IGNORED

Trailer theft deterrent

Midrsv

I just picked up a new trailer to haul my bike to Florida for the winter season and I had to come up with a theft deterrent since I have a corner lot with no fence. With a ball coupler lock I think this should slow the thief down.

IMG_0140.jpgIMG_0139.jpg

I used that method to remove both wheels on the 5x10 when I needed to buy new tires. Good idea! Never thought of using it as a theft deterrent.... Might be a good idea on our pull behinds too. Take them off and lock 'm inside the trailer.

I used that same method for my RV trailer, but I used 4 stands and no weight on the tongue.

My stands were tall enough that the tongue jack did not reach the ground, so it would not be easy to use to get the trailer off the stands.

The drums might still be the low point, just hook up and pull it off the stands and worry about the tires later.

But you are right, nothing will stop someone that is determined to take it, but that will stop the tempted lazy thief.

How you going to mow the grass, Will make it a big hassle to use. Park at my house I need a shed. lol Is a nice looking trailer was wanting to get one to take down south to ride in winter also. cot and chair camp at a campground ride around area move on.

Most utility trailers use the same wheel pattern. I know of one carpenter that would leave his trailer on the job site with the wheels removed. One Monday morning he found the trailer gone. According to a witness the thieves brought their own wheels/tires and hauled it away.

As someone else has said, the best you can hope for is to make stealing your trailer too difficult. I like the idea of a steel bar through the wheels (left to right) with a cap on one end and a steel cup for the lock on the other side. The steel cup will not allow simple cutters to reach the lock.

Unfortunately, if a thief wants it, they will take it, and there really is nothing you can do to stop them short of sitting in the yard with a shotgun. The best to hope for is that the neighbors trailer looks to be an easier target than yours. It also helps to leave the trailer doors unlocked and nothing worth stealing inside. This gives them much less incentive to steal it just to see what is worth locking up inside it.

So far I have found my trailer to be sitting open twice. Someone was disappointed that they went thru the effort and risk to open it for no gain. Because it was unlocked they did not have to do any damage to become disappointed. No it did not open itself. And it was not worth their while to steal the 2 bungee cords that hold my cooler down or the side stand plates that I give away for free at events.

that's a good looking trailer, what size is it? you don't have to make it thief proof just harder to steal than your neighbor's :080402gudl_prv:

It is a 6x12 that I ordered from Diamond Cargo Outlet and picked it up at the factory in Douglas, GA. Here is a picture of it with the wheels on.IMG_0013.jpg

this is the trailer I use it is 16 feet and I have added an air conditioner on top, take the bike out and blow up the air mattress and we're ready to stay a while.

I've thought about doing that, but came up with one problem. I have it, and so do you. Someone could come along and lock the side door or ramp for that matter. There's no way to open it from the inside and you're locked in. The side door should have a lock that can be locked for the inside. If you'll look at midrsv's first couple of pics he has one that can be locked or opened from the inside. I own 4 enclosed trailers and they're all outies.. The next one's going to be an 'inny'... :whistling:

Condor you are correct, when we are inside for the night I lock the walk in door lock and bracket that is on the door and then I have a thumb bolt on the inside. I guess the door latch could still be wire over. Hopefully no one will do that or at least let me out when breakfast is ready.