IGNORED

Hurricane Florance

Sylvester

Not boding well for the Carolinas or Virginia right now. Florance went from a Cat 1 to Cat 4 in less than 3 hours and has open warm water until landfall. All three states in state of emergency which is good planning to make mandatory evacuation of the coast. I am inland west of Charlotte so unless it is like Hugo that plunged across the state we are good. The construction company I work for has multiple project at or near the coast and they mobilized all our heavy haul trucks today to move cranes and other heavy equipment to high ground. Amazing that today is the peak for hurricanes, but there are two more brewing behind Florance.

Pray that all our residents fair well.

:farmer:

I have the week of the 24th reserved at Hunting Island Campground just north of Hilton Head, SC. We were there two years ago a week before Hurricane Matthew came thru and tore it all to pieces. We may still be looking at close to a Cat 1 hurricane that may make it all the way to the NC mountains, if what the Weather Channel is showing happens. The last hurricane that made it up here tore the Blue Ridge Parkway all to pieces with downed trees and rock slides.

We will have to just wait and see what happens and hope everyone stays safe.

Randy

My nephew just moved to Raleigh (from the UK) he arrived yesterday 9th! Starts his new job today!

Talk about being thrown in at the deep end. I just hope his new associates & colleagues will keep "the new guy" on the right track as it's not something he's used to at all in the UK.

I messaged him a few hours ago to ask how his first day at work went & also told him to listen to the warnings & not to underestimate what could be coming! I haven't had a reply yet.

Just watched this, seems they are as prepared as they can be:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article218119200.html

I must admit to being quite concerned. Be safe everyone!

Just heard from him, all OK at the moment but the worst is set fro Thurs/ Fri (nothing has happened yet). He went to the store to get provisions but it was stripped bare he said!

Edited by Kretz

WE got pounded last year with Irma-gedon. With what insurance paid compared to what I have paid since last time they had to pay out, I would have been better just putting the money in the bank. It will take us 4 or more years to recoup what it cost us. So hope you all get spared.

I just watched on the news where the SC governor has lifted the mandatory evacuation order for south of Edisto Island, which is across the bay from Hunting Island, Fripp Island and Beaufort, SC. When Hurricane Matthew came thru the bathrooms were so full of sand that it was halfway up the tank on the commodes. It also tore up bridges and did a lot of flooding.

They also have both lanes of I-26 going away from the beach area.

This is going to be bad for a whole lot of people. If there ever was a "calm before the storm". this is it.

Randy

Things will continue to develop, like Cat 5 and a stall of the hurricane so that it churns over the state like Harvey did last year in Houston, TX. These are views of weather people and not anything I came up with. Bottom line is that this may be the worst storm to hit this area since 1954 (Hazel).

My nephew (post #4 ) is off.

Hope he doesn't leave it too late, he's found a place to stay west of the Smokies, near Chattanooga, so he's leaving early Thursday morning. Personally I wanted him t leave Wednesday.

I think he'd have stayed & toughed it out if he'd been there a bit longer; but after only a few days, not really knowing the area, the stores (of which many were already empty) or many people I persuaded him to get the heck out of Dodge.

I plan on riding it out. I bought a generator and plywood to board up the windows and hopefully everything will be okay. If it does look like it's coming in at cat 5 though, I will be looking for a rapid departure if possible.

Take care, I really hope there will be few problems for everyone. But maybe that's expecting too much.

Be safe!

I'm on a 7 day cruise that was supposed to spend 3 days in Bermuda and the rest at sea. Very last minute diverted to Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I'm having a great time, but there are many grumpy people on this boat.

Some didn't find out about change in plans until they arrived at the ship. Clothes appropriate for Bermuda don't work well on Cape Breton island.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I'm on a 7 day cruise that was supposed to spend 3 days in Bermuda and the rest at sea. Very last minute diverted to Maine, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. I'm having a great time, but there are many grumpy people on this boat.

Some didn't find out about change in plans until they arrived at the ship. Clothes appropriate for Bermuda don't work well on Cape Breton island.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

That's hilarious! LOL'd at your comment re clothing! Pleased you are enjoying the cruise anyway!

Well, my windows are boarded up. I was fortunate in that I was able to get a handy man I know to help with the upstairs windows. I would never have been able to do it by myself. It is also something I will never do again. I'm 74 and I'm too old for this s--t! I haven't been so tired in years! Cat 3 now and is getting close.

Of all the lines that have been drawn of the direction it is predicted to go, most now show it taking a more southerly route, but now they appear to intersect right across east Tennessee. I suspect we will have some bad flooding. I live a couple hundred feet above town elevation, but also have a lot of tall trees.

I hope everyone comes thru this as okay as possible, but there will be a lot of damage.

Randy

The forward winds are on shore with thousands reported without power. It will only get worse from now. 36-40+ inches of rain on the coast. Then it heads southerly towards South Carolina and Georgia but the hooks right toward NC mountains and Tennessee. I may take a more severe hit than I thought. For me I am on high ground and other than erosion I have only the wind and the tree damage to worry about.

Prayers up for all in the storm area.

I am 80 miles from Morehead City and 120 miles NE of Wilmington. So far just light winds and rain showers. Looking for things to pick up in the next couple hours. Very thankful things are not as bad as it couldbe. I am on high ground, so I am more concerned with downed trees and power loss.

Earl

I live about 25 miles east of Columbia, SC. We should see about 10" of rain and gusts to 62 mph Sunday early morning if predictions are right. I live right off I-20 and it looks like the center will be paralleling about 20 miles south.

I'm ready, got all the yard stuff done, several gallon ice bags, propane full, all vehicles gassed. Gas cans full (and a boat gas tank I can siphon). Small generator for the fridge and coffee,, TV and internet if needed. Capt Morgan and Vernors stocked.

All I got left is to pull the bird feeders and my flag tomorrow.

We need the rain.

For all you Folks who are in The Path, and have no experience dealing with these things, here's one thing to be aware of, and to get your Head prepped for.

The First half can range from Seriously Scary to Downright Terrifying. However, Human Nature gets into the act, after entering the calm stuff in The Eye.

There's a natural tendency to think: "Phoof! Glad that's over!"

Believe us, it most definitely isn't, and depending on which quadrant passes thru your area in Part II, the Second Half will: a) seem like a Thousand Freight Trains are bearing down to tear your home apart, and b) will appear to be NEVER ENDING. It WILL end, Folks. Just hang in there.

Best Wishes to all, Good Luck to those Folks directly in The Path, and PLEASE do NOT go outside. Flying debris is the most dangerous threat, and a Killer you'll never see coming.

Sorry we can't speak to the Flooding; we have little knowledge of the affected areas.

You are ALL in Everyone's thoughts and Prayers.

Best Wishes, WRIDR

Heres a tip you all may not know about being you get only one of theses every 7 years or so. Take a paper cup or solo cup and freeze it about half full of water. Once it is frozen and in the freezer place a quarter on top of the ice. Then if power goes out and you check food in freezer, if the quarter is sunk things have thawed out in freezer and you probably need to toss.