IGNORED

What will your next bike be?

mcompton1973

After our 2 up ride last Sunday to our favorite breakfast about 2 hours away, I feel like I am in getting to this situation and although I haven't said anything to my wife yet, it has been seriously bothering me all week.

I bought an 02 Midnight Venture which was my second. The first was an 06 Midnight Venture that I had to sell in 08 when the economy crashed. When I got the 02, I lowered the front 1 " by raising the forks tubes and lowered the rear with the Baron's kit. It handled very well for me because of my short inseam.

Last fall, I had the opportunity to buy an 08 Standard Venture with under 5K on the clock for a ridiculously cheap price so I returned the 02 Midnight suspension back to stock with the intention of lowering the 08 like I did on the 02.

For thos eof you that haven't ridden a Midnight vs Standard Venture, The seats are very different. The seat on the Midnight is much stiffer than the pillow seat on the Standard. With the Midnight with the stiffer seat, there was no way I could flat foot. With the pillow seat on the 08 and the switch to Avon Cobra tires, I could easily flat foot so I decided not to lower it.

Well back to the Sunday ride. Right from the get go, I didn't feel all that comfortable 2up coming to stops ro starting out from stops. Then when we came out of the restaurant, I couln't get the bike upright no matter how hard I tried. I had to dismount, stand the bike up, then swing my leg over it while holding it steady upright. Not an easy task. This has never happened to me on any bike. The ride home was dismal for me. Slow maneuvers, stop and goes seemed like I was working overtime the whole way. The bike bike just felt heavier than usual. Although she didn't say anything, I knew my wife new something was up. Funny how after 37 years of marriage that we can pick things on each other. Of course when I got home, I checked the suspension and tires pressures and they checked out fine.

Took the bike out solo a few days ago and it felt great. Unfortunately, the RSV is used mostly just for 2 up riding. I have plenty of other bikes for solo riding. I am not giving up yet. I love the RSV too much to give up that easily. I am going to lower the front this week when I get time to see if that helps. If that does not get me where I want to be, I will put my Baron's rear lowering kit on it to help lower the center of gravity.

If that doesn't work, I am going to have to start looking for another tourer. I have no idea what it will be yet. I already eliminated the Gold Wing. Nice bike, but last one I owned made me feel like I was old. I sold my 2nd Road Star recently as I like my bikes to be a little smoother so maybe used Indian or Vulcan cruiser is next on the list?

Always thought that at my age, the RSV would be my last tourer, but the last 2 up ride has me very concerned that it won't be.

Have you been doing knee exercises? It really helps. I do a few exercises 3 times a week. One of the exercises is 45 squats. As we age the legs will get really weak if we don't exercise them. I'm 73 yrs old. Exercise also helps keep arthritis at bay.

Here is another view! No Harley here...

Here it is next to an HD Ultra Classic

Picture taken up on the Mogollon Rim about 100 miles NE of Phoenix....

I'm sure it's a great bike. And I don't mean to criticize your bike. But it looks like a Harley to me. I just have a mental block when it comes to Harleys and wannabe Harleys. It's my problem.

Puc my friend, I love your posts, (well most of 'em) we've never met so I wouldn't presume to call you a Geezer, (you may be one, but I wouldn't call you one! :whistling:besides you might be bigger than me!) it was more a reference to myself :fingers-crossed-emo phew! hope that gets me out of the hot seat! LOL :beer:

don't want to be in the Pucter's naughty boy book.

Awe,, thanks Kretz for loving ANY of my posts my friend!:thumbsup:

You dont ever have to worry even one bit about Puc even having a naughty book - I always figure with as much :witch_brew:, :stickpoke: and :rasberry: that I do around this place (I love needling people - especially folks that I love and I know love me) that ANY form of :stickpoke: or :rasberry: or :witch_brew: I get I am SURE I somehow deserve it :witch_brew::stickpoke::rasberry: :big-grin-emoticon:

Puc da Geezer

I am firmly in the 3 wheel camp now. I don't trust my balance any more and my meds don't help. I still miss my RSTD but there is no going back. I really like my Spyder RT Limited.July 4 2016.jpgBryce july 4 2016.jpg So my next bike would probably be a 3 cylinder RT Limited (mine is a V Twin).

Have you been doing knee exercises? It really helps. I do a few exercises 3 times a week. One of the exercises is 45 squats. As we age the legs will get really weak if we don't exercise them. I'm 73 yrs old. Exercise also helps keep arthritis at bay.

Funny that you mentioned knees.

I work out at the gym 3 days a week mostly working on lower back and legs to help me with my work. I am self employed with my kitchen cabinet business and I deliver most of the cabinets I sell. This part of my job requires receiving, loading and unloading cabinets from my box truck to job sites. Delivery can be as simple as unloading them using the ramp into a garage to climbing stairs to a 3rd floor. So physically, I am in good shape so I don't think that's my issue with the bike.

The mentioning of the knees is kind of ironic in a different way though. Must be because I read your response this morning. Anyway, I went out to my box truck this morning to put some extra parts needed for my delivery tomorrow morning. When I went to get out of the box, I slipped and smashed my left knee on the step bumper. So here I am, on the recliner with ice on my knee typing this. Already secured help to make the delivery in the morning seeing how I can't even think about stepping on my left leg at the moment.

So much for our planned ride today.

It will definately be the touring Can-am Spyder. I like the idea of being able to sit on the back and letting the wife drive for awhile. My son has already spoken for my 86 so I can still ride it if I feel up to it. Its not getting any easier to hold up as I get older. Looking back on life I wish I would have bought a tourer long before I did. Make note - Buy touring bike sooner in next life!

Great topic, I figure my next one will have a side car on it, been looking for a while now, just haven't found the right one. Over the winter worked on a 84 Yammy xj750rl, that is now purring like kitten with a full belly. I have to decide what to do with it, I think my daughter is trying to work a swap with the old guy for her Virago. So back to the side car, Ural would be cool, also seen a couple other cool bikes with side cars. Even after selling the RSV ( that will be tough), but we already have 3 bikes in the garage. Ya I know side car hmmmmm, but I think they would be kinda cool.

Mike

Great topic, I figure my next one will have a side car on it, been looking for a while now, just haven't found the right one. Over the winter worked on a 84 Yammy xj750rl, that is now purring like kitten with a full belly. I have to decide what to do with it, I think my daughter is trying to work a swap with the old guy for her Virago. So back to the side car, Ural would be cool, also seen a couple other cool bikes with side cars. Even after selling the RSV ( that will be tough), but we already have 3 bikes in the garage. Ya I know side car hmmmmm, but I think they would be kinda cool.

Mike

I like the idea of a sidecar, but haven't ridden one enough to know if one would be good for me or not. I hear that a sidecar rig takes a lot of arm strength to steer, is that true? My right shoulder gives me trouble after an accident a number of years ago. Which is why I like the RSV/RSTD and cruise control so much for anything other than short rides.

Yes they do require upper body strength. I bought and installed a Hannigan on my 02 RSMV and it did not take long to see this wasn't for me. Could have spent more money on "easy steer" in the hopes that it would help, but gave up and sold the side car.:farmer:

I like the idea of a sidecar, but haven't ridden one enough to know if one would be good for me or not. I hear that a sidecar rig takes a lot of arm strength to steer, is that true? My right shoulder gives me trouble after an accident a number of years ago. Which is why I like the RSV/RSTD and cruise control so much for anything other than short rides.

I hear that a sidecar rig takes a lot of arm strength to steer, is that true? My right shoulder gives me trouble after an accident a number of years ago. Which is why I like the RSV/RSTD and cruise control so much for anything other than short rides.

I have not ridden one yet, but have heard differing stories, but it does make sense that it would take more strength to turn as your won't have the advantage of push steering on a bike with a side car. I just did the Cannonball Ride a couple weekends ago, did the 1000 mile one in 36 hours (ya ok Iron Butt Riders I know you did yours in 24 hours or less), but didn't use the cruise very much and I was paying for it later in the week if I moved my right wrist in a certain way. With the sidecars I have also heard that if they are not set up correctly they can wander in their lane, again adding to the shoulder workout. A fella I spoke to a the bike show in Toronto in January that makes and installs sidecars put it quite simply to me by saying if my bike didn't have a shake in the front and didn't wander before the side car, it wouldn't do that after he installed his on my bike. That is still an option I am looking at as well.

Mike

You did this... www.motorcyclecannonball.com ..in 36 hours? Took a friend of mine over 2 weeks a couple of years ago.

No, in Canada they have http://www.cannonballrides.ca there are different lengths of rides and different routes, the one we did was 1000 miles and it was the Eastern Ontario route. These Cannonball Rides​ happen a couple times a year, I believe the next one is in September.

Mike

Hey Comp,,, there's a KTM Adventurer with those pannier side cases on it for sale down the street from me.. I know nothing about it but I do know those are pretty neat scoots as far as Adventure bikes go as I use to have buddies that had em.. If you would like I can get you a phone number if I see it outside again (it was down by the lake - not even sure what house right now) - just give the word..

I am bucket listing and picked up an, always wanted to have R1 Yamaha.. Wayyy fun!! I could go on for hours with how impressed I am with it and how glad I am I grabbed one..

Been riding 1st Gen's for many years now for most of my touring needs and will probably end up with another one after I finish wearing out this latest one. I have had many scoots thru the years and LOVE old school stuff. Not to long ago sold my war bike (42 WLA) to help with medical bills - wow was that a fun machine with TONS of rich history.. Not real sure that another is in my future,, have owned lots of Harley's (LOVE EM) with numerous Shovels under my belt.. Built numerous Chops and still LOVE the long bike ride. Did have a 59 magneto XLCH Sporty I chopped using an old 10 over Grass Hopper front end and a Amen frame I reworked to rake match the forks - came out nice.. Had a 16 over Cali Springer I stuck on an old Santee Softride frame I reworked for that fitment - WOW was that a fun bike - probably the best rider of all the Chops I ever built or owned - rode it to Sturgis numerous times = there is NOTHING like a real good Springered long bike on the open road!! That one was 71 SOHC 750 Honda motored and it ran great!!

Thinking about your question,, I seriously have no for sure direction on my future bike purchase.. There is some desire inside,, possibly bucket list,, for a V-8 powered scoot = Boss Hoss... Beyond that, possibly do another ground up Chop,,, maybe using a crunched new Sporty 883 converted to a 1200 so I get the good gear ratio's.. I have always built off swap meet stuff,, maybe this time by a brand new Paucho 18 over narrow Springer and have a frame jig built to match it.. Do a Soft Tail mono on air so my back can handle it..

Dont know.. For sure I am gonna have to get tired of this R1.. To old to go back to single trackin or MXin on a KX500,, probably wont be threatening no kids in the woods...

Hmmmm,, good question,, good thread!! Cant wait to see what others post up..

Cowpuc is like a walking, talking, breathing encyclopedia and museum of motorcycles. He should have his own TV show...

as as for the next bike? I have 10 in my mind. How many will come home? 1 or less. The wing has 49k, barely broken in. My Kawasaki Vulcan has 38k. Wife says what the heck you need more bikes when you have these 2 PLUS.....access to my brothers 03 venture, his 82 supersport F 900 and his newly acquired blackbird. I guess she's right, but I still want a

Vstrom 650, FJR-09, BMW adventure bike, V-rod, older ultra glide ( older bc I want more color options than black or.....black), ural with sidecar, Honda Valkyrie, New venture, Older Indian ( pre Polaris ) and I'm sure a few others...

Edited by Barrycuda

I would go back to the V Star 1300 Deluxe!!!!!

Hi Folks:

We kinda let everybody else express their thoughts before jumping in, becuz: our 'final' move may cause some cringing amongst many Diehards.

After 20 bikes over 50-odd years, with the onset of age (74), crippling arthritis, and Stage 4 Prostate Cancer, we had to settle for something eliminating the need to climb over a bike to ride. Fortunately, we were able to stick with Yamaha, and our dear friends at Motosports Trenton in Eastern Ontario.

Let the cringing begin: our 'last ride' is a 2012 Yamaha Majesty Scooter! However... for those unfamiliar with the Breed, 'Madge' is capable of an honest 100 mph, and cruising all day long on The Big Road at 70-80 mph!! She also visits Wally World to bring home several bags of groceries under that huge cushy seat. There's more: Madge can store two full-size helmets in her top case (not shown, to reduce the Humiliation~) when touring, or riding two up to provide added safety for nervous passengers.

We're pretty happy with the compromise, BUT still miss the 'leg over to saddle up' sensation at the beginning of a ride.

One other 'bonus': Madge got our Daughter back in the saddle again, roughly three decades after our 'Cross The Continent, Two Bike Ride'. The smile on her kisser makes it all worthwhile.

Rgds, WRIDR

t 4280.jpgt 4258.jpg

I really like those scooters. Have, in the past, thought about getting rid of the big bikes and buying a couple of those. I think Eileen would really enjoy it also. Just can't seriously consider getting rid of a big bike though. Maybe someday.

as well as ST1300s

Dunno yet if I'll own another bike or not .. got to fulfill my current urge to live the RV life for a couple years.

BUT, if I do get another scoot, the ST1300 is one I'll seriously look at. Am also considering a Can-am Spyder. As I've ridden the Harley EG Ultra several times at Harley demo days, I would also like to own one some day so .... we'll see what the future holds!

Found this one .... got my mojo workin LOL

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/6144598686.html

Edited by SilvrT

You know when I was a young fella, my first "bike" in the 1960's was a Lambretta Li 150 Scooter ('cause my Dad wouldn't let me have a dangerous motorbike!) I was a reluctandt "Mod". The scoot was a two stroke 150cc did around 70mph (with a tail wind ;) ... I also weighed a lot less back then too! LOL) Carried two without too much complaining, often took my Dad to work on it.

We are considering a move from the "Metropolis" to one of BC's West Coast islands. (Salt Spring is a favourite). So Maybe all I'd need would be a smaller scoot for nipping to the shops etc. perhaps I might look for another Lambretta, really don't know but I do remember enjoying that little scoot a LOT & that's what it's all about after all.

Dunno, maybe now it wouldn't be as much fun (& I know I'm not a daring as I was then) but I used to ride in a group with an older guy who rode a 200cc Vespa Scoot & he kept up with all us guys on our big bikes & always had a huge grin on his face!

Wow! Memories huh? I remember on the day before my road test, the kickstart broke & jammed, my cousin offered me the loan of his 50cc Honda bike, but I wasn't used to it & ddin't want to use it for a test. So on the morning of my test I stripped the Lambretta, got the part/s put it all back together & made the road test appointment just in time! I passed btw! :)

Edited by Kretz