I am new to this site but find it a wealth of information.

Thanks to all

Here's my poblem I recently got a 1983 Venture I posted the Vin# here last week and I think it is the first off the line. but thats not my problem. when I got it it had set for about 3 years. It runs OK and looks good but after my inspection I decovered no brakes on the rear. so I ordered a rear master cylinder and last night rebuilt the master. all went well lines bleed out and now have good brakes. I thought while it is in the shop I should change the oil and filters at the same time. I drove the bike in the shop it started and run good. after I changed the oil it would not fire up. It turns over good, it's getting gas I though that it may be a stuck switch so I traced all the wires to the switches sidestand, clutch, neutral switch even the emergency stop switch all check out and still no fire

I removed all the fairing and checked the wiring to the TCI module all looked ok to but just no spark.

as a way to test the TCI module i removed the Kill wire black/white stripe wire check power in and ground all ok . with the kill line off the bike should fire up and run. No luck on fire. It looks like the TCI module just went bad

but before I spend $900 on a new TCI mod I would like to here for some of you.

Is their a way to test the TCI mod to be sure if it is ok or not.

Is their something that I am missing that will keep it from starting

As I said it turns over ok just no spark. but i drove it in the shop

any comments you have would be welcomed

I need to order the TCI module before Tuesday to have it by the end of the week.

Thanks for the input

Hi,

i can't imagine your TCI going south just while you're changing Oil and Filters.

Did you check the Fuses ?

Check the red/white Wires on each Spark Coil on the yellow Connectors for having +12 Volts against Ground. There should be the same Voltage as your Battery provides.

I hate to ask the obvious, but as Ive done this (and admitted it in here). Is your Kill switch still on.

Sorry but I had to ask......

Brian

OOps sorry I see that you tried the kill switch wiring and all, i gotta learn to actually read and not skim thru stuff...my bad....

Thanks for the Info and to answer your questions. The kill switch, side stand, clutch and neutral switch all keep you from cranking it over. it cranks good just no spark on any cyilnder, no I did'n check for power on the coil but I will before I order the TCI. It did run al little rough when I first got it I but I put down to setting idle for 3 years and just needed run out for a fwe miles. I caled the local dealer and the quoted price for the TCI was about $880 i checked the internet and the price runs about $750 I don't want to buy one until I am convinced that it is bad. I need to try everything elas first. As for the wires from what I see on the prints the Black/ White stripe wire runs to the switched to kill the ignitor. Before the new electronic stuff they used to ground the coil to kill a magneto controlled engine. I was realy hoping to be riding this week end but i will just have to wait until I get it on the road. the only good thing if you can call it that is that it happened in the shop instead on on the road a 100 miles from home.

I can't see any relation between changing the oil and filters and the TCI failure but though i would rase the question and see if I may have mised something or if anybody else has that happen. It must have just been time for the TCI to go 25 years is long enough.

As to where I am in Pa. Mount Joy, Lancaster county

I caled the local dealer and the quoted price for the TCI was about $880 i checked the internet and the price runs about $750 I don't want to buy one until I am convinced that it is bad. I need to try everything elas first.

As to where I am in Pa. Mount Joy, Lancaster county

Here is another option to consider, bench testing of the tci & repair if needed, but it can take a little time.....

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16599

Try to rule everything else out, first though.

Dont forget you have a pick up coil under the fly wheel cover, unless a 83 did this in anouther way, im not sure if the tci has battery power as well as key switch power, i would think it should have both. maybe someone has a extra tci they would loan ya for a test before you spend the big bucks on a new one.

I just wanted to say Thanks to Squeeze for the links to the info. It at least it gives me something to work with.

I will go out and recheck everything tomorrow. Using the new information.

Your right their usualy don't have trouble with the TCI. but I know when they do go bad they just quit no warnings or notise before hand.

I did check for bad connections first thing along with a blown fuse. but now that I have this information I can check things better and know for sure.

This is the kind of information they should put in the service manual.

As for having a spare on hand how many of you keep a $900 spare part for something that should last 10 years or more ?

Thanks again you have been very helpful

I As for having a spare on hand how many of you keep a $900 spare part for something that should last 10 years or more ?

Several of us, I'm sure! Generally we pick one up on ebay but lately they have been going for $100. I piicked mine up for around $40 but unfortunately it won't work on an '83.

Heck, some of us have spare bikes for parts...

I caled the local dealer and the quoted price for the TCI was about $880 i checked the internet and the price runs about $750 I don't want to buy one until I am convinced that it is bad. I need to try everything elas first.

NO..NO...NO!!!! Think Ebay..Ebay..Ebay... That's the place for replacement parts. $900 for a new TCI is rediculous.....

Unfortunately a lot of older 1st gens have had wiring "alterations" performed on the interlock systems....so the starter sometimes cranking can mislead one based on the original wiring schematics.

So verify you have 12 V right at the red/white wires at the TCI as well as the coils.

You mentioned checking the black/white interlock "ground"....you tried that at the TCI with the key on correct?

You mentioned you did an oil change and filters. Any chance you were changing fuel filter and possibly disturbed the wiring harness?

Didn't wash the bike during the service and the TCI got wet?

If you definitely have to replace the TCI, I believe the main difference between the 83 and 84-89 is that the pressure sensor vacuum on 83 is tapped to the carb, the 84-89 is from the #2 manifold, so the timing advance looks at a different signal. I believe if you convert the vacuum signal over to the #2 intake, that a 84-89 TCI will work for you, and be more readily available used. The pressure sensor part is the same....from what I remember, but I'm sure others can jump in to verify or correct my info.

Edited by Neil86

:nanner:

I have the answer!!! Sell the bike to me and I will worry about all the electrical problems. Then you can take the money and go find a nice running Venture. I would hate to think of all the riding you might miss if I did not offer this great sacrifice on my part.

Just kidding- you'll get it sooner ot later. It took me a while to get used to my 86 and understand her quirks.

JB

I'm Not Sure If All Of The First Gens. Use The Same Cdi Box Or Not But There Is Currently A Listing On Ebay With 6 Hrs. Left And The Bid Is At $11.00. The Item Number Is: 370048969793. It Appears As If The Seller Has A Group Of Electrical Items From An 87' For Sale. Hope This Helps!

Earl

I believe the vac/boost would be a different value depending on where it

was measured in relationship to the butterflies. Others will chime in and tell you

where to relocate the boost. I think using the later boost sensor and hooking

it to one of the balance ports might do the trick.

JB

83 TCI is differant from all the others.

This is a dumb question....or idea....try new plugs. Maybe you flooded the ole girl and fouled the plugs. It doesnt take much.

I had to replace all the plugs on my 89 the day I sold her because I fouled them something aweful. Would crank like crazy but not fire at all.

Seems cheapest and easiest thing to try first.