to think that way.

Again, if it's a joke, my appoligies.

Thanks for the responses everyone, makes me feel a little better. I figured problems were magnified by the amount of bikes on the site.

By the way flb 78. First of all I don't buy a bike for resale value, I buy a bike to ride. That being said if I was going to buy a bike for resale value it wouldn't be a Harley, their cutting production because they can't sell their over priced bikes that have mostly "metric" parts in them now anyway, while the "metric" bike manufactures are going wild. My local dealership is selling 15 to 20 units a day(I know the owner). To get a Harley equipped like my Venture would have cost over $20,000!!! Got my Venture as a left over model for $6000 less. My riding partner is trying to sell his Ultra right now, he paid $18,500 for it 2 yrs ago and can't get more than $10,500 for it now! Nice resale value. Keep your ignorant comments to yourself. Better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool then to open it and remove all dought.

Hey man, I know you are fairly new to our group - welcome to the site and I hope you really enjoy your RSV - most of us here think it is the best bike you can buy today.

I'm sorry that the comments of another member made in light-hearted jest got under your skin; please try to understand the spirit in which they were offered. I've seen new people on other sites complain that they couldn't get any responses from the long-time members, and we don't have that problem here. I believe flb 78's comments were more meant to just show you that folks here were paying attention to you. The thing that makes this site so different and better than 99% of the other forums you might find is the great family atmosphere we have here. The only way we can keep that is to treat each other with respect. Disagreement is not only fine and expected in a large group like this, but when it is discussed civilly, we all learn from it. However, it is extremely important that all members avoid the name calling, insults and personal attacks that can destroy what we have. Thanks for listening, and I hope we see more of you around here! :thumbsup2:

Goose

train wreck

if you notice fib 78 avatar does state STIRRER OF THE POT and if you didn't get some you would be feeling left out . fact is nobody here gets left out we all get the roast at some point . As far as the rsv guys saying you did good I disagree you should have gone !st gen much faster and you dont have to paint it red to make it go.:bikersmilie::bikersmilie::bikersmilie::bikersmilie::bikersmilie:

Guest tx2sturgis

Thin skinned and humorless individuals will not last long in this place.

I own a Harley Ultra and a Yamaha Venture...I like them both. I see negative comments on this forum about Harleys, and in real life, get some negative comments when I'm riding the Venture.

None of that matters. I ride what the hell I want to ride.

Besides, flb rides a Venture, and he was just razzin ya...sayin hey, if you dont want it, he'll take if off yer hands.

Now get the chip off your shoulder, and have fun!

Guest JGorom
train wreck

fact is nobody here gets left out we all get the roast at some point . :bikersmilie::bikersmilie::bikersmilie::bikersmilie::bikersmilie:

Heck you want to see a guy get roasted...go check out some of the responses to my post..."What's it worth"...

Some of those guys *toasted* me there...but I've been here long enough to know they all meant well and some of them even *tried* to be humerous...PS they are still trying. :backinmyday:

You asked the question so don't get upset with the answers. I hope you didn't make a mistake buying a venture, but I sure did. I believe in telling it like it is and not sugar coating things. I get amazed at the repsonses on here. Like the cure for the chirp and whine. Get loud pipes, turn the radio up loud and get ear plugs. I didn't buy my bike to get loud pipes and wear ear plugs. There is no excuse for yamaha knowing about this problem and doing nothing to correct it. My bike has been at the dealer since June 3 waiting for the factory rep to come and see why after 5 rear ends another one is gone. I go on the harley tech talk and gold wing site daily. Sure, other bikes have problems but they are usually some minor problem isolated to just a few bikes. But the venture has constant problems and yamaha ignores the problem. The last time I called yamaha on June 2, and they said they would call me back. Today is June 25 and I haven't received a call yet. But the ventures don't have problems, you just need to gease the rear end. A friend on mine bought an 04 venture new and was riding to texas and a bearing exploded in the rear end. He rented a U haul truck and brought it back to Georgia cutting his vacation short. It took three read ends before his bike got fixed. But the venture doesn't have any problems. Just turn the radio up loud, get loud pipes and ear plugs. I don't think so.

Yes I purchased a new car one time and didn't get home with it. I had to walk about two miles but the dealer corrected the problem and I never had it again and I never saw anyone else have the problem. But with the venture its the same problems over and over. It's hard to enjoy riding a bike when the scream of the read end deafens you. But I know. Get loud pipes, turn up the radio and get ear plugs. And oh yes, pull the rear end and grease it before every trip.