IGNORED

Homeowner Tip of the Day

Freebird

Some of you may know this already.

If you forget to put the roll bar down on your tractor before entering your shop/building, you may find the overhead garage door crashing down on your head.

Just something that is useful to know. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Some of you may know this already.

If you forget to put the roll bar down on your tractor before entering your shop/building, you may find the overhead garage door crashing down on your head.

Just something that is useful to know. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Hope you are Ok

Get the kids ready for Sunday School, load em in the 82 Starcraft Chevy Conversion Van securely parked in the garage, make sure their all buckled in and the babies in the car seat, climb in, jump out and run back inside and grab the babies diaper bag, climb back in and back the van out,,, but don't forget to push the garage opener button hanging on the visor of the van before you do cause if you don't you can take out the garage door - center pillar between the garage doors and even the brick wall running up the pillar... :big-grin-emoticon:

When you back out of the garage, never look over your shoulder and turn the steering wheel, as your upper body turns to the rear (Not as young and as supple as I used to be). Anyway, the front of the car turns and as you are reversing out of the garage, the corner of the front bumper catches the door frame and steel track for the overhead door. Front garage wall is pulled out from the bottom and falls on hood of car.

Don't ask me how I know this!

Note: this happened many years ago when cars had real steel bumpers that were actually functional.

Jim

Heheheh... hands up anyone who HASN'T got one of these stories?

Ours starred the hatchback on a nearly new (to us), relatively pristine, semi-hi-end SUV.

Had the Hatch up while perusing the overwhelming number of control buttons 'n touch screen items - 42 in all. Decided to back 'er out despite 'Headache From Hell', and proceeded to merge both doors with sound effects we'll never forget... hopefully!~

Rgds, WRIDR

One of the first work trips I made with my current employer was to an assembly center in Edgewood, MD. I work for an agricultural manufacturer and grew up on a small farm. As one of my first jobs, I had to inspect utility tractors coming in from Brazil. We were under the gun to get the inspections done as soon as possible.

In my haste, I started the morning by pulling some units into the building from the parking lot. The roll up door into the facility was open part ways and I was eager to get the first machine in to start my day. I remember hurriedly pulling into the building and noticing that the exhaust pipe barely missed clipping the bottom of the part-way opened door. All the sudden I remember thinking "ROPS!!!" right about the time the ROPS frame came in contact with the door, bending it out nicely as the machine passed right through...

The manager of the assembly center was known for having a short temper and I was loathe to visit with him to tell him I had damaged his facility. I had grown up around some older farm equipment and a ROPS frame was beyond new technology for any of the machines I grew up with (Allis Chalmers B and WD-45, as well as John Deere G and 830 machines). Fortunately, he had already had some other building issues and had scheduled a contractor to visit and didn't seem to be too concerned about the damage. It might have also been since I spent about 2 hours before he seen the door trying to bend it back into shape as much as possible LOL.

Anyways, your post reminded me of that first mistake I made but was glad that the problem didn't conclude with my leave of the company. Hopefully you are doing OK and can chuckle about it in the future!

Most folks around here just take them off. I could see where they could cause issues. A lot of the zero turn mowers mowing outfits around here have orginaly had roll bars but dont fit well in the trailer so, off they go. Whats next seat belts?

Well, a bit more detail. I hardly ever have the ROP up. Now this happened on my Mahindra compact tractor. It has a belly mower but I seldom use it for mowing. I have a zero turn that I mow with. I use the Mahindra primarily as a fork lift when I get a shipment of stairlifts. It has a front end loader and I have removed the bucket and install a set of forks in place of it. My driveway is about 450 ft. and the semis that deliver them park out on the road and I use the Mahindra to take the pallets off the trailers and to my building. I actually need a larger tractor as the pallets are often loaded a bit heavy for my current tractor. So, I had ordered 6 stairlifts but there was a screwup and they shipped me 12 units. That's OK because I can use them but some of the pallets were loaded heavier than usual. I have a 3-point sprayer on the back of the tractor and had it full of water to provide some ballast. I was still a bit nervous though so decided to put the ROP up while taking the pallets off the semi. I seldom put it up so when I got to the building, I just attempted to drive right on in like I always do. BAM!!!! Down came the door.

It's all good now. Not a lot of damage to the door, just a couple of pretty good dents and they came out fairly well. Took the door apart yesterday and got it re-hung. Now just to be careful not do do it again.

Once worked on my car when I was a young apprentice on the midnight shift at liquid cargo lines. Someone yelled the boss was rolling into the yard. I jumped in the car not realizing the passenger door was not latched and hotfooted in reverse out the door. The unlatched Passenger door swung open on the way out and caught the door frame of the shop. The aftermath was not pretty.

Edited by saddlebum