IGNORED

How much light is overkill?

flynvy5

Ok guys and gals,

I had someone tell me i had too many lights. so here is the break down of what i have.

Rear,

LED taillight, normal turn signals, trunk spoiler, under trunk run/brake, led strips on the fender stays for turn and brake

Front,

LED headlight, LED passing lights, Dynamic Rings, LED spots mounted to the fender bolts

Accent lights all over

I will be changing the rear signals to led thinking about adding a rtb for the led signals.

2nd gens need more light in the rear so the 1st gens don't run them over.

So far i have 538 LEDs and I still have over 1000 more to mount, somewhere.

No such thing as too many, UNLESS, you have them arranged or set up in a way that could confuse the driver looking at them. If some one is not sure of what your intentions are they may guess wrong and take you out even though they can see you.

He's riding a 2nd gen ... wouldn't be able to do it either way :whistling: :stickpoke:

2nd gens need more light in the rear so the 1st gens don't run them over.

So far i have 538 LEDs and I still have over 1000 more to mount, somewhere.

No such thing as too many, UNLESS, you have them arranged or set up in a way that could confuse the driver looking at them. If some one is not sure of what your intentions are they may guess wrong and take you out even though they can see you.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Wrong person to ask!!! You NEVER can have enough lights!! Sorry, I do NOT believe in "Loud Pipes save lives" especially seeing as deaf people have driver's licences. Blind people can NOT get a drivers licence, so therefore I would MUCH rather be seen and not heard!!

Maybe your friend who said you have too many lights is secretly jealous of your bike...

Wrong person to ask!!! You NEVER can have enough lights!! Sorry, I do NOT believe in "Loud Pipes save lives" especially seeing as deaf people have driver's licences. Blind people can NOT get a drivers licence, so therefore I would MUCH rather be seen and not heard!!

Maybe your friend who said you have too many lights is secretly jealous of your bike...

Says the man who rides what looks like a spaceship at night! Bobby has more lights than Times Square !

When you turn on the lights, does it slow down? Then you have to many lights because the gen has to work more. I had a Suzuki GS 1000 I had aircraft landing lights on the front for driving lights. I couldnt run both because they were such a draw on the system.

All you 2nd Gen bashers can :moon: :no-no-no: If my 2nd Gen was as ugly as those 1st gens, I'd want to get out of sight as fast as I could too :crackup:

Says the man who rides what looks like a spaceship at night! Bobby has more lights than Times Square !

Sheesh Raggy,,, first ya say us 1st Genners got ugly bikes and then ya call Bongo a square... Must be suffering some kind of mid-life crisis or something brother :rasberry::moon:

:lightbulb: maybe find yourself a 1st Gen to go chase that daughter of yours around the track on!! Betcha your Mid-Life crisis will magically disappear :stickinouttounge::big-grin-emoticon:

Sheesh Raggy,,, first ya say us 1st Genners got ugly bikes and then ya call Bongo a square... Must be suffering some kind of mid-life crisis or something brother :rasberry::moon:

:lightbulb: maybe find yourself a 1st Gen to go chase that daughter of yours around the track on!! Betcha your Mid-Life crisis will magically disappear :stickinouttounge::big-grin-emoticon:

Mid life crisis? That's what the GS is for !

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree with you Jay, them thar 1st Gens be ugly. But too each their own. As far as lights, depends on the State you live in as to what is legal. I do know a few guys with Goldwings with leds that change color. Look cool, but if they turn red, yellow or blue and a cop see it, they get pulled over. As far as clear in the front and red in the back, heck only way too much is it looks gaudy. I have thought about adding some lower running lights to the front and getting red led strips for between the fender and saddle bags that would come on when applying the brakes.

I used to do the Michigan Midnight Ride in August. There were Goldwings with so many lights on them they looked like UFO's going down the road. This on guy did a pretty neat trick. He spotfaced holes about 1/2" in diameter about half the thickness of the windshield deep. Polished those spotfaces out so they were clear and ran led's along the base of the windshield inside the fairing. Those spots all lite up. Pretty trick.

To many lights would be like telling the wife no thanks we already have to much sex. There's no such thing

I'm glad someone else said it. That way I can pretend I might not have.

Left an after party from the Harley shop last summer and my VR was referred to as a spaceship/UFO due to the lighting. The Voyager is headed that way now.

• 2 months later...

Just getting started adding lights I guess. Bought these and after some internal debate about where to put them, drilled and mounted them to the top box, ran the wires inside, used part of an old motorcycle harness so I have a 6 pin disconnect atop the fender to make trunk removal easy. Soldered my leads into the factory tail wires just behind the battery. Thanks Freebird for the how to in tech!

RSV leds 004.JPG

Not the prettiest but that rear sure needed more light. Separate strip for brake, turn and running on each side. From flea bay, got 4 red and 4 amber for a total of $18 with shipping. They were brighter than I expected. The running lights are furthest from center and are pointed more to the side so don't appear as bright from directly behind.