IGNORED

Couldn't Hold Off Any Longer

SilvrT

So here were are, touring the USA, stopping here and there and occasionally renting a bike. Way I figure it, if we keep going at this rate, we'll have bought and paid for a bike a few times over by the time we get back to Canada so .........

We went and bought something just to be able to ride whenever we wanted to ....

2005 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 FI single family owned with 28,000 miles. In mint condition with the only mod being V&H mufflers.

Now we'll need a trailer to tow it behind the 5er!!

Kawasaki_2.jpgKawasaki_1.jpg

NO LONGER BIKELESS :dancefool: :dancefool:

Nice color to boot. I think Barrycuda has one of them. Can you tow another trailer behind the 5er? I see it in some states but I dunno what the rules are from state to state/Provence. I see bike trailers on craigs list off and on for around $500 that look decent.

Can you tow another trailer behind the 5er?

In most states you can; however, some stipulations apply such as overall length. Florida is one that doesn't allow it but it's somewhat of a grey area when it comes to private individuals pulling an RV (non commercial application).

The issue I now have to deal with is the load capacity of the bumper on the 5er. I may have to get that beefed up. As well, I need to consider the issue around unhooking/hooking the trailer back up when the bike is on it. Not sure how that's going to work! Have been putting some thought to that dilemma but haven't quite worked it out in my head yet. [if there's a will ... there's a way]

Maybe we need to switch to a toy hauler eh? LOL

Nice bike Rick... I can't imagine trying to back that rig of yours up with a trailer in tow.... How's the heat situation with that water cooled twin??

Never felt any heat.

Would need to unhook the m/c trailer before backing up the 5er ... that's not a problem, hooking it back up could be LOL

Will be making every effort to park in places where backing up isn't required.

Toy hauler is the way we have been looking to start. Room to store bike. Plus makes a bonus room, bed room or porch when parked.

I'm looking into toy haulers but our budget is limited so will depend on what's available and how much we can get for trade-in on our 5er.

I'm looking into toy haulers but our budget is limited so will depend on what's available and how much we can get for trade-in on our 5er.

You might try looking at a horse trailer with living quarters. This one just sold at auction up in Redding CA. DIXIE STAR. The saddle racks could be removed and there's plenty of room to stow the scoot.... Pretty nice!!

0ddcba22.jpg

Take a look at this web site for a trailer you would not have to unhook. www.swivelwheel.com

Im looking into this kind of trailer for our bike. Still trying to get more info.

There's a couple here in our RV park that has the dual wheel version. They load a Burgman 650 onto it. I checked it out but the price (around 5G's) is a tad outside our budget!

:ice_congrats-vi6886

That's one nice looking bike, CONGRATULATIONS :happy65:on no longer being bikeless! :beer:

That's the bike I wanted, before I got the RSTD. & THAT very colour too!!!! I can go off people you know! LOL

Edited by Kretz

That's the bike I wanted, before I got the RSTD. & THAT very colour too!!!!

I've actually considered buying one of these many times. In fact, a dealer near where we live was clearing out 2008 inventory just prior to the new 2009 models arriving and they were selling them off at a very low price. Nina & I almost went for it but we really wanted more touring comforts so we bought the RSMV instead.

I've always liked the style and features of the Kaw Nomad. We looked at 5 different bikes the day we made the deal on this one and somehow I knew from the beginning that we'd end up buying it LOL

Rick, may have found you a solution to your need for an open truck bed along with the 5th wheel trailer.

Bike in the bed, trailer behind. 👍👍

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110974

Not to hijack but that looks like a jack knife waiting to happen. Anyone here pulled one? I bet it's also a treat to back up.

• 3 weeks later...

Well sadly we had to sell the Nomad :crying:

We found a suitable Toy Hauler but the price difference between it and our 5er was more than we wanted to spend out of our savings and because we have no credit history in the USA, they couldn't finance us. That left us with towing it behind the 5er. Well, the cost to rig the 5er up with a trailer hitch and buy a trailer worked out to appx $2500 Canadian .... just not worth it. That plus the fact that some of the states we have to travel through it's illegal to double-tow made the whole idea not worth the expense or hassle .... so we sold the bike. Between the cost to license it, state taxes, and a couple hundred worth of extras I added to it I guess we're out about the cost to rent a Harley for a couple days (which we probably would have done anyway).

At least we did get to enjoy a few rides on it and it was a really good bike. Definitely one I would consider buying again (when we return home).

Onwards and upwards!